What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

planetmatt

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by planetmatt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Mostly playing Battlefield 1943. Also been playing Flatout:UC, amazing game. Broke the top 50 on the global leaderboards for the stone skipping carnage event.
"1984 was not intended to be a guide"
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Moprh and Overkill on the CD32, and Bomberman and Everybody's Golf for the PSP (I've been playing the latter for more than a year, on and off - it's the greatest game ever! :shock:)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 pm

Gogo the Ghost on the Commodore 64 finally after all these years.. Miles harder than all the next gen stuff and really unforgiving.. Did about 6 screens:(
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:46 pm

I had been playing loco roco 2 on PSP until my girlfriend went ahead and finished it for me....and now I don't remember where I was in it. Will start again over though soon as it was a pretty good platformer, even if a bit kiddyish!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:59 pm

oli_lar wrote:I had been playing loco roco 2 on PSP until my girlfriend went ahead and finished it for me....and now I don't remember where I was in it. Will start again over though soon as it was a pretty good platformer, even if a bit kiddyish!
Haha, that happened to me too! :P I got LocoRoco 2 for Christmas and the missus played it all the way through!. It and its prequel are the greatest anythings ever. :shock:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Currently unable to put down Rockmen R for the PC. If there's one thing I love its a new Megaman game (official or not) and this one is tough yet perfectly possible at the same time. Bosses are a bit under par to what I'm used to design wise but the music is absolutely amazing. I only went to try a couple of stages and wound up playing for a couple of hours!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Side Pocket (Megadrive)
H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600)
Dragster (Atari 2600)
Super Punch Out (SNES)
All via my PSP.

And via MAME, still trying to increase my high score and climb up the Twin Galaxies rankings! :)
Bomb Jack
Crystal Castles

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Gave up with Street Fighter Alpha 3 on GBA last night. Don't get me wrong, you couldn't ask for more out of the GBA but everything (especially the character sprites) are much too small, the button set-up isn't that hot and neither the GBA/GBA SP/Original DS seem to have a comfortable enough d-pad to allow for consistency when pulling off moves.

Fortunately, Final Fight One is much more playable although I'm rubbish at the game. I can complete Streets of Rage 2 for example but can't beat Final Fight's second level (the subway/train). The samurai boss at the end is also impossible. I could tone the difficulty down but that's the easy way out...any tips?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:03 pm

I always just used Haggar to beat Sodom (Katana). Dodged his attack then went in for the grab and piledrivered him. Takes off lots of his health in 1 hit and he is down before you know it. Works well for most bosses as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:13 pm

Strider 2 on Megadrive
Very bad level disign when you have to jump off a wall onto a ledge but if you jump to high you fail grab the wall above but if you jump to low you fall to your doom (cant drop from above as the wall over hangs over the top of the floor)
Megamixer wrote:Gave up with Street Fighter Alpha 3 on GBA last night. Don't get me wrong, you couldn't ask for more out of the GBA but everything (especially the character sprites) are much too small, the button set-up isn't that hot and neither the GBA/GBA SP/Original DS seem to have a comfortable enough d-pad to allow for consistency when pulling off moves.

Fortunately, Final Fight One is much more playable although I'm rubbish at the game. I can complete Streets of Rage 2 for example but can't beat Final Fight's second level (the subway/train). The samurai boss at the end is also impossible. I could tone the difficulty down but that's the easy way out...any tips?
You can unlock things on it
Unlock Guy alpha
Hes powerful.
I to got rid of Alhpa 3 on GBA
It was to hard to play
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I always just used Haggar to beat Sodom (Katana). Dodged his attack then went in for the grab and piledrivered him. Takes off lots of his health in 1 hit and he is down before you know it. Works well for most bosses as well.
Thanks, will try it. I was hoping to be able to beat the game as each character but...perhaps not. I'm still rubbish at avoiding attacks and too susceptible to being surrounded. Guess I need more practice.
DPrinny wrote: I to got rid of Alhpa 3 on GBA
It was to hard to play
Yeah, I'm not going to chuck it (I don't ever get rid of games unless they're doubles or incomplete) but I think I'll get the PSP version or most likely, the PS1 port of Alpha 3. Perhaps even the Saturn version if I ever get around to grabbing one of those action replay carts. To be honest though, I have been tempted to collect the entire Alpha series in the same way that I collect for my Darkstalkers collection...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:09 pm

Battlefield 1943 - 360
Prototype - 360
Shadowrun - Snes
Mr Do - Snes
Space Girrafe - 360
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Monkey Island on XBLA.. woop woop!

A little bit of Shatter every now and then, kinda tend to throw on the bonus mode for a quick couple of goes, managed to get 9,800,000 that's 2 hits of the bastard achievment. I'm sure I'll get it in time. If I had an arcade stick I fancy it would be a lot easier. :)

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Playing Street Fighter III 3rd Strike on dreamcast (ntsc-j version)

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:18 pm

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad. It's fun in a Streets of Rage, scrolling beat 'em up kind of way.