What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:42 am

Finally got around to playing Red Dead Redemption last night (got it for Xmas!), and so far I'm loving it. Just running around on the horse, stopping people from getting eaten by wolves and playing Five-Finger Fillet, it's a lot of fun. Haven't gotten anywhere with regards to the actual story (just done my third job with Armadillo's Marshall), but like all Rockstar games, it's an absolute devourer of time. Started playing last night at around 9:30-ish, then all of a sudden it was 4:30!

Yeah, it's good.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Last resort - neo geo. After a bit of messing about I finally got this working and i'm a little dissapointed. The ship is the size of a house, enemies are more interested in crashing into you than shooting you and the checkpoints are harsh. Plays more like an adventure game than a shmup, still, early days.
Yes,it is a tough game. It took me a while to figure out how best to use the probe.I'm still only on the second level after all these years. :evil:

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Three or so hours into Epic Mickey & it's, umm, okay I guess. :?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Hmm, STILL liking the look of Epic Mickey. How close would you say it was to Mickey Mania? In terms of gameplay, not geography, obviously.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Pass. It's the first Mickey game that I've ever played. Sorry. :oops: I am struggling with the camera at the moment, although I think that's just me!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Ive wanted that since it came out, but with such a backlog of games to get through ive kept it off. Plus my Wii doesnt see an awful lot of use these days :P
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Street Fighter 4 on 3DS, not sure whether to use the d-pad or analogue stick though, it's a good game all the same.

giss

Post by giss » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Wolfenstein 3D (PSN)
Well, what can I say? It's a classic. I bought it earlier today and I've finished chapter 1 & 2 so far.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Grabbed the 120th star earlier this week, so now I'm trying to grab the green "hide and seek" stars. If I know myself I fear I will put this game aside soon, only to rediscover it in a few months.

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (PC)
Been playing this online with a friend sometimes lately, currently a lvl 50 Warrior on Legendary.

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Killzone on the PS2, years ago somebody told me it was rubbish, so never bothered with it, but picked it up for a quid the other day and im really enjoying it
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:53 pm

My copy of Demon's Souls arrived while I was out yesterday, so I finally got a chance to try it today. So far I am loving it, despite the difficulty. It took a little while to click, but now I think I am going to enjoy the experience.

I also tried Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception for the first time. It's a surprisingly good game. I haven't okayed anything in the series since the PS1 original, but got this on a whim.

Finally, I did a little more Fallout 3. I've just got Broken Steel to do and I've completed the game.

TickledPink

Post by TickledPink » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Too busy writing a new take on a retro game to play much at the moment. But one game that's taking a fair bit of my time is Quadra on my Windows Phone. Tempted to write a version for the Vectrex if I get the chance.

It's free, simple and thanks to the high score table, very addictive if you're as competitive as I am. Just hope I'm able to control that competitive temper ... Windows Phones are rather more expensive than Atari joysticks or a 16k issue one Spectrum. :'(

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 am

Crysis 2. A little slow in hitting its stride to begin with, but a nice change from the usual console fps milarky. Although, I think some may see it as a taking steps backwards from the original.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 am

Lord Innit wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Last resort - neo geo. After a bit of messing about I finally got this working and i'm a little dissapointed. The ship is the size of a house, enemies are more interested in crashing into you than shooting you and the checkpoints are harsh. Plays more like an adventure game than a shmup, still, early days.
Yes,it is a tough game. It took me a while to figure out how best to use the probe.I'm still only on the second level after all these years. :evil:
Last Resort is great once you can do the first stage without dying - full power-ups on the blue laser thing makes things good :) Second stage has awesome music on the Neo CD as well. I used to be able to get to the final stage on 1CC back in the day, Stick with it

dste

Post by dste » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:29 am

Been progressing through X-Men Legends on the Cube a fair bit this weekend.

Had a bit of a scary moment when I couldn't progress from Muir Island after I had completed everything, had a look online and it turns out that it's a common problem where you have to reset the machine and reload your file to progress. Did that and moved on fine.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:35 am

Had a playthrough of Killzone 3 this weekend, it really is the first exclusive PS3 FPS I've played that I've been really impressed with and it really ranks up there with the 360s finest. Great set pieces, an improved control system(the second games control system was shocking), and compelling storyline.

Also picked up Bulletstorm the other day, what a great game - going for those skill shots is just plain fun - is it just me or does the game feel like Gears?

R-Type - Gameboy Stunning little conversion, the first level seems tricky in comparison to the second which seems very easy.