What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowNeku

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Primal on PS2.

I have to say im finding the main character Jen to be quite aggrivating. Shes overly sarcastic, constantly making jokes and puns, trying too hard to be cool and its not encouraging me to like her. Ill try and stick with the game but ill fail to appreciate it if i simply dont like the lead character.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:52 am

L.A. Noire. Excellent game, lip-sinc and facial expressions are on a level never seen before, IMO.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:41 am

Hiro wrote:L.A. Noire. Excellent game, lip-sinc and facial expressions are on a level never seen before, IMO.
Give us a quick potted review, as I've definitely got this on order. Angry Joe said it was best to play it in short bursts, so it doesn't get samey and boring. What do you think?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:01 am

Freestyler wrote:
Hiro wrote:L.A. Noire. Excellent game, lip-sinc and facial expressions are on a level never seen before, IMO.
Give us a quick potted review, as I've definitely got this on order. Angry Joe said it was best to play it in short bursts, so it doesn't get samey and boring. What do you think?
I agree, it's not a game I'd like to play for hours... It's best "tasted" in one-hour-max sessions, IMO. Story and characters are interesting, the investigation stages are a bit all the same (search areas, find objects, manipulate objects, find clues, head for another area), 1940's LA is beautifully recreated and full of life, action sequences are good. Only, I find it a bit difficult to remember the previous cases of the story, and playing it in short bursts doesn't help to keep track of everything that's happened before. But overall, definitely a game worth playing.

(I'm playing it on the X360, but I think there are no real differences on the PS3)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 am

After a few hours ive actually already given up on Primal. Awkward, clumsy, floaty combat, annoying lead character, environments where its unclear what you can interact with (which leads me to aimless wandering around) and nothing particularly compelling to keep me interested.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Crackdown 2 Xbox 360.

Better than the original in the way it's structured but comes with a day/night cycle mechanic that effectively makes it a great game to look at followed by a really drab game to look at. All the mayhem of the first game is there and this time it's a lot easier to find the orbs. I found ploughing a car through streets jam packed with freaks to be every bit as enjoyable as driving the sports car through the maintenance tunnels in Dead Rising. Sometimes wholesale and effortless carnage is all we want from game.

I'm mentioning this because I picked it up for £8 in Morrison's bargain bin so if you're looking for a game with substantial replay value and a very high mess about factor that costs next to nothing then some of you might want to check this out.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 am

Its to bad about the last mission.
Not done that yet as it annoys the fug outa me

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 am

DPrinny wrote:Its to bad about the last mission.
On Crackdown 2?
I've got one of them bomb things to do and some freak breaches to close then I'm into the end game and whatever that entails. If it's a load of mank I'll just bin the game tbh. It was an impulse buy and at £8 I've got more than my money's worth out of it already. Can't be arsed going for all the orbs and suchlike. I didn't like the tedious collecting of the first game and although it looks like it's less of a chore this time around it's still a chore however you cut it.
I definitely prefer Crackdown 2 to Crackdown though. Crackdown was just a virtual playground with very little to do except jumping around collecting stuff while admiring the scenery and amusing yourself with the combat because the game didn't provide much of interest in that direction itself. The sequel has more direction to it. It feels a bit meatier. And there's no bosses. I'd give it top marks just for that tbh.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

You will know

JOY!!!
a 15 year old laptop running one of my fave games

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Hiro wrote:I agree, it's not a game I'd like to play for hours... It's best "tasted" in one-hour-max sessions, IMO. Story and characters are interesting, the investigation stages are a bit all the same (search areas, find objects, manipulate objects, find clues, head for another area), 1940's LA is beautifully recreated and full of life, action sequences are good. Only, I find it a bit difficult to remember the previous cases of the story, and playing it in short bursts doesn't help to keep track of everything that's happened before. But overall, definitely a game worth playing.
Excellent. I'll keep it on my to-buy list since it looks really cool, and getting real actors in makes the game as far as I'm concerned. The facial capturing alone looks impressive!
Crunchy wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Its to bad about the last mission.
On Crackdown 2?
I've got one of them bomb things to do and some freak breaches to close then I'm into the end game and whatever that entails. If it's a load of mank I'll just bin the game tbh. It was an impulse buy and at £8 I've got more than my money's worth out of it already.
I liked Crackdown 2, but preferred the mission structure of the original. Closing Freak Breaches and powering up all those thingies just got too samey. Plus the complete lack of any discernible plot (bar finding those hidden logs) was bullshit. It's so obviously a set-up for Crackdown 3 that it's not even worth mentioning. The Faction system is barely worth discussing either, and certainly isn't a patch on the Volk/Shai-Gen/Los Muertos power struggle. Plus the millions of Freaks (at night time) are as threatening as picking your nose with a baby wipe. When the big ones come (the Agency mutated Freaks) then it gets a little bit tricky, but until then it's cake. The DLC Deluge is cool though, and recommended at least.

You have to search the web for the animated Crackdown 2 cartoons and comics to get the "full" story. Without them the game's pretty bland. Pity they weren't in the actual game, as they're pretty good and flesh the game out well.

CRACKDOWN 2 SPOILERS! DO NOT READ!!

Yeah, the last mission, where you have to protect the Tower from the Agency Freak invasion is total and utter bullshit. It took me so many times to finish it that it actually stopped me playing it for a while. It's just ludicrous and unfair. You have to actually figure out a way to cheese the game in order to do it. That's unforgivable.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Freestyler wrote:the last mission, where you have to protect the Tower from the Agency Freak invasion is total and utter bullshit.
After a couple of attempts I can say that's a frank and entirely accurate review of Crackdown's final mission there. I'm only playing it on Tough difficulty too. Which translates to "Normal" difficulty in the real world. Or maybe even "Easy" if the game's Fragile difficulty is actually every other game's "Very Easy" difficulty.
What I'm saying here is I'm glad I'm not attempting this last mission on Hard because it's been designed with co-op in mind and I'm going it alone. A real cop out by the devs considering the rest of the game could be handled solo with no real problems.

The thing with the Crackdowns and story is that there isn't one. Both games are pretty empty experiences if you're looking for an engaging storyline. I've played Crackdown and couldn't tell you much about the story. There's you and some gangs - FIGHT! That's about it. The guy who waffles on about stuff? Well he just waffles on about stuff. I'm too busy killing and jumping and making things explode to bother about the stuff he's waffling on about.
Crackdown 2 is more of the same. I'm actually still playing it, the game is fresh in my mind, and I can't tell you much about the story really. There's you and some freaks and some other guys who aren't freaks - FIGHT!
The guy waffles on again. You pick up stuff and other people do a bit of waffling. Does anybody actually listen to it all then? If knowing what was happening in this sandbox cartoon world delivered a new weapon I think I'd be listening more.
I can't tell you what happens in the story for the Just Cause games either now I come to think of it. I just don't play this type of game for story.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Forza 3 on Xbox 360, slowly, making good progress. Pretty hooked on this game again. Was gonna pick up Bastion but have too many games as it is, pretty fun game though.

Also lot's of PSP goodness, Gran Turismo PS1 is still an impressive racer, no wonder it blew me away all them years ago. Gonna get the Atari ST up and running on it this evening, not a computer I particularly love but the Amiga emu isn't said to be too great, the ST emu on the other hand is said to be close to perfection so I'll happily settle for it. Stunt Car Racer and Oids in the palm of your hand, what more do you need? 8)

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:33 pm

I bought SSF4 Arcade Edition last night so spent a couple of hours fighting online. As always only won about 20% of the fights but learning all the time!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Crunchy wrote:
Freestyler wrote:the last mission, where you have to protect the Tower from the Agency Freak invasion is total and utter bullshit.
After a couple of attempts I can say that's a frank and entirely accurate review of Crackdown's final mission there.
Yup it is

Thats two games in my life I have decided that are to annoying to bother doing the last bit with (Half life 2 ep2 is the other)

I prefer the first. Mainly because it wasn't some mutant bulshite. It was gunning gangs down, but twos good. Just not as good