What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

nakamura

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by nakamura » Sun May 08, 2011 1:16 pm

C=Style wrote: Mighty Final Fight,
Is ace and my fav home version of the game. 8)

I have reached the Black Tower on Zelda Oracle of Ages. Its damn hard now, think I need a sword upgrade.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sun May 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Finished Little Big Planet 100%. Great game and looking forward to getting the sequel.

Now working my way through Uncharted (57% so far). I'm finding this game frustrating and not as fun as the sequel, which was one of my favourite releases in 2009.

Also playing Mario Galaxy 2. No complaints whatsoever so far.

As for retro.. nothing is getting a look in at the moment. Tony Hawks 4 has been on recently strangely enough. Have a craving to play a Dizzy game.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I've spent this afternoon playing Ninja Scooter Simulator on the Spectrum. After completing 100 rounds, the round counter resets back to 1, and it had already been recycling levels so I think I've seen everything the game has to offer.

It's a fun enough game, but there's little challenge to it once you work out how to cope with each type of obstacle or enemy. I know this is an arcade style game, so it's the score that counts, but after a while the game stops upping the difficulty (in fact it keeps getting easier in places) so theoretically I could still be playing this time tomorrow without having lost a single round. That doesn't really appeal.

It plays well, though, and is fun for an occassional go. It's just a shame there's no challenge or ending.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 08, 2011 3:57 pm

C=Style wrote:Capcom Classics Mini-Mix on the GBA Micro, a very cool compilation of games - Mighty Final Fight, Bionic Commando and Strider all NES conversions but there's something very nice about being able to play these games on the Micro. Not sure about Strider, but the other 2 games are total classics.
Is that an official release? Wouldn't mind giving MFF a go on the ol' GBA myself :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun May 08, 2011 5:21 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. I like it so far :D The inclusion of zombie's and other creatures (Sasquatch etc.) and the out there story is a nice welcome change to the serious tone of the main story. Probably the most fun I've had with DLC since Shivering Isles.
Me too. I got it Xmas but not had much of a chance to play it but got stuck into it last night and like it. I thought it was going to be pants to be honest but *thumbs up* from me.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun May 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I set up the Famicom yesterday to try out some of the games I've collected over the past few months.

I've found Konami's Quarth to be an amazing game. It's a vertical shooter/puzzle type thing where your are firing blocks to fill boxes and clear them from your path.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 08, 2011 6:31 pm

nakamura wrote:
Certainly is a very good little beat 'em up. Have you played River City Ransom?

I've had enough of Wave Race Blue Storm now, there's a brilliant game inside just waiting to get out but it just hasn't clicked properly with me. I've managed to complete the normal championship in 1st place few times and moments of it was very fun but there's something fundamentally wrong with the handling. I played Hydro Thunder Hurricane today and while that game is not without it's own faults, it never get's frustrating like Blue Storm as you do at least feel in good control of the craft.

The things is, I feel Nintendo intentionally made the handling inaccessible to provide a large learning curve and satisfaction from mastering it but I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it.

I'm gonna try 1080 Avalanche next as it's another game that I haven't been able to click with.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Megamixer wrote:
C=Style wrote:Capcom Classics Mini-Mix on the GBA Micro, a very cool compilation of games - Mighty Final Fight, Bionic Commando and Strider all NES conversions but there's something very nice about being able to play these games on the Micro. Not sure about Strider, but the other 2 games are total classics.
Is that an official release? Wouldn't mind giving MFF a go on the ol' GBA myself :)
Yes that's an official release but Japanese only I think. You'll definitely want to pick it up for your Japanese collection, it really is very good.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sun May 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Megamixer wrote: Is that an official release? Wouldn't mind giving MFF a go on the ol' GBA myself :)
It is, but it was only released in the US, if that helps you find it. I don't think there was a Japanese release, though.

As for me...
NIN-2 JUMP (360) - Finished gathering the rest of the achievements today. A small but neatly formed platformer from Cave, which is pretty easy for the first 40 or so levels then ramps the difficulty up for the last 10- shame they don't get more difficult sooner, but the Score Attack mode makes up for this somewhat. The stages are short, but whittling down your times is quite satisfying (especially when you're given the hookshot/power mode and can zip through them recklessly) and the graphic style is charming. Really worth a look.

Undercover Cops (Arcade/MAME) - From the developers of Metal Slug (well, key MS staff members worked on this game, and their other Irem work includes In the Hunt, Gunforce II and... Irem Skins Game?!) comes a great scrolling brawler. I always mention this game when the genre comes up, but I've been playing this a lot lately, and I'd call it one of the best- the wide variety of moves you can perform, the highly-detailed art-style and the quirky weapons like a wrecked land-rover- but the bosses almost ruin it.
They're really, really obnoxious, like the mole dude who teleports underground every time he's hit and the final boss who never stands still and can break your combos with relative ease. Despite repeated attempts with all three characters, there doesn't seem to be a consistent strategy to use against them, and they drag the fights out for far too long, which is a shame- otherwise it'd be up there with Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Aliens Vs. Predator. Otherwise, this is great stuff (as long as you avoid the US version).
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun May 08, 2011 7:06 pm

just starting Star Wars Renegade Squadron on PSP & also trying out the capcom arcade app on iPhone. Street Fighter II without a physical pad - it'll be different...

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun May 08, 2011 7:29 pm

I've just been playing WEC Le Mans for the first time ever. OK, so it's the Spectrum version, but it's still pretty good considering the limitations of its time. It's quite difficult, too, but I think I shall persevere.

I also tried the Spectrum version of Live and Let Die. Can't say I liked it much.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Have been sick all weekend, so nothing much got played. I did however break out the Virtual Boy (mainly to test that it worked) and played some Wario Land on it - it's not a bad game at all, and kind of cool how you can move between the 'background' and the 'foreground'.

Managed to take this shot through the left hand eyepiece with my phone...

All the reviews were right though - a bit of a headache not far into playing it (though whether that was caused by me already being sick, I don't know). It probably would have been an alright system if they had worked out some way to 'wear' the system rather than having to sit in an awkward position with it on a table.
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun May 08, 2011 11:11 pm

C=Style wrote:
nakamura wrote:
Certainly is a very good little beat 'em up. Have you played River City Ransom?
Yep I completed it was back in 92/93 ish when it came out. I was baffled when Total!, one of my fav magazines gave it only 53%, I thought it was a superb fighter.

Looks ace on PSP too. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Street fighter alpha 3 on Dreamcast.
The world tour mode is more of a arse
Uaithne wrote:Have been sick all weekend, so nothing much got played. I did however break out the Virtual Boy (mainly to test that it worked) and played some Wario Land on it - it's not a bad game at all, and kind of cool how you can move between the 'background' and the 'foreground'.

Managed to take this shot through the left hand eyepiece with my phone...

All the reviews were right though - a bit of a headache not far into playing it (though whether that was caused by me already being sick, I don't know). It probably would have been an alright system if they had worked out some way to 'wear' the system rather than having to sit in an awkward position with it on a table.
Try it with a broken stand.
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

thl

Post by thl » Sun May 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks to the Double XP Weekend, I entered the 3rd Prestige in Call of Duty: Black Ops.