What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:45 pm

The yelling at my PSP as to why it wont run things its not supposed to

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Finally re-found my Xbox copy of The Suffering: Ties That Bind, so have switched to that one over the PS2 version, 'cos it's better graphically (bulkier, more detailed, added lighting effects), has a more solid frame rate and the Controller S pumps dump over the Dual Shock 2 for FPS control. Despite all that, PS2 version is still a very handsome game, it's more the difference between rump and rib-eye, might as well have rib-eye if you've got the option.

Really enjoying it, though seems to have these massive difficulty spikes at points, plus the health/ammo situation seems more limited than the original, making it more nerve-inducing to play (I'm playing it as an FPS with the auto-aim off, though you can play it as a 3PS with auto-aim on). It's pretty good at the 'jump factor', too, it's one of the few games in recent years that has spooked me in that way. Downside so far is that it's been very 'urban', the first game was surprisingly pretty varied in it choice of locale(s), hope it gets a tad more varied as it goes on.

Also, seems to be packing in references to the TV show OZ, there's a mad NPC who looks *exactly* like Beecher and your mate in the early parts is a Kareem Said-a-like!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:41 am

Been playing my overclocked Stunt Race FX. The couple of frames do make a hell of a difference, it is much faster and a bit smoother but the main thing is the improved input, there is so little lag now.

Also plenty of Zelda Skyward Sword which I love.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex on PS2. Pretty good, annoying jumpy/platforming parts aside.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:21 pm

PES 2012 (PS3).

Loving the game BUT...

Why the hell didn't they provide an option to disable replays? Every damn booking, offside decision, shot on goal and goal automatically gets replayed (more than once in some cases) and it irritates me intensely that I've to go through the rigmarole of 'cancelling' watching each replay every damn time. All I want to do is play the game without interruption. Is that too much to ask? It would appear so. Grrrrr!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:32 pm

I have just completed Dark Souls which was an amazing experience, so now I have started out on Skyrim which again looks amazing. In between that I have been loving the Daytonaaaaaa HD remake and have just won the Secret Of monkey Island 1 & 2 disc version off flebay all on PS3. I have also got Uncharted 3 and the new Batman to start, my modded Xbox usually gets a look in with 2020 baseball Neo Geo or Kokotoni Wilf Spectrum my current favourites. I also noticed the original Legacy of Kain on ps1 is now on the PSN which will get purchased soon :D
"Time fades even legend..."

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Started Skyrim properly today, didn't spend long picking a character (I'm a Red Guard) as I find all that spell stuff a little taxing for my brain. Certainly is fun just exploring the landscape but I'm gonna stick with the main goals for now.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:47 pm

More KOF XIII. Now that the initial 'wow' factor has worn off, I'm trying out different characters so that I don't just keep using my classic Terry/Ryo/Mai team. Really liking Kyo in this game and I've just been playing as Leona who I never bothered with in previous installments. She's okay but I tend to just stick to my 3-4 hit normal move combos with her rather than her special moves.

Also finding cancelling tough to pull off. It's either super-precise or a really skilled technique. Even using the tutorial mode it took me ages to cancel out of a special into another and even then it was on accident :oops: . I dunno, it seems easier not to bother. Max Cancel's feel easier for me to pull off but it's all about experimenting to see which supers you can do it with.

So still enjoying it, just a tad frustrated that I can't seem to use all the techniques available.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 pm

360:
Gears 3
WWE 12 (loving create a arena)
KOF 13
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Was 'supposed' to be either playing The Suffering: Ties That Bind or Deus Ex: Human Revolution today but instead have been 'testing' a stack of PC games, and have ended up immersed in Curse: The Eye Of Isis, a genuinely good Resi-style survival horror game from 2003, I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Another well-spent quid down the charity shop. ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Megamixer wrote:More KOF XIII. Now that the initial 'wow' factor has worn off, I'm trying out different characters so that I don't just keep using my classic Terry/Ryo/Mai team. Really liking Kyo in this game and I've just been playing as Leona who I never bothered with in previous installments. She's okay but I tend to just stick to my 3-4 hit normal move combos with her rather than her special moves.

Also finding cancelling tough to pull off. It's either super-precise or a really skilled technique. Even using the tutorial mode it took me ages to cancel out of a special into another and even then it was on accident :oops: . I dunno, it seems easier not to bother. Max Cancel's feel easier for me to pull off but it's all about experimenting to see which supers you can do it with.

So still enjoying it, just a tad frustrated that I can't seem to use all the techniques available.
Drive Cancels differ from character to character from what I've found. Guys like Kyo, Kim, Hwa and even Raiden are pretty lenient on the whole but guys like Ryo are super strict on the timing. I'm still trying to find a team that works for me, Kim is great so I've been using him quite a lot and Terry is decent as always but I've been using Hwa, Robert and Takuma quite a bit as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:31 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote:More KOF XIII. Now that the initial 'wow' factor has worn off, I'm trying out different characters so that I don't just keep using my classic Terry/Ryo/Mai team. Really liking Kyo in this game and I've just been playing as Leona who I never bothered with in previous installments. She's okay but I tend to just stick to my 3-4 hit normal move combos with her rather than her special moves.

Drive Cancels differ from character to character from what I've found. Guys like Kyo, Kim, Hwa and even Raiden are pretty lenient on the whole but guys like Ryo are super strict on the timing. I'm still trying to find a team that works for me, Kim is great so I've been using him quite a lot and Terry is decent as always but I've been using Hwa, Robert and Takuma quite a bit as well.
Well I think I'm finding it easier to not bother with Drive Cancels and just focus on my normal combos, supers etc. I'll still try to use the Max Cancels because I've got some of those to work with Leona and Kyo. Heck, it's taking a lot of discipline to remember the fall recovery technique :lol: :oops: . I know a lot of fighting games have some sort of similar feature but I always tend to overlook it.

I like how they redesigned Takuma's stance for this game and made him more his own character rather than another Kyougen Karate type with similar moves to Ryo. I did try him out but to be honest, I didn't click with him.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Moving on from Mario 3d land to Mario Kart 7 and hoping to start Zelda SS if I have time.

In other news I played in the namco x Capcom fight club charity streetfighter x tekken industry event on Friday and came 2nd losing to Ryan King in the final. Was good to play the game though, it has some interesting new combos and special moves. Can't wait for it to come out

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:16 am

Mootown wrote:Moving on from Mario 3d land to Mario Kart 7 and hoping to start Zelda SS if I have time.

In other news I played in the namco x Capcom fight club charity streetfighter x tekken industry event on Friday and came 2nd losing to Ryan King in the final. Was good to play the game though, it has some interesting new combos and special moves. Can't wait for it to come out
Is that the guy from Play magazine? I remember when he was on GamesTM (I think) and the screenshots for the KOF Neowave review said something like "This is what happens when you play Mr Ryan King - you lose very quickly". Bit of a random blast from the past there :lol: . I take it he's a big player of fighting games?

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:23 am

Along with BF3, I've gone back to Oblivion - which I wasn't keen on a year or so ago - I have to say, I'm really enjoying the side quests. Strangely relaxing game. Has done enough to convince me I should get Skyrim over CoD.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.