What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Silent hill 3
Wooo? back in the fair ground
That hunted house is a bit pants

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:55 pm

co-op pit-fighter

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Returned to Arkham Asylum after 2 yrs of not playing it. It's definitely in my top ... of all time. Classic. Finished story again on normal, and just finishing up the riddler trophies etc. got about 20 to do.

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:29 pm

I've recentely finished Batman : Arkham Asylum (excellent), Metal Gear Solid 4 (excellent), Red Dead Redemption : Undead Nightmare (great) all were my first playthroughs. At the moment I'm playing GTAIV and BioShock, both I'm enjoying very much.
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Rage (PS3)

Just played it for my first time following having to download a patch :roll: , waiting for the mandatory 8GB HDD install to complete :roll: and then choosing to download and install the 327MB extra DLC :roll: using the coupon code included. Oh for the days of cartridges! :wink:

Anyways, I've only played a couple of hours of the campaign mode so far so it's not possible to give a true evaluation of the whole game. The graphics are certainly impressive and the (upgraded) zoom function on weapons looks sweet. Textures look a little rough up close truth be told. Frame rate and movement is silky smooth and the inventory system is well implemented. The mission tasks are a bit of chore imho as it's a bit of a drag having to travel back and forth completing tasks - I'm guessing this may change soon though once the initial section/s are completed.

In summary, I'm encouraged with what I've experienced so far and there's a sense the game has much to offer the further one progresses in the campaign.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Dramagod wrote:I've recentely finished Batman : Arkham Asylum (excellent), Metal Gear Solid 4 (excellent), Red Dead Redemption : Undead Nightmare (great) all were my first playthroughs. At the moment I'm playing GTAIV and BioShock, both I'm enjoying very much.
That reminds me, i still haven't got round to playing MGS4 and ive had it since release... Bioshock is fantastic. GTAIV I can take and leave it. Sadly other than graphically, and the car handling, it was outdone by it's predecessor San Andreas, in almost every way. My opinion of course. I did really enjoyed The Ballad Of Gay Tony dlc.

llj

Post by llj » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm on the final few areas of Grandia 2 for the DC. I like it OK, it doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's good for a walk in the park. I sort of wonder if it's not rushed, though, because the last 3rd of the game is basically just a neverending series of dungeons with only small breaks in between to resupply, and not very challenging dungeons at that. But each map screen is too long, the enemies are repetitive (either bugs, crustaceans or tree monsters) and it's a little bit on the easy side, so it's kind of tedious. Although I thought Grandia 1 was a tad too long, there was enough variety in the whole quest to not seem repetitive for most of it. Grandia 2 seems to be shorter, but the last 3rd is kind of a slog.

The story is OK--some people really hate the story in G2 but I don't have a problem with it. It's standard fare but generally tolerable. Characters are generally fun, which is one of the main reasons I've been staying with it.

The graphics are great, though, some of the best color design and textures I've seen in a JRPG, and I think it still looks pretty cool today, even if the characters are a little blocky up close. I don't know why so many Japanese game developers have abandoned bright colorful palettes in favour of more darker, "western-looking" color schemes in today's generation.

I also found it really hilariously lame that the party member you lose gets killed by some random bug (insects, not computer glitch), the same type of bug we've been fighting 500 times throughout the game. Sigh.

Speedball81

Post by Speedball81 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:15 am

Splat! on the Spectrum - it's highly addictive (up there with Tetris).

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 am

richuk123 wrote:Currently destroying brain cells on Football Manager 2012 :D
That makes two of us!

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:12 pm

I always have way too many games half-completed at any one time... right now I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus on PCSX2 and just started Fallout 3 (which, er, crashes rather a lot).

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Dark Souls - why I'm putting myself through the pain I dont know :(

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:33 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Rage
Yay, someone else is playing Rage. I'm playing the 360 version and I'm really liking it. I prefer the racing part of it, the shooter bits are a bit generic. I find shooting the mutants a bit of a chore, they always manage to dodge my shotgun. Saying that, once you get the timing down it is very satisfying taking one out as he rushes you. The rag doll physics are awesome.

I love the driving bits though. Rocket Rally is a work of genius. Reminds me of Revolt on the DC. Also, the regular races remind me of Star Wars Pod Racer for some reason.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Bounders World on IOS for a break, then Black Ops and Rage or Rage and Black OPs - whichever surfaces on my to-plat pile first....

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Im attempting uncharted 3 on crushing skill level after clocking it on hard, and struggling to get past the bar brawl at the mo, effing brutal! I Might go back to dark souls, gears 3 or buy something else that I probably wont complete, tw@ that I am :D :D .

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Played the campaign mode on Rage (PS3) for an obscene amount of hours the past day or so and the slightly bewildering thought remains that I can't decide whether I like the game or if it annoys me! :?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac