What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipsStockton

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ChipsStockton » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Black Ops has sucked me back in with it's new Zombie maps. I played the new Moon one while round a mate's and it was enough to part me with my cash.

Insane it is, like Doom with zombies and moon physics.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Vanquish on the X360. Fantastic. Splendid visuals, involving, rewarding... can't get my finger off the trigger. Better than Gears of War IMO, and that's all there's to say.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 am

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (Wii). Man, the console version of this is just as sweet as the DS version. Though it would seem this version has more songs and all the tracks aren't carbon copies of the DS version. I may have to turn off the announcer. Can see him getting annoying over time.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:53 am

Bored with Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, so I've moved onto Morrowind and Wings of Prey. The former was a charity shop buy last year, the latter was £3 in a Steam sale recently.

Spent my evening getting used to the controls, haven't played a flight simmy WWII game in ages, but enjoyed my time with it so far. Online seems deserted when I tried.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 am

Deus EX the new one.

Urgh updating XBox, then MENUS!!
I DONT WANT TO READ I WANT TO PLAY!!

I got this game for a week

dste

Post by dste » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

Started playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes after completing the first one this morning.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Had a quick blast on that Blowout.

Surprisingly good for a budget title.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Working my way through MGS Portable Ops. I bought the game in the Silent Hill double pack a few years back, but couldn't get into it. I found the controls awkward, could not get used to the sneaking around and seemingly being spotted when I shouldn't have been, and did not enjoy it. Fast forward to now, and I'm loving it. Took me a while to get into it, but it's a very enjoyable game now, and I'm quite liking all the sneaking around, knocking someone out, and taking them back to my truck (let's see The Daily Mail quote me on that!)

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Been playing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) non-stop. This game is just the best sRPG on any platform. I haven't played the Disgaea series, Fire Emblem, Eternal Poison, etc but I've played my fair share of sRGPs and boy does this game nail everything good about this genre while avoiding most of the annoying gameplay mechanics associated with it.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:27 pm

With my John Thomas, although takign a break to type as there is no longew Elf bums on thois site.

Just a banner saying do I wnt to get fit for summer.....

Summer is over Fuck off!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Final Fantasy IV. Bought it on DS January '08, finally playing it now.
Fantastic game.

llj

Post by llj » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Fired up another round of Gradius V. How the hell do you beat the Stage 5 boss (asteroid stage) without dying once? This is the first instance of true "bullet hell" in this game and trying to dodge all those tiny little star-barbs asks for more ability than I am capable of! Oh well, at least I got earned yet another extra credit for my troubles. I hope I can beat this game before the 17 hour mark. I'm up to around 4 hours total of playtime now, reached Stage 6 for the first time.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

My eyes need to rest and I keep dying.

Ill continue playing Deus EX Human Revolution later

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Started Golden Axe Beast Rider on the PS3 yesterday and played it solidly for a few hours. Unlike some, I actually think the excessive blood and skimpily-clothed Tyris take the Golden Axe series closer to being a Conan-esque world which I always thought the original games were trying to be. So I like the overall design and art direction but...there are so many things that suck.

Beasts are too easy to get killed/stolen (kinda makes the game's subtitle redundant), the progression is far too linear, everything looks the same (I said I liked the design but some variety would be nice) and there are some horrible difficulty spikes. I mean, having lives and then having to restart the whole level again if you lose them all is kinda like a throwback to the challenges of old games but at the same time, having to slog through loads of battles just to get back to where you were is no fun.

Too many generic switch-pushing 'puzzles' and killing enemies to open gates as well.

So yeah, some things I like but the gameplay isn't impressing me at the moment. Think I'll review this one :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Just finished the first stage of Banjo Kazooie Grunty's Revenge and am so very surprised at the quality and Banjo Kazooie feel that Rare managed to squash into something the size of a bourbon biscuit. I'm curious what will proceed the generic/essential "green" stage... a water stage undoubtedly!
Chazz it up!!!