What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 21, 2010 4:49 pm

After a bit of assistance from our very own Mr Tepid Snake, I've been playing Data East's unreleased fighter, Tattoo Assassins via MAME. One of the worst fighting games ever (no wonder it was canned) but so bad, it's also one of my favourites now :lol:

I mean really, a fatality where an eagle comes to life from a guy's tattoo and has a green acidy sh1t on your head that DISSOLVES you is awesome.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 pm

More
Oni
Get to where I think is the end of level. fare bit of health, no bullets, get killed by somebody with a uzi
SOD THIS GAME!!!
City Crisis
Surprisingly ok well worth a quid even if it has a few probs (how the bloody hell do I land with out hitting the roof?)
Destroy all Humans
Ok so far

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri May 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Red Dead Redemption. What a fantastic game, this is! Online Multiplayer is brilliant!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri May 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Giana Sisters DS. It's *still* a massive rip-off of the original SMB but it's interesting the way both the original and the original knock-off have deviated and evolved over the last couple of decades. It's definitely no New Super Mario Bros., this is a direct evolution of the old C64/Amiga Great Giana Sisters, all that's been tweaked is cosmetics and slickness of gameplay (though there IS an option to float within a bubblegum orb via blowing into the DS microphone - but this can also be controlled by the 'A' button, mind). There's also a touch-screen 'bottle' icon, though i haven't got far enough to have unlocked this yet, god knows what it's for.

I used to hate Great Giana Sisters on the Amiga but this is a really fun - if simplistic - Super Mario clone. Graphics, sound and music are all really reminiscent of the old Amiga Rainbow Arts days, there's some beautiful, super-colourful parallax on most levels and distinctly 'Euro' music, giving the game a totally different atmos to the plinky-plonk Nintendo games, which feels weird but is strangely nice. What's great is, rather than the game being a tad floaty like old Amiga platformers, they've really nailed the feel of this game, it's super-solid and the jumping/weight is spot-on, it's pretty Capcommy in style (and could work even better in a slightly more complex game).

Main prob so far is how easy it is, I'm, on stage 3-8 with 19 lives and have died less than 5 times(!!!)

Anyway, pretty cool so far. :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and it is AMAZING. It improves upon the original in nearly every aspect. Strong contender for best game this gen, and definitely the best Mario game yet imo. Pretty much videogame perfection. I know the hype is sickening but this one really lives up to it.

Also Red Dead Redemption, another freakishly good game, trounces GTA IV in every aspect. Thanks to this gem my 360 gaming problem has come to a pretty abrupt end ha!

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Sat May 22, 2010 2:16 am

Halo 2 (Xbox).

It's much better than the first game. I'd even go as far to say that it's becoming one of the best games that I've ever played!

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 am

Earthworm Jim - IPHONE, i had'nt played this since i bought it few months ago. Its one of the few conversions to the iphone which has really decent and responsive controls.

Perfect Dark XBLA- Finally figured out how to re connect to XBL and downloaded this straight away, never played the original on 64. Love the graphics, like a smooth and hd version of the ol goldeneye graphics. great game having alot of fun with it, but it did give me a bad motion sickness last night, especially the 2nd mission.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat May 22, 2010 6:55 am

I'm still playing FF XIII and still loving it!

Also trying to beat a few challenges & high scores in the game room... damn you ToxieDogg & SexyWayne!!! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

BobGeorge

Post by BobGeorge » Sat May 22, 2010 9:13 am

JazzFunk wrote:Main prob so far is how easy it is, I'm, on stage 3-8 with 19 lives and have died less than 5 times(!!!)

Anyway, pretty cool so far. :)
I really enjoyed this game until I found that the difficulty just doesn't ramp up as you progress. It is a polished game, but has just enough 'homebrew' feel to keep it true to the original.
It took me 3 days of intermittent playing on holiday to complete 100% with all secrets. I think it could be done in a day if you haven't got kids ;)
That last 4 or 5 levels are genuinely tricky but it's little late in the day by then.
There are some really nice touches in the game, but they are far too infrequent.

It's a real shame the developer didn't spend a bit more time perfecting the level design as this could have been an a classic.

As it is, I still really, really enjoyed it, I just think I'll ever replay it like I do Mario games.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Got Portal for free from Steam last week, and I'm loving it. Currently on the last level, haven't got a clue what I'm doing - there's two sloped boards with one of those floating ball things shooting around the place. It was 3am by the time I got to this part, and was too tired to figure it out.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat May 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Fatal Frame 4 English version looks damn fine.. And same as Jazz Funk Giana Sisters DS much easier than Mario and I normally useless on Platform games..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Been playing this. Runs lovely on my PC and looks really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HGXItra8M
Gonna hook it up to my HDTV tomrrow. Pity I have played so much of it in the last week on the cube!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:02 am

Road Rash on the PS1 and Red Dead Redemption on the 360.

Having a love-hate relationship with the latter when it comes to multiplayer.......
Into the Wonderful

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun May 23, 2010 12:08 am

Britpop95 wrote:Road Rash on the PS1 and Red Dead Redemption on the 360.

Having a love-hate relationship with the latter when it comes to multiplayer.......
I've got to agree with you there. I've been kicked off of games more than ever before, can't seem to get games with friends and i'm still stuck with a bloody mule as my ride.

Awesome single player though.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun May 23, 2010 5:54 am

Oh, I agree. Single player is a blast. But I've managed to get games on MP, and even do a bit of free-roam (mind you, I've got it on PS3).
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!