What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:42 am

Super Street Fighter II on my newly acquired 3DO. Such a great version of the game and surprisingly playable with the standard 3DO pad. I love it already :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:20 am

I'm about 25 hours into Dragon Age on the PC. Really love the strategic battles and the rather good writing. The thing I don't really like are the subquests you can get on the various boards. It's too much like an MMORPG, because there isn't much story around them. In most other RPGs there are many other subquests, which have fun little stories for them.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the Saturn Capcom Collection pack. Oh how I love this game! :)

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Ikaruga... again!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Played Fifa09 for the first time in months got my First 9/10 rating on be a pro.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Oh, played Ass Crud 2, sorry Assassins Creed 2 today whilst at work. How did they get it so wrong??

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Played a few DS games recently:

Squeeballs Party: What could of been a mediocre game is made infuriating by having to control everything using the stylus rather than using a mixture of d-pad and stylus. Just because you have the option of using touchscreen controls, developers, doesn't mean that you should.

Cop: The Recruit: Advertised as a GTA beater, this is a poor game. Clunky car controls, the inability to walk and turn at the same time, the fact that it takes ages to get anywhere by car and the interminable inbetween game sections and the boring gameplay itself mean this is one you should avoid.

TMNT: Arcade Attack: Creating a good scrolling beam 'em up using the turtles should be easy, right? Apparently Ubisoft disagrees. The diagonal scrolling means that it hard to line up your attack and that everytime you kill and enemy the game goes into slow motion of the last hit that finished them off. Streets of Rage it isn't.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Mobilized: This is a really well-made game that has a lot of thought put into it and suffers from the same problem that affects a lot of FPS games on consoles: without the mouse the gameplay suffers. Shame though as the developers should be commended on the great effort they made.

Assasin's Creed II: The first was a pretty, but very frustrating game to play, too many leaps of faith and too many surprise scorpions. This time around the developers have taken the criticisms on board and made the requisite changes on the game. Although the graphics aren't quite as nice as last time, the gameplay has vastly improved. The controls are more intuitive and the amount of things you can do with six buttons is impressive. They've taken the wise attitude towards the touchscreen and gave it a wide berth since this would of done little to improve things. It's a fun, nicely-paced game that I'm really enjoying.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Little Big Planet on PSP. I like it. :)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:35 pm

I am playing Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. It's looking a little more - well - basic than I remember, but it's still a brilliant game. It's inspiring me to seek out a few more MD rpg's but they seem a bit pricey (apart from Rings of Poower and Sword of Vilemellion)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm

New Super Mario Bros Wii. Great game!

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:58 pm

Tried the Left For Dead 2 demo on Live. After smacking people in the face with a frying pan for a few minutes I quickly got bored, maybe I'm just getting old. :?

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:45 pm

MW2 online :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i suck bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might film myself with milk on my lip and punching walls now........ :wink:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 pm

GIGAWING - DC
Bionic Commando - 360, Brilliant game, the reset points are pretty annoying sometimes though!!
Blazblue - 360, I seriously think this is the best fighter I've played in the last 5 years it's brilliant
Einhander - PS1 In preparation for my Youtube video

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Tonight is all about the Forza! Making my way through Season 5, trying out some new tracks. Bought some nice cars from the auction house too. :)

Gonna be playing a few SNES games in a mo as Super Ghouls and Ghosts has really put me in the mood.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:39 am

Zetr0 wrote:Playing Luna: Silver Star Story on my PSP

at the moment I flipping between the original Sega MegaCD version emulated by PicoDrive and the PSX version converted to run on my PSP.

I have to admit, i am truely taken by both!

The MegaCD version is obviously a lot more humble in graphical ability, with cut scenes a little on the limmited side compared to the 32bit remake of the Playstation. But you get into the fighting action a lot earlier on in the game.

MegaCD version

at the moment, i have reached level 8 on Alex and really enjoying the mechanics of the game, I am sweetened/endeared by the added *attituted* of Nall (little flying dragon create thats like you pet *looks like a cat lol with wings*) in the PSX version

PSX version

I will say that after spending an hour on the Mega CD and an over an hour on the PSX title, I truly am taken in by both the game and perhaps a little more so with the PSX version, with its quicker repsonse and extra content.

A proper PSP version is infact planned to be released in Japan before Christmas

PSP version

looks delicious, and if they keep the content to that of the PSX version then I can promise that game will indeed sell well, (with me certainly owning a copy of it =D)

Rinoa this is ceratinly a game for you =D now send me you PSP so i can upgrade it for you =D
The PS1 version looks gorgeous! I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for an English PSP release :)