What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm well impressed with Sega Rally Revo. First impressions weren't the greatest but after persevering with it (which takes about 2 hours or so) and getting used to the handling, the gameplay starts to show itself. I honestly think it's the best Sega Rally since the original on the Saturn/Arcade, and worthy sequel too! I'm chuffed to pieces with it. Also it looks so georgeous, beautiful colours and the track textures are the best I've ever seen in a game.

Also been playing a lot of PGR4, working on getting all achievements, not too far to go now. It's the best racing game I've ever played, even better than PGR 2 and that really is saying something! Forza 2 is great but PGR 4 is something else it has so much variety to the gameplay and a totally spanking online mode. Tournaments are great fun but real hard to qualify high up the ranks, there's some top players about.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:38 am

It's a shame that Sega Rally Revo bombed. I really liked it, too. And strangly everyone I know who played it have the same opinion about it. But I think we were just too few :(

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 am

Guilty Gear X - DC it really is a stunning game and looks great on my Sony Bravia. Playing this made me go back to PS2 version - it suprised me as it looks good on the PS2 as well. The DC version is prettier though, the colors are brighter, it runs smoother, it upscales perfectly to my TV and the game seems more responsive.

Wartech Senko No Ronde - 360 Great little shooter/virtual-on hybrid having fun unlocking the achievements

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:40 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Guilty Gear X - DC it really is a stunning game and looks great on my Sony Bravia. Playing this made me go back to PS2 version - it suprised me as it looks good on the PS2 as well. The DC version is prettier though, the colors are brighter, it runs smoother, it upscales perfectly to my TV and the game seems more responsive.

Wartech Senko No Ronde - 360 Great little shooter/virtual-on hybrid having fun unlocking the achievements
Any tips on Wartech? that game made my head spin and the computer destroyed me when I tried it!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:33 am

ShadowMan wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Guilty Gear X - DC it really is a stunning game and looks great on my Sony Bravia. Playing this made me go back to PS2 version - it suprised me as it looks good on the PS2 as well. The DC version is prettier though, the colors are brighter, it runs smoother, it upscales perfectly to my TV and the game seems more responsive.

Any tips on Wartech? that game made my head spin and the computer destroyed me when I tried it!
Sitting down and learning the controls helped me big time, I'm a typical bloke and don't read the instructions unless I have to - with this game you have to!

There are however a few important basics;

1. Learn each characters strengths and weaknesses - the rounders weapons vary greatly from character to character and learning the effects each type of weapon has helps you formulate a playing strategy.

2. The dash button - Nearly as important as fire button as it helps you avoid enemy fire and launch attacks or counters.

3. Watch the weapon status circles around you ship as these will tell you when you can fire your weapon, subweapons need to recharge and it's important that you're not firing away with a weapon that doesn't work (it's easy to do this when the screen fills up with bullets).

Even taking these tips into account when the action on screen gets busy it still can be quite confusing, well worth perservering with though mate

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:45 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:

Sitting down and learning the controls helped me big time, I'm a typical bloke and don't read the instructions unless I have to - with this game you have to!

There are however a few important basics;

1. Learn each characters strengths and weaknesses - the rounders weapons vary greatly from character to character and learning the effects each type of weapon has helps you formulate a playing strategy.

2. The dash button - Nearly as important as fire button as it helps you avoid enemy fire and launch attacks or counters.

3. Watch the weapon status circles around you ship as these will tell you when you can fire your weapon, subweapons need to recharge and it's important that you're not firing away with a weapon that doesn't work (it's easy to do this when the screen fills up with bullets).

Even taking these tips into account when the action on screen gets busy it still can be quite confusing, well worth perservering with though mate
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to give it another go when I get a change. At the moment I'm trying to finish several games I am a ways through (Perfect Dark, Smash Bros Brawl Etc.) read for GTA IV at the end of April (which shall surely last me until MGS4 in June).

You were right about Assassins Creed though. Nowhere near as bad as GamesTM's review (which seemed a little to angry). It is repetitive with its simply mission structure but I get great joy from exploring the overworld both because they all look fantastic and because you can literally climb up and over anything. The assassinations are easily the best bit in the game though. Its a shame there are so few of them, absolutely nothing more satisfying than plotting and executing the perfect assassination!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:50 am

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to give it another go when I get a change. At the moment I'm trying to finish several games I am a ways through (Perfect Dark, Smash Bros Brawl Etc.) read for GTA IV at the end of April (which shall surely last me until MGS4 in June).

You were right about Assassins Creed though. Nowhere near as bad as GamesTM's review (which seemed a little to angry). It is repetitive with its simply mission structure but I get great joy from exploring the overworld both because they all look fantastic and because you can literally climb up and over anything. The assassinations are easily the best bit in the game though. Its a shame there are so few of them, absolutely nothing more satisfying than plotting and executing the perfect assassination!

Yep I'm gearing up for GTA, probably going to be able to get No More Heroes started in the interval inbetween.

I loved Creed it is a glimse of the future of 3rd person action games. I can see the point GamesTM were trying to make about the game structure but they marked the game too harshly even by the standards of their own scoring system it should have been a 5, but it's all subjective. For me the fun part I had was running and jumping from roof top to roof top, climbing as many of the vantage points as I could. Simple things to do but exectuted in such a fun and flowing way. For me generally GamesTM are on the button when it comes to scores I just wished they expanded the Retro section a bit!!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 am

Commando, over on't League.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Lots of Metal Slug on the Wii anthology edition, still getting used to wii controls but its fun.

yogster

Post by yogster » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Bioshock (just Finished)

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Just started FEAR on the 360
Fun game with a fantastic ending!

I've been playing Urban Chaos (PS2) and a bit of Metal Storm (NES).
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Was put off buying Assassins Creed for some reason, I have heard some very negative things about it, but I guess it's one of them marmite type games. Will probably think about picking it up now seens as it's pretty cheap everywhere.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:33 pm

C=Style wrote:Was put off buying Assassins Creed for some reason, I have heard some very negative things about it, but I guess it's one of them marmite type games. Will probably think about picking it up now seens as it's pretty cheap everywhere.
Was buying some games to day and there were loads of pre-owned Assassins Creed games available, seems to be one of the most returned games from what I've seen.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 pm

A little bit of mid-90's games. Mostly MDK, Tomb Raider II, Terminal Velocity and Quake.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:51 pm

sscott wrote:
C=Style wrote:Was put off buying Assassins Creed for some reason, I have heard some very negative things about it, but I guess it's one of them marmite type games. Will probably think about picking it up now seens as it's pretty cheap everywhere.
Was buying some games to day and there were loads of pre-owned Assassins Creed games available, seems to be one of the most returned games from what I've seen.
Aye, I might actually pass on it now you say that :) I really didn't enjoy any of the Prince of Persia games either and to me it looks very similar indeed.