What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gmintyfresh

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:27 am

Started playing Darksiders on the PS3, wow what a great game I love the almost comic book feel to the game. Considering all the moves they've got mapped to the control system it all works quite slickly.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 am

Apart from War having about as much personality as a house brick and the combat being a little too button bashy for my tastes, I really enjoyed Darksides.

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:34 am

Currently playing Barbarians on the Psion Series 5. Okay yes, that's a plug for my forthcoming game. :-) I'm also, still, playing Warlords for MS-DOS. And I'm just about to take a look at Crimbo, a new game for the Spectrum - though I might wait till the holiday period proper for that one.
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Started playing Darksiders on the PS3, wow what a great game I love the almost comic book feel to the game. Considering all the moves they've got mapped to the control system it all works quite slickly.
You're just playing all my fave games at the min - Darksiders rocked, it goes proper Zelda on you later in terms of the weapons and power-ups you receive and even a lot of the dungeon puzzles. Right up to the end it's awesome - the end battle is even a really good pay-off. Keep an eye out for secret areas - dropping down holes, looking up high etc - superb game, it's God of War fused with Zelda and nicks the best bits from both - love it. Sequel coming end of next year too :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
Mootown wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Gaiares (MD) - Been giving this game some serious hammer it's such a class shooter.

Ibara (PS2) - loads of fun but man is this tough!!
Gaires is amazing - have you got to the boss that's just like a big machine against the right hand side of the screen? it's near the end, it fires loads - I seem to remember it having a chain gun of sorts. It takes about 5 hours to kill!! I remember finding a safe spot and being utterly overjoyed! I have more than once 1cc'ed it, it remains one of my proudest shmup 1cc's (that and gynoug which is nails at the end as I'm sure you know)

Love the music to Gaires and the different route choices in some of the stages - the underwater level where it drains half way through is wicked
I've not played it as much as you mate!! From what you've told me about the game later I'm really looking forward to it, I must admit I'm enjoying every second so far - love the soundtrack It really enhances the pace the game. And from what I've seen some lovely boss battles, I really think this is one of the best Megadrive shmups I've played. It's a bit of a travesty that this never got a PAL port.
Gaires is so good as it remains the only game I ever swapped Thunderforce III for with a friend - For a limited time! That in itself is high praise from me as Thunderforce is the god of all games and for Gaires to replace it for a few months was an honour to Gaires :) The weapon system is super cool how you nick weapons from other enemies - there's a 'cheat' of sorts - if you shoot out your little module I think 10 times without a lock-on then lock-on to an enemy you get a secret weapon (might not be ten times - I'm sure gamefaqs.com would tell the truth if not)

I really want to go play it now :)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:07 am

Crysis, courtesy of ipmarks. Pretty good, graphics are amazing and I'm surprised it works on default on my ageing PC. The vehicle controls are pretty pants though and I seem to get a lot of random death syndrome, especially in the VTOL.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:40 am

Gaires is indeed a top shooter but I think it's brutal in difficulty. About 10 years ago when I first picked it up I stuck with it and made some solid progress up to about the 4th level but these days I can bearly get off the first. You need to be on your game to enjoy it but yeah it's one of the MD highlights.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am

QuantZ
A little tweaking (make the balls/fireballs all come from the same spot) to the game and it will be outstanding

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Sword of Vermillion.

It's not the best rpg on the MD, but I still like it. The real-time combat is basic, but makes a refreshing change from the turn-based fighting of the era. I'm starting to encounter some more interesting enemy types, as well. Fighting slimes and kobalds was getting old.

Incidentally, why does every jrpg seem to have a blob of slime as a basic level enemy?

(Except Final Fantasy, obviously).

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Double Dragon NES.
I still cannot beat stage 3 at all.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Well i was giving Wind Waker another run through...but the daughter spotted me playing and said "oooh, I remember this, can I have a go?".

That was three days ago, and i haven't been able to get near it since. She's ripped straight past where i'd got to in about 3 hours and proceeded to mock me... :(

So now i'm not playing anything....unless you count Chainz 2: Relinked on the PC, as this is the only place i'm allowed to get near a screen, atm :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Just been having a bit of mindless multiplayer fun on Fifa with my son.Neither of us are really big Football fans so i dont know why we decided to play it out of the million other games we could have played.Was a good laugh for an hour or two though.Ended up whooping his arse aswell :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Tonight I played some Saints Row 2 on 360, which was a nice change of pace, I do love my sandbox games and I've always liked this one as it never takes itself serious and doesn't pretend to be the best at anything but it's a lot of fun in places. The only problem is I cannot seriously believe how bad the framerate is, now either my 360 is on the way out or I just forgot what it was like but it's crippling slow in places, dropping down to around 5 fps with V-sync disabled, it's pretty horrible to say the least and makes it's hard to aim with all the input lag.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:18 pm

I started playing Uncharted 2 Among Thieves today!

First things first, it works on my PS3 without a hitch :D I guess it was my just lame old PS3.

Anyways, the game is astounding! I'm actually reluctant to call it a game, it's as close to an interactive movie as we'll ever get. Amazing characters, interesting story and pretty much flawless gameplay. My only gripe is the cover system, it's nowhere near as fluid as it needs to be for the stealth sections.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Beat Hazard
It responds to what every music your playing.
Echoes - Pink Floyd - Crap it was dead
Madhater - Big Elf - BRING ON THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Song to Comus - Comus - Works out as well as could be expected
Stargazer - Rainbow - MY HEAD IS FULL OF FUCK!
Go Johnny go - Chuck Berry - Didnt work out to well
Pound cake - Van Halen - HARD AS FUG!
Fire and Flames - DragonForce - See above

On hard its bloody mental