What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tepid Snake

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Zetr0 wrote:Currently suffering the aweful game play that is Star Wars - The Clone Wars: Republic Hero's (PSP Version)
Blimey. After reading your little review, that sounds wretched.

As for me...
Zombie Virus (PS2) - Well slap my face and call me Charlie, it's a Simple 2000 game that isn't relying on pervs/masochists for its sales (see also: Fighting Angels, Zombie Hunters) nor is it Global Defence Force, and is genuinely good. It's a very neat spin on the bog-standard zombie fare- imagine Crazy Taxi in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, where saving specific people helps you out (save mechanics and they'll help tune up your ambulance, save military guys and they'll help defend your home base, etc.) and the only way to stay alive is to kill lots and lots of zombies.It's a bit frustrating at first, as you'll constantly die because your home base gets invaded by zombies, but once you manage to get the first ambulance upgrade that kills zombies easier, things are less aggravating, and it becomes quite addictive. It's a bit ropey in the graphics department (it's a budget game after all) and the randomised locations of survivors can be hazardous to your health, but it's actually very fun, and the customisation of your ambulance is very neat. If only more Simple 2000 games were like this, that actually live up to their odd-ball premises!

As a bonus, the Japanese version was called- wait for it- Zombie Vs. Ambulance. Hahaha!
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Zombie Virus is a brilliant budget game.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:07 pm

I still find myself being drawn into Dungeons & Dragons Online, a few guys at work are on so we've been questing together, I am now a level 3 Ranger. I usually despise these type of games but it has got me excited about the DC Comics one that's coming out.
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:22 pm

A bit more of MW2. After a promising start.....I swiftly became crap. Hooaah!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:42 am

Finally got round to getting 1,000 gamerscore on Cod 4 the day before MW2 arrived.......'Mile High Club' on veteran proved an absolute bastard to overcome - it took a good couple of hours and an incredible amount of swearing that would even give John Davidson (one for the older forum members, perhaps) a run for his money.

Since then i've been hopping back and forth between the likes of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 2 and Paperboy (amongst others) in an effort to gain a few achievements.

XBOX Live Arcade aside then MW2 will be taking up quite some time when I finally get my hands on it this Friday.......
Into the Wonderful

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 am

I purchased MW2 about 3 hours ago. Wow, now that's entertainment! Just completed act I. Had to take a breather, my olde ticker can't take
all this excitment in one sitting.
Impressed so far.
Hope it continues that way...
So sad, a 38 year old going giddy over a video game.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:59 am

I started playing the campaign mode on Moden Warfare 2 as I broke the record on The Pit challenge in 'S.S.D.D' and completed the first act. I can't believe how intense it was and really enjoyed the ride on the snowmobile, which does reminded of a scene from the James Bond film. The airport mission does evoke that sense of fear and horror after playing the role of the terrorist for the first time and it did built up that climax to improve the realism. Also I'm still searching for those intels too, which are lying around in different places.
Britpop95 wrote:Finally got round to getting 1,000 gamerscore on Cod 4 the day before MW2 arrived.......'Mile High Club' on veteran proved an absolute bastard to overcome - it took a good couple of hours and an incredible amount of swearing that would even give John Davidson (one for the older forum members, perhaps) a run for his money.
Indeed it was! It took a while to unlock that achievement and it can be an pain after all that attempts. A bit of luck and determination was needed as long you adjust the timing of when to shoot and move.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:02 am

Finally got round to starting Dark cloud - PS2, havent got too far into yet though still on the 1st dungeon/village.
And had a quick blast on Rock n roll racing 2 PS1, more playtesting than playing as the disc i got of ebay looks shagged plays ok though, graphics and speed are pretty good for a PS1 title.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Been playing a bit of MW2 multi and slowly working my way up the level laddr, as well as getting better. Although Rust on Free-For-All is an absolute pain. Especially if someone calls air support.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm

WET and Rock Band.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm still chipping away at Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! I've reached chapter 9 and the story continues to become more and more interesting. I love all the little side quests you can do in the game as well, I've currently just got up to the point where you can start the fighting tournaments (pretty much like the previous Yakuza games, really fun) as well as the melon cutting mini game (which replaces the baseball minigame in Yakuza 1 and 2).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Today I have played Snake Rattle & Roll, Shadow Warriors, Drouble Dragon, Marble Madness, and Tekken 6.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Dragon Age all the way for me. Seems to be eating into my life as I haven't even had spare time for Youtube vids!
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Far Cry - thanks to those lovely people at GOG. Despite it's age, it's really holding up well and still looks fantastic.

Oh yeah, MW2 etc etc.

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Mama Llama - somebody help me, I have no clue what is going on.
Death may be your Santa Claus.