What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by sscott » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:35 pm

On the final level of Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, its doing my head in now... must complete damnit!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:56 pm

nakamura wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Shift 2 on PC.

Looks really nice. It is trying very hard to be Grid.
Why would you want to try hard to be a rubbish game?

Well, there were a large selection of people that really only played the Touring car section of this online. Being a huge fan of touring cars, I get the feel of speed around the track in comparison to the real thing - Grid gets damn close and is fantastic online (if you avoid the hackers).
Shift 2 on the other hand is unresponsive and slow. I just can't believe I got this game without downloading a hacked version first. I played again for 2 hours last night - and I sit here with my fist shaking at the screen. Grrrrrrrrrr
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Shenmue 2

I recently found I had lost both my Shenmue 1 and 2 save files on my DC. Luckily I still have the Xbox version which I picked it back up from an early point in the game. Really loving it so far, cannot believe I have left it this long to complete this.

newoldgamer

Post by newoldgamer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Civilzation 2, just got into it again after finding the disc. FIRE THE NUKES!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 am

Just gave my CDi a run through (possibly the first time since I bought it off of SirClive at Rewind) - hmmm. Think I might pick up a few more games, because despite the obvious limitations I quite enjoyed it. Well, truth be told, I enjoyed 7th Guest and not the others.

Started playing Shift 2 last night as well. I echo the statement that it's trying to be Grid a bit too much. And what the hell is with the defauly 'helmet' cam? Why was the camera turning into the corners? It was one of the most disorienting things I've come across in a racing game and put me right off. Standard in car view is much better though - better than the first one, and the graphics are lovely, but it's no Grid beater yet (and yes, i'm another one of those who thought Grid was a superb game, simply because it captured that touring car feel; more about racing wheel to wheel with other drivers in the same cars than pimping out your ride and boring, 'realistic' physics. Motor racing as a sport, not a casual drive, as it were).

I'm also getting into Pikmin, a game thats sat on my shelf for too long. Wonderful, wonderful game.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 am

Power Snooker on the Itouch (cannot for the life of me understand the scoring in this....)

Pool Paradise - PC

Hustle Kings - PS3 with Move

Side Pocket - Megadrive

Minnesota Fats - Megadrive (which is very very similar to Side Pocket)

and 8 ball mini pool via Miniclip website....

All good, but I must admit Hustle Kings is the best of the bunch at the moment........

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 am

nokgod wrote:Tetris....all i see are blocks.....i was even reorganising pallets today at work for the best fit with no gaps..... :lol:
Snap....I play that game every night

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:09 am

Space_turnip wrote:Just gave my CDi a run through (possibly the first time since I bought it off of SirClive at Rewind) - hmmm. Think I might pick up a few more games, because despite the obvious limitations I quite enjoyed it. Well, truth be told, I enjoyed 7th Guest and not the others.
Let us know if you find any. I worked my way through 20+ games before giving up :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 am

Powerful Golf on the DS. Interesting power meter where you have to control its accuracy before the power circle zones out and you end up with a weaker shot. There's plenty of game modes and am currently playing through the world tour mode, great game.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:18 am

Space_turnip wrote:
Started playing Shift 2 last night as well. I echo the statement that it's trying to be Grid a bit too much. And what the hell is with the defauly 'helmet' cam? Why was the camera turning into the corners? It was one of the most disorienting things I've come across in a racing game and put me right off. Standard in car view is much better though - better than the first one, and the graphics are lovely, but it's no Grid beater yet (and yes, i'm another one of those who thought Grid was a superb game, simply because it captured that touring car feel; more about racing wheel to wheel with other drivers in the same cars than pimping out your ride and boring, 'realistic' physics. Motor racing as a sport, not a casual drive, as it were).
Are you finding the car doesn't like turning into corners? - It's doing my head in.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 pm

markopoloman wrote: Are you finding the car doesn't like turning into corners? - It's doing my head in.
Yeah, the cars undesteer a lot. The very first track, with it's 90 degree turns highlighted that. The helmet cam made it even worse - the camera turned towards the corner so it disorientated me into thinking I was turning more than I really was. It's better in the in car view (and when you get to drive the hot lap gauntlet events you can see the better cars are far more responsive), but it's still not perfect.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Started Batman: Arkham Asylum on the 360 before work this morning. Probably one of the best comic-based games I've played ... at least for some years. Good to see a 'Batman game' redeem itself after the travesty that was Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
markopoloman wrote: Are you finding the car doesn't like turning into corners? - It's doing my head in.
Yeah, the cars undesteer a lot. The very first track, with it's 90 degree turns highlighted that. The helmet cam made it even worse - the camera turned towards the corner so it disorientated me into thinking I was turning more than I really was. It's better in the in car view (and when you get to drive the hot lap gauntlet events you can see the better cars are far more responsive), but it's still not perfect.
I haven't played Shift 2 yet but Shift 1 crapped all over Grid for the feel of real racing. The handling on Grid was terrible, felt like a digital arcade game, miles worse then the Toca games in fact. I found Shift 1 to feel the closest I have ever felt to real racing. It is a total rush to play.

I really wanted to like Grid but just didn't.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 pm

nakamura wrote: I haven't played Shift 2 yet but Shift 1 crapped all over Grid for the feel of real racing. The handling on Grid was terrible, felt like a digital arcade game, miles worse then the Toca games in fact. I found Shift 1 to feel the closest I have ever felt to real racing. It is a total rush to play.

I really wanted to like Grid but just didn't.
Found the handling in Grid far better than the first Shift, and the TOCA games. Realism I couldn't give two hoots about - but the car handled responsively, if you made a mistake it was your mistake and not the game, and the races were tough, fun and exciting, with evenly matched cars that meant winners were decided on who was the best driver rather than who had the fastest car (and like MPM said, if you knew where to look the online was superb). I thought it found the balance between 'serious' racer and Arcade racing better than any game before or since, and certainly better than Shift, which got very boring very quickly (although I'll admit I didn't last a huge amount of time in the game, and a sealed PS3 copy is still waiting for me to go through, which I shall be soon). No problems with those who don't like it, I know plenty don't, but Grid, and Dirt, and the Colin McRae and TOCA games before them, have for me been the most consistant, exciting racing games of the last decade. Shift isn't quite there yet...although it's closer than it was before.

I think the problem many have with Grid is that it doesn't fit into either the arcade racing genre or the serious sim genre, so it's sort of disappointing to anyone who want's it to be either of them. I never approached it like that, I wanted it to be a continuation of the TOCA series with simple, fun handling and I wasn't disappointed.

But then Codemasters do own my soul...
Last edited by Space_turnip on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Just been playing some Starfox 2 (SNES). It's fascinating to see how it's affected other games in the series since, despite not being officially released itself.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!