What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by pratty » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 pm

More Metroid Prime, just wasted Meta-Ridley without any missiles and had 7 remaining energy tanks, easily my best performance against him. 8)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:05 am

Batman Arkham City, still. There is just no end to this game! Working my way through the combat and predator trials now.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:48 am

Uncharted 3, which is like a cross between the more puzzle orientated Uncharted 1 and the more action orientated Uncharted 2.

Gameplay wise, it's no different to the first 2 games, only the storyline and levels have changed. But it's by no means a bad thing...if it aint broke, don't fix it and it's still great fun to play and the production values are as high as ever.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Started GTA IV Complete Edition at last on the PS3 (had it for ages). It's not as bad as I thought since I feared the worst when people moaned about how different it feels to the PS2 games. The radio is still funny (though the music is crap) and the cars are mostly awesome (Sabre GT ftw) so that's okay. But what's up with the handling? Everything feels like it's sliding on ice when you take a corner. I'm sure the older GTA's had better handling than this.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Shadows of the damned... My work actually doing something right for once and letting us borrow pre owned games. I'm working through the back catalogue of 360 and all the stuff I normally wouldn't have bought. It's a fun game by the way. Too many censored jokes but that's part of the fun and its Suda - I'l forgive him.

any game recommendations seeing though my shop has forever lost me as a customer ?
FEEL FREE TO ADD ME ON XBOX LIVE

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:11 pm

OutRun Online Arcade (PSN/PS3) - I'll never get bored of playing this phenomenal game. :D
Sega Rally Online Arcade (PSN/PS3) - finally getting better at playing this so will be racing online against others next.
Deus Ex: Human Evolution (PS3) - nice game, damn shame for me I'm rubbish at it!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Still playing Rage on the 360. I think this game is cruely underrated. I love id's aesthetic. Like Doom 3, Rage feels so organic and real. As you wonder around Wellspring (one of the level hubs) you can see the attention that's been poured into every nook and cranny. The shadowing, the environmental effects, everything. My only gripe is that, as amazing as everything looks from a distance, close up things get very blurry.

Gameplay-wise it is split nicely between shooting and driving. The driving sections and the races are probably the best bit for me. Rocket Rally is a blast, it reminds me a lot of Revolt on the Dreamcast. I can imagine it would be great fun in multiplayer.

I'm actually playing Fallout New Vegas at the moment and, despite the similar settings, it is incredible how different the two games are from each other.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Moving between Dark Souls, Arkham City and Forza 4.

llj

Post by llj » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:25 am

Playing some Grandia 2 on the DC. Game really looks quite good graphics wise. It feels more like a Lunar game than Grandia. Very straightforward, although sometimes you prefer something like that over the exploratory stuff. Just spent over a half hour wailing on the Eye of Volmar boss. People said this game was easy, but whatever. I'm kind of speeding through it by only levelling when necessary, and only talking to the "important" NPCs. I'm sure most people just overgrind, but I've never played JRPGs that way.

Also been playing a lot of the DC version of Garou, JP version. This version has none of the problems of the NA port, so essentially it's on more equal footing with the PS2 version. Though the XBLA is deservedly considered the definitive version, the Dreamcast port fascinates me. It's really cool seeing this MVS game running seamlessly on a Naomi board (albeit a severely stripped down one), and as expected, it has a really nice arcadey feel, especially if you put it on stereo and use headphones. The Dreamcast version has these really cool "crunchy" battle sounds that's sort of lost in the XBLA port. It's too bad Garou came out when everyone was tired of 2d fighting games, it really is the most accessible 2d fighting game out there, I think, and could have caught on with more casual gamers if it came out 2 years earlier. Every character has generally the same type of input commands for their special moves, so it's easy for anyone to pick up, but the game doesn't feel shallow, either. I still think the Real Bout games are more interesting mechanics wise, but Garou is just fun to pick up and play. It's compared to Third Strike a lot, but they're pretty different aside from the animation quality. I would say that while 3S is a deeper and more technical game, Garou is simply more fun to play, IMO.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:45 am

As well as working through Arkham City and Sonic Generations I'm also playing Spiderman Edge of Time. Its an ok game, I love the concept of exploring the same area with your actions changing the world in the future. The combat is incredibly basic though, I've been spoilt by the superior combat in Batman which is much better. Still a pretty fun game but not a patch on Shattered Dimensions.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Currently playing BFBC2 on-line.Really enjoying it.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Story mode on Battle Fantasia

Great little underrated fighter. The story mode is pretty neat, i like the exchanging dialogues between battles and the art style is fantastic. I need to get to grips with some of the combo's as even the com is kicking my ass!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:35 am

Just failed at beating the final boss on Metroid Prime, haven't got the will to try again for a while.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:50 am

Been playing Dark Souls non-stop since I got it, hell haven't even lurked this lace for a while due to this addiction. I'm on NG+ with more than 90 hours and still want to continue playing.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Working my way through a bunch of games just now

Sonic Generations - Trying to take this one slow! :D mixing up the mains stages and S ranking the various challenges. I simply can't give enough praise to it, the best sonic game since Sonic 2.

Plants v Zombies - I'm late to the party on this one but I'm really enjoying it :D doesn't play quite as well on PS3 as it does on my phone but it looks great in HD

Hydrophobia - This was a free game on PS+ and it's...erm....censored. In literally every sense, what's worse is that it has a brilliant premise, it just totally utterly wastes it on awkward gameplay, crappy story and horrible voice acting.