What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 am

Break Limit, an indie game from Xbox Live - a nice little scrolling shooter thing, more of an obstacle course than a battle against evil.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMY9EfLEMlE
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:29 am

Started Resistance 3 the other day and I must say I'm hugely impressed - I've always pretended to like it because that's what a Sony fan is expected to do but...looking back on both Resistance 1 & 2 I have to say they are both atrociously boring games. In comparison, 3 plays like a totally different game! The tone and atmosphere are top notch, as are the characters and voice acting :) the guns have all been over-hauled and now feel far more distinctive and fun to use. AI is improved too, making for tougher fights

And....HEALTH PACKS!

Really enjoying it :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Medal of Honour Underground for PS1. This and the first MoH game for PS1 are still so much fun to play. The graphics are a bit ropey these days but they just feel like very 'pure' FPS' to me before the genre disappeared up an online-focused alley and are just so playable. Some crazy enemy AI too like German soldiers blowing themselves up with their own grenades thanks to awful aiming :lol:

Last night I beat a tough level where you encounter the half-track trucks for the first time (harder to take out than tanks imo). I never got past this stage back in the day but I'm well past it now :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Played through the first three levels of Goldeneye Wii earlier.

On the one hand It's good/interesting that they didn't just update the original but with all the changes I don't know why they just didn't create a new Bond game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:25 pm

dste wrote:Played through the first three levels of Goldeneye Wii earlier.

On the one hand It's good/interesting that they didn't just update the original but with all the changes I don't know why they just didn't create a new Bond game.
Because sticking "Goldeneye" on the box will sell it more than "James bond <insert name>"

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Restarted Resonance of Fate this evening. Can't remember why I stopped playing it last time, but I was only 4 or 5 hours into it anyway.

Seems quite promising so far.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Rinoa wrote:Restarted Resonance of Fate this evening. Can't remember why I stopped playing it last time, but I was only 4 or 5 hours into it anyway.

Seems quite promising so far.

Resonance is pretty great. Just dont go in expecting something like a Final Fantasy experience; alot of scenes in this are lighthearted and humorous, as opposed to FF's usual brooding darkness.

The game is *very* combat-heavy though. So..... many..... battles..... though if you like the combat system as I do, that's nothing bad.

And me, I'm playing some Pinball FX 2, and then I might shout swearwords at Ketsui for awhile. ....and then maybe another blasted attempt at Castlevania.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:13 am

Enslaved oddessy to the west. A real mixed bag. The graphics are nice, some good gameplay ideas and likeable characters. The controls are iffy, too many random deaths and the design is a bit bland. I'm enjoying it and getting angry with it in equal measure, worth a play through though.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:49 am

I've started playing g SSX3 again. It's getting on for 10 years old but still a class game.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 am

Actraiser on the Snes for a bit of retro-goodness. I like th platforming levels more than defending the towns, though.

Also I decided to re-visit the first Gears of War game for some multiplayer matches last night. Thjere are still a fair few people playing that and the experience was thoroughly enjoyable.

Finally I mopped up a few more achievements on Test Drive: Unlimited. There are only a few more single player achievements left to get.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Enslaved oddessy to the west. A real mixed bag. The graphics are nice, some good gameplay ideas and likeable characters. The controls are iffy, too many random deaths and the design is a bit bland. I'm enjoying it and getting angry with it in equal measure, worth a play through though.

^ that's exactly how I felt about it. Lovely rich and colourful environments, but the 'handling' just wasn't up to the likes of Uncharted which I'm used to.

I'm currently into Skyrim (still), Wii Fit Plus (cough), and Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:55 am

Seadog74 wrote:I've started playing g SSX3 again. It's getting on for 10 years old but still a class game.
I had a blast on that too recently after seeing new game play for the upcoming 360/PS3 release.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Psychonauts, on PC this time round, I'm hoping to complete it this time round, I played it a couple of years back on XBOX and got as far as the Napoleon and Bullfighter parts but got stuck and gave up..

SpoonyBard

Post by SpoonyBard » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Playing FF12 on the PS2, and thoroughly enjoying it too.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 pm

SpoonyBard wrote:Playing FF12 on the PS2, and thoroughly enjoying it too.
Is your user name taken from FF4?

Eat your nans pants