What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Yakuza Kiwami - been so long since I last played the PS2 original that this feels like a brand-new game to me. That said, it may as well be as there's quite a lot of new content and substories. I remember some of them from back in the day but others I've either forgotten about or were brand-new.

Liking the direct continuation to Zero though, especially since I completed that earlier this year.

Oh and I might be in a minority here, but I can't say I enjoy "Majima Everywhere". It just gets annoying after a bit, especially when you are just trying to get around and have to fight him several times in succession. That's one new feature that I wouldn't have missed.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Star Wars Battlefront: For the hype of the new movie (Plus screw it, Hoth is snowy so its Christmas-y enough. :lol: ), but I also discovered that you could change the region on your EA account to find more populated severs for the DLC stuff, so been trying those out and nabbing the achievements as best I can.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:17 pm

LAST MEGA DRIVE MONDAY OF THE DECADE!!

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Golden Axe
WWF Royal Rumble
Road Rash
The Chaos Engine
Flicky

8) :D 8)
Press Play On Tape

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:42 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY

Spellbound
Mailstrom
Play It Again, Sam
Count Duckular

8) :D
Press Play On Tape

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am

Dirt Rally on PS4. Unforgiving and ultra-realistic, but so satisfying when you get your head round what's required to finish in the points.

Rush Rally 3 on Switch. Surprisingly good, for the price. It looks good and is very forgiving in the handling dept.

WRC 8 on Switch. Looks very good, but I've not played enough of it yet to offer much of an opinion. Initial feeling are that it's okay-ish.

V-Rally 4 on Switch. Looks quite good, but plays like a dog with back to front legs (to steal an old saying). Also has the single most appalling and confusing menu/progression system I've encountered in all my years of gaming. You literally have no clue how well, or otherwise, you're getting on.

WRC 5 on PS3. Bought for £3 on eBay, the visuals are a massive step up from WRC2, released a couple of years before.

Sega Rally Revo on PSP (via GPD emulation). Arcadey and fun, not much thinking required.

Rallisport Challenge 2 on OG Xbox. Graphics that hurt the eyes sometimes (even using a custom component cable), but handling to rival Saturn Sega Rally.

Colin McRae 4 on OG Xbox. Good looking, but pretty generic in every dept. Average.

V-Rally 3 on Gamecube. Played through the Carby upscaler, this actually looks quite good, but doesn't hold interest long.

Colin MCRae 2 on PS1 (via Retroarch emulation on Raspberry Pi) The Daddy of rally games, IMO. Near-perfect handling and fantastic-looking when played in GL mode with added graphic filters. 30fps, too.

And Saturn Panzer Dragoon/Zwei.
Thoughts and prayers.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:24 pm

Just a spot of Rally racing then :wink:

I returned to the Commonwealth in Fallout 4, takes my mind off of things when its not crashing the Xbox.
Been conservative with building this time to conserve resources, specc'd up my carrying abilities and caps finding early on to keep myself in ammo and stimpacks and power leveled via Radiant quests, only downside with that being Companions now want to chat frequently and usually at the worst moment.
Watching you sleep since 1990

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:25 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY

Super Smash TV
Budokan: The Martial Spirit
James Pond 2: Codename: Robocod
Ghostbusters
Rolling Thunder 2

:D
Press Play On Tape

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 am

Spent most of the weekend playing Yakuza 7. Game clock says 20+ hours already and its basically just starting to open up. The switch to turn based battles is an interesting one, and while I'm not quite sure what my thoughts on the combat are yet (I need to play way more) I do like how combat works. And certainly like how the party works just in general for the plot and the overworld/activities. Its still a Yakuza game, and a darn fun one at that. Ended up getting pretty good at the arcade games, managed to clear Outrun a few time with different routes and even reach the end level of Fantasy Zone on one credit (messed up though...)
New city is really nice as well, exploring it slowly and it feels more expansive than previous games as it includes areas outside the usual red light districts.

Oh, and before that I spent a bunch of time playing Sekiro, which again I loved loads. Managed to beat all the bosses/see all the endings. Awesome combat, great difficulty curve and some of the most fun bosses in a game I've played. Not quite as difficult as its made out to be either!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:51 pm

DOOM (classic) on Switch
Wow, what the hell is with the lag with firing?
Also quick select is nice and all, but id like to have the choice of weapons.
I NEED THE CHAINSAW TO BE QUICKLY SELECTABLE!!

David

Post by David » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 am

Some neo geo on the psp

Baseball stars 2 (joint favourite neo game with windjammers)

Matrimelee - has got some so so reviews but I think it's incredible.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 am

Oh, and before that I spent a bunch of time playing Sekiro, which again I loved loads. Managed to beat all the bosses/see all the endings. Awesome combat, great difficulty curve and some of the most fun bosses in a game I've played. Not quite as difficult as its made out to be either!
Is the big snake in the castle possible to beat as I saw the back end of its tail. Also do the enemies constantly respawn or only a limited amount of times like Dark Souls. Some of the larger enemies stay dead after resting at the bomb fire but others don’t and I don’t get what the conditions are for things respawning.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:01 am

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 am

Is the big snake in the castle possible to beat as I saw the back end of its tail. Also do the enemies constantly respawn or only a limited amount of times like Dark Souls. Some of the larger enemies stay dead after resting at the bomb fire but others don’t and I don’t get what the conditions are for things respawning.
You can kill the snake but its more of a puzzle, it basically involves a series of steps and then stabbing it from above. You gotta do it for one of the endings. Enemies respawn when you warp/rest as with Dark Souls.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm

SHOCK!
I played something other than Hyrule Warriors (Just done the Twilight princess map)

All Japan pro wrestling featuring virtua

Its basically Viruta fighter with wrestling
The command on screen is
B>then a direction>C>Away and C>C when the opponent's shoulders hit the mat
This does a grapple then switch behind, german suplex pin

clarkc055

Post by clarkc055 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Maple Story on the PC (A free 2D platform MMORPG. I just love the way this game looks, the backgrounds are gorgeous)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 am

108 odd hours into Yakuza 7 on the PS4. Change in combat is actually an interesting move, chapter 12's boss was a blast to fight (nice to finally have some challenge injected into the game!) and all the content surrounding the game really draws me in (hence why I've put 108 hours into the game). The plot is really interesting as well, really sets up well for the end game, and any potential sequels.