What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:47 am

Last week I was playing Outrun (MAME) and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Xbox) - retro or not? :wink:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:49 am

Splinter Cell on my PS2 and I don't care.

I did start this thread after all :P

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:00 am

hehe, funny thing is I actually enjoyed Splinter Cell on the PS2 way more than the Xbox version. For some crazy reason I thought it had better gameplay. Certainly the best Splinter Cell game I ever played lol.

I played a fair bit of Sega Rally and Bully last night. Sega Rally is better than I thought it'd be, a true arcade rally game that's fun to play, you can see gameplay was the most important factor here when they were making it, the different feel of road surface is really pronounced, very nice feel.

As for Bully, there is a patch out now which I installed soon as I booted up but for some reason it didn't take effect till the machine was switched off so I played about 2-3 hrs of the most nasty, bugged up software I've ever encountered. How this one slipped through the net I really don't know. Could not believe how jerky the game was and the horrible sound cut outs. Someone must have got a right bollocking at R* Vancouver I reckon ,esp with the upcoming release of GTA 4. Thankfully the patch, when it did register offered MASSIVE improvements. The framerate is much more constant, everything is smoother and quicker to play and I have to say (even though I had reservations over the content of the game) I enjoyed myself quite a bit when I got into the flow of things.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:16 am

I quite enjoyed Bully on PS2, but it was too short... As an English student, I particularly enjoyed the "English lessons" (where you have to find which words you can make with a particular set of letters)
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am

Army of Two (PS3) - Damn you EA and your crap servers!
I'm playing it on the 360...dont like the fact you get booted offline after every game. no lobby to chat about the win/abuse the other team.
in fact, no contact with the other team at all!!

Also only playing with EU gamers means my odd hours on the xbox see me struggle to fill a match. So the billion dollar achievement will never get done.

Otherwise I really like it tho...nice to have a bit of teamwork after the "team" play on COD4

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 pm

djcarlos wrote:Splinter Cell on my PS2 and I don't care.

If you're liking the first, I strongly recommend Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Its been one of the best games of its type imo and the PS2 version is different from the current gen one so if you ever upgrade you can play it again and get a new experience.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:

If you're liking the first, I strongly recommend Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Its been one of the best games of its type imo and the PS2 version is different from the current gen one so if you ever upgrade you can play it again and get a new experience.
I'd recommend Splinter Cell Chaos Theory as well. It still is my favorite Splinter Cell game and the little tweaks and additions added to the game sealed the deal for me. Saying that I have just got the Xbox version of DA and now get to see how different it is to my Xbox 360 version. I've read in some places its actually better than the current gen counterpart.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:34 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

I'd recommend Splinter Cell Chaos Theory as well. It still is my favorite Splinter Cell game and the little tweaks and additions added to the game sealed the deal for me. Saying that I have just got the Xbox version of DA and now get to see how different it is to my Xbox 360 version. I've read in some places its actually better than the current gen counterpart.
I bought the very first one on PS2, but I never managed to get into it... I had heard so much about it, and I'm a big fan of MGS but I never got past the first level... I wonder if the newer episodes will change my opinion?
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Spooky wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: If you're liking the first, I strongly recommend Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Its been one of the best games of its type imo and the PS2 version is different from the current gen one so if you ever upgrade you can play it again and get a new experience.
I bought the very first one on PS2, but I never managed to get into it... I had heard so much about it, and I'm a big fan of MGS but I never got past the first level... I wonder if the newer episodes will change my opinion?
I'd give Double Agent a go first, as Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory are essentially more of the same (though CT is improved in almost every way). DA is the most "different" Splinter Cell game of the 4 released though Conviction looks completely different to the previous 4 and might be worth a look (if it ever gets released that is)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm playing Wave Race 64 :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:21 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:I'm playing Wave Race 64 :)
An excellent way to pass the time. Also own at as a Wii VC download.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Smash TV (MAME), Aliens (Mame), and Soldner X on PC.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Played some PLaystation games with my brother earlier today. We played Worms Armageddon for a bit, then we tried Ace Combat 2(well, he tried and I watched), then we got hooked on Kula World.

then I went down and played some Doom 3 on my stepdad's computer, boosted the graphics up to ultra high quality.

And then I went to my brother's computer and played some MDK and Tomb Raider II until I was picked up and drove home.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Just started FEAR on the 360

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Sega Rally Revo for the PSP.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"