What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:24 pm

SPECCY SUNDAY
Head Over Heels
The Young Ones
Beach-Head
Tapper
MASK

:D 8)
Press Play On Tape

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:48 pm

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 - didn't realise how rusty I was and the patch to fix it acctually seems to have made it look worse but it seems to work so I'll fettle with it later.
More Fallout 4 - Mostly Settlement building as they dont stop crying, I'm trying to also see how long I can put off doing the story while trying to build a maxxed out Super Human, I'm currently in 2289 and close to level 130.
Watching you sleep since 1990

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:40 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Fantastic Dizzy
Madden NFL '94
Ghostbusters

Press Play On Tape

BrownyGeorge

Post by BrownyGeorge » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:09 am

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:40 pm
MEGA DRIVE MONDAY
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Fantastic Dizzy
Madden NFL '94
Ghostbusters

Oh, Street Fighter II....soooo many memories :D
Gotta catch'em all Pokemon Nanoblock!

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:10 am

Yeah that's a pretty good Monday!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Generations, and back on that Dead Cells crack.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY
Jocky Wilson's Darts Challenge
The Trap Door
Barbarian
Flying Shark
Ice Breaker

Press Play On Tape

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:54 pm

Got out the NGPC for Metal Slug 1st Mission and 2nd Mission (confusing naming as each stage is called Mission aswell) - I'm naturally awful at it and my old eyes don't help so I see a screen update in the future providing I can find one the correct size.
Also the GBA came out, got NFS Underground and most wanted out, Underground's actually a pretty decent racer for the System and I miss hooning my actual M3 about.
Included in my grab was the original GB version of R-type and Tetris, the former for a spot of arcade fun and the later as I can play it to switch off.

And before anyone whines but you can do this and that or emulate this etc, I felt like playing the original hardware and even wouldn't mind breakingout the DMG if it didn't have screenrot (have been wanting to replace the screen for ages but I do not want to mod it as this is my original so it's my nostalgia trip).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Played a few free Steam games
Almost all where awful
Dis the game, im sure its a troll game, it starts in Polish, and becomes worse the more I played it
Famaze, said it was based on SNES games, feels like a mobile game with its portrait orientation
Naissacne, the fact that its window name is "Unreal engine" rather than the game and that its white with no textures, feels like its trying to be a meaningful journey, I call it pretentious bullsh*t
Super crate box, so bloody crap, looks like a rainbow islands style game, isnt, its more "Spam the screen wit enemy's the get fast and one hit kill
The Expendabros, this is more like it, kill everything in a 2D style, different characters and four player Bro-op, its loud, its violent and its used to promote another game
Golden Hornet, simple defender/choplifter style game that is bloody great
Sega2006 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:54 pm
Got out the NGPC for Metal Slug 1st Mission and 2nd Mission (confusing naming as each stage is called Mission aswell) - I'm naturally awful at it and my old eyes don't help so I see a screen update in the future providing I can find one the correct size.

And before anyone whines but you can do this and that or emulate this etc, I felt like playing the original hardware and even wouldn't mind breakingout the DMG if it didn't have screenrot (have been wanting to replace the screen for ages but I do not want to mod it as this is my original so it's my nostalgia trip).
That prisoner level in the first one where all you have is a knife
Ohhhhhhhhhhh that level, for a handheld game it has a lot going on.

You can get a light option for the NGPC
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000062 ... new_Detail
It looks like it makes it easier to see

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm

That version is the wrong size version, it makes the screen skinnier as its shared with the GBC (if you search it on Youtube you'll see what I mean), there is a IPS option thats closer to the correct size but its having the funds to do it, the main issue the NGPC has always had in relation to modding is that it's screen was a custom design from Sharp so its not that finacially viable to make a dedicated option for it given how uncommon they are versus something like a Gameboy, which is probably why I got mine from a Gamestation for 99p as they didn't know what it was.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:28 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm
That version is the wrong size version, it makes the screen skinnier as its shared with the GBC (if you search it on Youtube you'll see what I mean), there is a IPS option thats closer to the correct size but its having the funds to do it, the main issue the NGPC has always had in relation to modding is that it's screen was a custom design from Sharp so its not that finacially viable to make a dedicated option for it given how uncommon they are versus something like a Gameboy, which is probably why I got mine from a Gamestation for 99p as they didn't know what it was.
Yeah I saw that, but its to be expected from Aliexpress things

Is this the one you mean?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Pixel- ... 3884500623

A few years ago I was tempted to try and make a big version of one, akin to one of those giant Gameboys,, but a bit smaller
https://technabob.com/blog/2016/02/23/b ... -game-boy/
My woodworking skills are not quite at that level
(OK that one wasnt made out of wood, but most are(

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 am

Retroleague kicking off again next Sunday, time to start exploring MAME for some new hidden gems to nominate. Anyone know how decent the arcade version of Rampart is?
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:51 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 am
Retroleague kicking off again next Sunday, time to start exploring MAME for some new hidden gems to nominate. Anyone know how decent the arcade version of Rampart is?
Rampart is a good game, but its also a trackball one, made mainly for multi-player than single

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 am

Prin
That looks like it might be the right one although the board seems a little different so I'd have to find the vid again for it to make 100% sure.
The problem with Wood is even in something like pine it'll be heavy which isn't a problem if it's staying in one place but if you want to display it at different places or carry it for a gag it becomes a problem, if you were well equipt for it ideally fibreglass would be best (Carbon fibre would be better but thats really hard to do) as it'll look like the plastic and can be made pretty strong aswell as being light.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:26 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 am
Prin
That looks like it might be the right one although the board seems a little different so I'd have to find the vid again for it to make 100% sure.
The problem with Wood is even in something like pine it'll be heavy which isn't a problem if it's staying in one place but if you want to display it at different places or carry it for a gag it becomes a problem, if you were well equipt for it ideally fibreglass would be best (Carbon fibre would be better but thats really hard to do) as it'll look like the plastic and can be made pretty strong aswell as being light.
Most of the ones ive been seeing are "drop in" solutions

In the vid I just watched about it they used "Sintra board". Its a project for future me that im hoping has a great cash flow coming in and lives in a bigger place.
(I need those 6 magic balls........)