What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Britpop95
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:36 pm
Location: California

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Britpop95 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 am

Tried a bit of transatlantic Spec Ops with my cousin but the lag was absolutely and utterly unplayable so that was the end of that one. Pitched up for a bit of FIFA 10 instead.

Was winning the first game 5-1 before the guy quit on me which was immensely annoying.

In saying that I was 2-0 down to some character and i'm ashamed to say I quit too but in frustration at him getting to every (literally) ball before me.

I'd love to say that was the end of my quitting but it wasn't - there were a couple more games that were not going my way so I opted for the reaction of a child rather than a 31 year old adult.


Note to self:
2010 New Year Resolution: Learn to accept defeat on a video game.

:arrow:
Into the Wonderful

User avatar
Sepp Salerno
Posts: 1687
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Sepp Salerno » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:33 am

Castlevania (NES)
Donkey Kong (NES)
Super Star Wars (SNES)
Orange box....still
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Sonic 3 (MD)
Image

User avatar
Tepid Snake
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Southport. Staying a while... Staying forever!
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:12 am

Rapid Reload (PS1) - This arrived in the post today, and wow. This isn't just any old run-and-gun, it's an utterly shameless rip-off of Gunstar Heroes. It doesn't have the weapon-combining system but most of the basic weapons are almost the same, the enemies are nearly identical- it's just running on better hardware, that's all. As a result, it's absolutely great. Any run-and-gun fans out there need to grab a copy of this game now!
Image
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Lots of Perfect Dark, took me a little while to adjust to the low framerate and it's best to play it in "hi res" mode as it does clean up the gfx quite a bit. Have to say though, the gameplay this game has is just superb, even to this day.

Also been playing Race Pro and this game is just amazing! I actually think when it comes to the crunch RP offers the greatest racing experience this gen. No other game gives you the feeling of actually being in the car as well as this. The sound fx are so good as well, the cars sound absolutely brutal and you don't have that unrealistic tire screeching from the smallest amount of steering.
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:Rapid Reload (PS1) - This arrived in the post today, and wow. This isn't just any old run-and-gun, it's an utterly shameless rip-off of Gunstar Heroes. It doesn't have the weapon-combining system but most of the basic weapons are almost the same, the enemies are nearly identical- it's just running on better hardware, that's all. As a result, it's absolutely great. Any run-and-gun fans out there need to grab a copy of this game now!
I've been tempted but isn't it a bit pricy? I'm sure retrojc did a blog post which mentioned £50 BIN's on ebay...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Tepid Snake
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Southport. Staying a while... Staying forever!
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Megamixer wrote: I've been tempted but isn't it a bit pricy? I'm sure retrojc did a blog post which mentioned £50 BIN's on ebay...
It is a little expensive for such an early PS1 game, although I got my copy for £25 BIN. £25-£40 is the range I've seen recently (the Japanese version, Gunner's Heaven, seems to go for a similar price, in case you were wondering) so it's really up to you whether you're willing to drop that much on the game- it really is excellent, though. Perhaps this research article/review from World of Stuart might help you decide.
Image
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

User avatar
Loftgroover
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:27 am
Location: birmingham
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:21 pm

as i have an empty house over xmas i have had the music games out...been playing rockband, both singing and guitar (only on medium)...fantastic fun!! just done the hall of fame 8 song set. dunno if i have a 58 song legend set in me tho :D
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24365
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:03 am

Megamixer wrote:
Tepid Snake wrote:Rapid Reload (PS1) - This arrived in the post today, and wow. This isn't just any old run-and-gun, it's an utterly shameless rip-off of Gunstar Heroes. It doesn't have the weapon-combining system but most of the basic weapons are almost the same, the enemies are nearly identical- it's just running on better hardware, that's all. As a result, it's absolutely great. Any run-and-gun fans out there need to grab a copy of this game now!
I've been tempted but isn't it a bit pricy? I'm sure retrojc did a blog post which mentioned £50 BIN's on ebay...
I got mine for £20
Havent put any time into it yet

first game of the new decade
SNK vs Capcom card fighters
Its
To
Easy
I NEED HUMANS TO DUEL AGAINST!
The computer makes to many mistakes (what sane person sends there only card back to there hand when there oponant has a full hand?)

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:09 am

DPrinny wrote:first game of the new decade
SNK vs Capcom card fighters
The NGPC one or the DS game?

I kicked off 2010 with...erm...Sprung: The Dating Game on DS. This really has the power to infuriate with any funny bits being offset by having to repeat the same conversations over and over if you mess them up.

If anything, it'll shake me out of my reviewing funk and get me writing something up since I can't resist ripping into this mess.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24365
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:41 am

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:first game of the new decade
SNK vs Capcom card fighters
The NGPC one or the DS game?
NGPC one
I hear the DS one is ruined and not out in the UK

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:43 am

DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:first game of the new decade
SNK vs Capcom card fighters
The NGPC one or the DS game?
NGPC one
I hear the DS one is ruined and not out in the UK
It is out, Ignition just released it on the continent for some reason like their recent PS2 games. Very hard to find apparently.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by retrojc » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 am

Tepid Snake wrote:Rapid Reload (PS1) - This arrived in the post today, and wow. This isn't just any old run-and-gun, it's an utterly shameless rip-off of Gunstar Heroes. It doesn't have the weapon-combining system but most of the basic weapons are almost the same, the enemies are nearly identical- it's just running on better hardware, that's all. As a result, it's absolutely great. Any run-and-gun fans out there need to grab a copy of this game now!
I think the game is brilliant, and actually make my top 25 ps1 games. I've seen it sell for as little as £7 of recent, but i also say a auction end at £58 in November (i think) on ebay.fr

If you can get a copy for less that £20 is a bargain, but you should consider paying upto £30, its just very easy to pick up and play and will deffinetly have you coming back to play it. Its also great with friends, yes its 1player, but taking it in turns seriously good fun.

tbh though I've 1 credited it now, which is probably why i like ti so much 8)

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24365
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:08 am

Megamixer wrote:
It is out, Ignition just released it on the continent for some reason like their recent PS2 games. Very hard to find apparently.
That explains why it cant be found

Still aint getting it
They changed the combat

Ok I might get it
If its cheap

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 am

EU version (well, Australian release) from Oz for £9.09

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNK-VS-CAPCOM-CAR ... 5ad3ee28a5
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24365
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:18 am

Megamixer wrote:EU version (well, Australian release) from Oz for £9.09

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNK-VS-CAPCOM-CAR ... 5ad3ee28a5
Wont be able to play it anyway as my DSi still needs a repair
It hurts to have a Zelda game lying there unfinished

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests