What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JazzFunk

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 am

Perfect Dark on XBLA. Only really playing it because someone mentioned Shadow Complex was on sale on XBLA and I noticed this was also on sale (I actually bought this ages ago in a similar XBLA sale but have barely bothered with it).

Christ, had loads of drunken FUN with this in the last two hours, it's the first time I've bothered to truly play it since my awkward times spent with the N64 version (which I always felt was "quality" but - overall - inferior to Goldeneye, both as a single player and multiplayer experience).

HATE the fact I can't have an 'aim' option whereby I use the L-stick but apart from that, love how this was "Ridge Racer"d up, they tweaked the smoothness, fluidity, frame rate, TO THE MAX.

It feels enjoyable now. Them tweaks worked well...this is how it always should've been. :D

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Been enjoying some puzzly-type things the last couple of days - bit of Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on the Megadrive and Super Puzzle Fighter II on MAME. Great fun :)
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Masakisu

Post by Masakisu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I suddenly had a random urge to play Psyvariar earlier, so I had a crack at trying to clear Medium Unit.

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm

The Addam's Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt on NES.

Meh/Ugh. Not quite fully Ugh, but very Meh.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:00 am

Shadow Complex

hey_chuck

Post by hey_chuck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:46 am

I am playing the original Deus Ex, on PS2.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 pm

I finally started the Sly Racoon trilogy today, making my way through the first game just now.

I must say I'm very impressed! Visually it looks beautiful and holds up very, very well considering its PS2 roots (maybe thanks to an awesome HD upgrade?) and the gameplay is spot on! The small hub worlds connecting each level is a great design, the focused platforming is great fun and the boss fights put up a fairly decent challenge.

In one 3 hour sitting I'm about 50% of the way through, so I guess it's a fairly short game. Still, considering I've got 2 other Sly games to work through after this one, the length doesn't bother me :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Unchartered 2, I have a 60gb fat PS3 and there were know problems with this game on the first models, haven't tried it in a year so after a lot of game and firmware updates since, it seems (4 chapters in) to be running fine, fingers crossed.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:40 pm

I've been playing some more PS3 games,

Resistance 3
Time Crisis: Razing Storm (using a G-Con 3, not PlayStation Move)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I've been playing some more PS3 games,

Resistance 3
Resistance 3 worth getting? I've completed the first two and enjoyed them.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Just killed Xerxs in BloodRayne 2 so not far left to go now. Some really frustrating and repetetive moments in this game but on the whole it's much better than the first. Really enjoying it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:51 pm

sscott wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I've been playing some more PS3 games,

Resistance 3
Resistance 3 worth getting? I've completed the first two and enjoyed them.
I'm not far very into the campaign mode as of yet but, also from one who has the first two games, I've been quite impressed so far. I like how each weapon has a secondary function, for instance.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm currently playing a few different Snes games that I picked up ages ago and have only just got round to playing:

Star Fox. Never put much time into this, I've always preferred Star Fox 64. The one thing I do notice about the game is that its way harder than SF64, certain shots do way more damage to your ship. I've managed to clear the easy path but am still trying to complete the other 2 paths, the difficulty is quite a nice change as revisiting SF64 recently reminded me how easy that game is by comparison!

Rendering Ranger R2. Reminds me of Turrican 2 with its blend of platforming and ship sections. Just difficult enough to keep me on my toes :mrgreen:

Final Fight 3. I like the new moves that Capcom added along with the hidden rooms and alternate exits but it just doesn't feel as fun as the original FF was, I still prefer it to FF2 though...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Considering that I found my DSi and the touch screen works now for some reasion I played a bit of Zelda Sprit tracks

Urgh I hate it. To much touch screen crap

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:40 am

Went back to playing Soul Bubbles on the DS.

I originally stopped playing it as just wasn't really getting into it and am still not in all honesty. Only completed two areas so far so I'm going to complete a couple more to see how I feel about it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!