What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thl

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by thl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 am

I started playing the Spec Ops on Modern Warfare 2 last night. Might need to co-op with somebody to complete the courses to earn those achievements.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:59 am

If you loved the first one, you'll be blown away from this game. It's better in almost every aspect. Really my favourite game this year!

@topic: Still playing Left 4 Dead 2 on PC, addicting as the first one. In terms of consoles I'm right in the middle of Assassin's Creed 2. Another sequel that's much better than it's predecessor

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:00 am

ESPgaluda as it finally arrived and Tekken 6.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am

Played kirby's Adventure and SMB 3 on nes last night (thanks nokgod).
I have never got past world 8-1 on SMB 3, which is a shame because in the SNES version I went as far to to play all 7 woulds before it so that it would be easier.
In all fairness the NES version plays better than the SNES version butn it is the snes on I will remember the most because I grew up with it.
I have completed Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA (which I think is a remake of Kirby's Adventure), Kirby's Adventure is very much like it.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:03 am

C=Style wrote:Gonna be playing Mass Effect today, got a massive urge to play it for some reason lol. The sequel is coming up soon and I'm looking forward to it.
One of the best games I have ever played. The whole story to this is amazing. Despite the iffy cover system during combat!!!

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:33 am

LEGO Rock Band :oops: Just such a damn fun game with those typical little bits of humour you'd expect from a LEGO game, mixed with the fun of being able to play some fun music, my normal Rock Band DLC and some of my RB1 tracks work too. Most common setlist at the moment, Fear of The Dark, followed by Ghostbusters :mrgreen:

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:37 am

Supreme Commander, PC. Had to download the naughty version as for some daft reason the real version doesn't work on my PC. Good game anyway, lot of similarities to Total Annihilation but with more thought to it.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:17 am

I'm currently playing, and loving, F1 2009 on the PSP. I'm not usually a great F1 fan, but this ticks all the boxes for me, and is another superb pocket racer from Codemasters/Sumo Digital. The amount of really good racers on the PSP is crazy.

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm

Shiren Monsters Netsal for the GBA - monsters from Shiren the Wanderer! Playing four-a-side football! I got it yesterday and am getting to grips with what I assume's Career mode, with my monster squad seeming to have their various incomprehensible backstories during training sessions. I have a cat-thing on loan from somewhere, a set of wooden drawers in defense and my Popster Tank keeps firing cannons at the monsters between matches. The actual matches are Mode-7 style, things get a little disorientating if you're facing the wrong way. Still haven't quite worked out the controls, but quite easy so far :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Just done the Gongos story on Dragon Force

I think its time to shelf it for a while

Edit-
Whoa vocal outtakes at the end

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Been playing some shoot-em-ups this week, one's old-school and one's bullet hell. In the old-school corner, Varth: Operation Thunderstorm on Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for the PSP. This is fantastic! I'd never heard of it before this collection, and it's some good stuff. You get an R-Type-style pod to protect yourself with, the weapons are very similar to Raiden, and it's just fun to play. Only problem is the insane length- it's got 30 stages, which seems a bit excessive, and, uh, I can't beat the final boss on one credit. Very good otherwise, it's a shame it's not more well-known.

In the bullet hell corner, Subterranean Animism (PC). I can't get past the 3rd stage. You can choose between 6 different shot types that give you special abilities (one increases your max bomb count, one lets you move from one edge of the screen to the other, etc.) but they won't help you survive the horrific bullet barrages in this game. By far one of the cruellest shooters I've ever played, it is nonetheless quite good, and at the very least, it will beat you honestly.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:03 pm

The last 2 days i've only played one game, and i've played it alot. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Ah.. NiGHTS, what a game that is. As for me I've been playing a bit Luigi's Mansion still (reckon I'll complete it soon) of Resident Evil 4 on GC. Would you believe I haven't played more than an hour of Resi 4? Guess I have quite a lot to look forward to.

Oh yeah and Rogue Squadron III, which is pretty good but the silver/gold medals are very hard and frustrating to get. It does a good job of brining the epicness of Star Wars into a videogame.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
In the bullet hell corner, Subterranean Animism (PC). I can't get past the 3rd stage. You can choose between 6 different shot types that give you special abilities (one increases your max bomb count, one lets you move from one edge of the screen to the other, etc.) but they won't help you survive the horrific bullet barrages in this game. By far one of the cruellest shooters I've ever played, it is nonetheless quite good, and at the very least, it will beat you honestly.
Hadn't heard of this before....I don't like Touhou games though. Find the presentation in them very bland and I just kind of get a bit bored and switch off when playing them, which obviously is very detrimental! Perhaps I need to try playing them competitively.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

oli_lar wrote: Hadn't heard of this before....I don't like Touhou games though. Find the presentation in them very bland and I just kind of get a bit bored and switch off when playing them, which obviously is very detrimental! Perhaps I need to try playing them competitively.
The Touhou games really aren't for everyone, there's no denying that. They're the Marmite of shmups. The sole exception, apparently, is Shoot the Bullet, as I've never found anyone who doesn't like that one. If you want to give them another go, then find Mountain of Faith as it's relatively easy (in the same way that Metal Slug is relatively easier than Contra: Hard Corps) and it's the least bland/most colourful.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community