What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 am

I've mainly been playing Call of Duty 4 on Xbox Live.

I'm on level 52!

I've also been playing Castlevania on the NES - Great game.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:12 am

BioShock on the 360 - an absolutely stunning game, one of the best I have played for many years.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 am

Just played a great little game on the Arcade called 'Avenging Spirit'.

Basically, it's a fairly standard run & gun platformer, but the twist is that your character is actually a spirit which can possess other people. So, when the character you are currently possessing dies, you can fly to another and take control of them and their abilities. Worth a look!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:08 pm

JackPainter wrote: I've also been playing Castlevania on the NES - Great game.
Great game, but I never managed to finish the bloody game...

I'm currently playing Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance (GBA), another great Castlevania game! I own most of them, and so far, I cannot consider even one to be only average...
I still have to find the PS2 episodes though...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Half Life 2 ep 2, more of the same but still good fun, will then play Portal.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires on the PS2.

Loving it! Like the mechanic, not too taxing strategy rounds followed by straight-into-the-action lead your troops to victory!

Hack and slash fun fun fun.

DANW547

Post by DANW547 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Deus Ex PS2 version, I periodically chip away at this version as the pc one is my favourite game of all time and this one is slightly different (albeit inferior mostly) and just a bunch of fun.

The control scheme works suprisingly well on the PS2 and the mothodical gameplay remains the same, if anyone out there has never played this game do yourself a favour and pick it up for about £3 on either format.
----

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:02 am

Completed Mass Effect last night, all in all I done a total of around 35 hours, that was spent on a lot of side missions. I was really heavily getting into it but when I done a couple of more missions I knew the story was winding up, so I knew there wasn't long to go. In this respect I'm slightly disappointed at the games length because at points it did feel slightly rushed. However the good news is that playing the game through a second time is a MUST. This time I aim to get a high renegade score (similar to the dark side in KOTOR) and am playing through with a female character who's possibly lesbian but I haven't decided yet! :P

It's quite amazing playing through a second time with all new female dialogue coupled with the fact I'm a totally different class (adept) who is powerful with biotic's, my previous playthrough was with a soldier who was really handy with heavy weapons. It actually almost feels like a different game on the second playthrough!

Defniately the best game I've played in around 3 years, Bioshock a close second but you can't miss out on this one!

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:41 am

I've never completed NOLF so I'm doing it now. One of the best first person shooters in my opinion, although it doesn't come close to Wolfenstein 3D, Doom or Duke 3D in my honest opinion.

I'm also planning on completing Perfect Dark in emulator when I get the chance, but if I can get my hands on a real N64, then Perfect Dark will be one of my top priority games to buy along with it.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 am

I've finally been able to play my dreamcast. And i've been playing the excellent resi evil code veronica :D

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 pm

C=Style wrote:Completed Mass Effect last night, all in all I done a total of around 35 hours, that was spent on a lot of side missions. I was really heavily getting into it but when I done a couple of more missions I knew the story was winding up, so I knew there wasn't long to go. In this respect I'm slightly disappointed at the games length because at points it did feel slightly rushed. However the good news is that playing the game through a second time is a MUST. This time I aim to get a high renegade score (similar to the dark side in KOTOR) and am playing through with a female character who's possibly lesbian but I haven't decided yet! :P

It's quite amazing playing through a second time with all new female dialogue coupled with the fact I'm a totally different class (adept) who is powerful with biotic's, my previous playthrough was with a soldier who was really handy with heavy weapons. It actually almost feels like a different game on the second playthrough!

Defniately the best game I've played in around 3 years, Bioshock a close second but you can't miss out on this one!
Another game in my "must have" list then... Thanks for your review, I think I'll enjoy this game, though I have to start (and finish) Bioshock before I buy Mass Effect...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Spooky wrote:

I'm currently playing Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance (GBA), another great Castlevania game! I own most of them, and so far, I cannot consider even one to be only average...
Awesome, I'll look out for Harmony of Dissonance.

I'm on STAGE 11 on Castlevania. I still think it's a great, but a times it can be incredibly frustrating. Stuff like..a bat hits you, you fly half way accoss the screen in to a bottomless pit. When this happens three times in a row, I put the controller down and I take a breather. :wink:
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm a regular Castlevania gamer.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:41 pm

JackPainter wrote:
Spooky wrote:

Awesome, I'll look out for Harmony of Dissonance.

I'm on STAGE 11 on Castlevania. I still think it's a great, but a times it can be incredibly frustrating. Stuff like..a bat hits you, you fly half way accoss the screen in to a bottomless pit. When this happens three times in a row, I put the controller down and I take a breather. :wink:
Dracula X on the Snes has one better than that. You are on a moving platform with bats coming at you and mermen springing up from below. Its impossible to maneuver out of the way (you'll fall into a pit) so you need to time your attacks juuuuuuuust right! Great series though, one of the best.

I've been spending the week playing Black Tiger on Capcom Classics Collection. Such an amazing game, its aged so well! The last 2 bosses should have been the other way round though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:45 pm

After reading the article in RG47, I'm probably going to try out Elite on several systems.