What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 pm

random_dave wrote:The missus is on holiday for a week so with my evenings free I'm finally going through God of War 1 + 2.
At the same time Iamdarkreaper is going through so we can chat about it along the way. Playing GTA and chatting about it everyday with a guy at work reminded me how cool it is to experience games along with someone else.

So far I'm thoroughly impressed. Couldn't be bothered to move ps2 or tv so I'm only playing it on a 24" 4:3 crt for now but it look rather pretty. Will have to check it out on the 40" lcd through component at some point.
Best 1st level of a game I've played for a while though, just enough tutorialism, but not holding back on enemies and bosses either. It also manages to feature QTE's that don't flash up so breifly that you fail it once just to memorise what buttons you need to press the next time
2 issues though, the crate kicking bit, they kept getting broken by arrows and I swear I could pretty much double jump to the netting anyway
and the cuts to FMV. They're very smoothly done, but their not as vibrant and sharp as the in-game engine, which seems like it would handle the cutscenes, so why not use it
Is their anything so awesome and gloriously selfish as the missus spending the odd night away? :lol:

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Been playing Virtua Tennis on DC all day today :oops: Its just so damn addictive :)

But trying to beat those blasted doubles teams on clay is a pain :x

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:36 pm

sscott wrote:Is their anything so awesome and gloriously selfish as the missus spending the odd night away? :lol:
She felt bad that she was leaving me to go on her second holiday in a month, then I explained how technically her going away is actually my holiday not hers :D

Having said that I don't like having to make the cuppas all the time
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Been playing a bit of Tokyo Bus Guide 2 again, nearly done all the bus routes now. Lot's of COD4, still would love to arrange an online meet (maybe we could set up a RG clan hehe), also been playing some GTA 4, just got the escape 4 stars achievement which was hard enough, how am I supposed to escape 6!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:50 pm

C=Style wrote:Been playing a bit of Tokyo Bus Guide 2 again, nearly done all the bus routes now. Lot's of COD4, still would love to arrange an online meet (maybe we could set up a RG clan hehe), also been playing some GTA 4, just got the escape 4 stars achievement which was hard enough, how am I supposed to escape 6!
To get that 6 star achievment is hell this is how i did it:
I bought a load of RPG and grenades. Stole a helicopter and flew to a high building. First start shooting people, then when you see a heli shoot it with RPG :D

Keep doing that for a while, and when you reach 6 star, leg it to your heli and fly around for a few mins and you're done.
:D :D :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Sounds easy enough! :) I think I remember someone saying here it was best to get it when you hadn't unlocked all the islands as you get an instant 6 star level for trespassing, then it's a simple case of avoiding them. Cheers for the tip tho, I'm not usually an achievement censored but in case I do try to get the most of of the game I'll bear your tactic in mind.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:28 pm

C=Style wrote:Sounds easy enough! :) I think I remember someone saying here it was best to get it when you hadn't unlocked all the islands as you get an instant 6 star level for trespassing, then it's a simple case of avoiding them. Cheers for the tip tho, I'm not usually an achievement censored but in case I do try to get the most of of the game I'll bear your tactic in mind.
Thats what I did, it was dead easy. 'Borrowed' a helicopter, then flew around in circles over an unlocked island till I got the achievement.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Soul Calibur III!

I thought that the mission mode had been taken out? At least I was under that impression. When I go to play it I find that there's an in-depth mission mode with loads of unlockables and "stuff". Wow, it looks gorgeous too, certainly didn't expect it to be as good as the DC original as I'd been told otherwise. Please tell me Cervantes is an unlockable character!!

thl

Post by thl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

C=Style wrote:Please tell me Cervantes is an unlockable character!!
That's right. Other characters that are unlockable are Lizardman, Sophitia, Rock and Yoshimitsu.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:40 am

Had a long weekend so I wound up complete several of the games I've been progressing through for the last few weeks.
Banjo Tooie was an excellent sequel and I am now looking forward to the Xbox 360 one, huge levels and a nice level of challenge meant I couldn't put it down!
Megaman X8 was a nice fun return to form after the hiccup that was X7, almost everything from the previous game was inproved from the better levels and bosses to a strict 2D viewpoint rather than an over simplified 3D one.
I finally got back to Ninja Gaiden 2 and its really living up to the previous game. I just got the Sythe weapon and really love how powerful the thing is, really cuts through the enemies with ease! Bosses so far have been quite straightforward. Volf and Zedonius were actually quite simple to beat thanks to the fact that they take so much damage with little effort!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

stejay

Post by stejay » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:21 am

The Grand old Grand Theft Auto on the 360, and also John Woo's Stranglehold

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:19 am

random_dave wrote:
sscott wrote:Is their anything so awesome and gloriously selfish as the missus spending the odd night away? :lol:
She felt bad that she was leaving me to go on her second holiday in a month, then I explained how technically her going away is actually my holiday not hers :D
Having said that I don't like having to make the cuppas all the time
Never a truer word spoken on this forum. :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:27 am

I totally agree.

The missus went away on holiday with her mum for a week and uttered the words "Arent you gonna get bored on your own ?"

Of course i said 'i'll try not to' but in my head i had visions of a good drunken weekend with my mates, tons of dvds i can watch without "Wasnt he in..." or "Whats happened ?", lots of retro gaming, takeaways etc. Good times !

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:35 am

Not living with my partner Rachel, and only seeing her 3 times a week has it's distinct gaming advantages .

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:45 am

Just discovered this while randomly surfin the net:

http://www.rockmanpm.com/?p=music/rockman7fc

Someone has taken Megaman 7 (originally a Snes game) and perfectly recreated with Nes sprites and gameplay closer to the original 6 games including Nes style music. Weirdly enough it actually also plays somewhat better than the Snes version. Best of all its a free download!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*