What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 am

^^^ Sounds great. The Tales series has probably become my top JRPG series in recent years. Final Fantasy has disappeared up it's own arse as far as I'm concerned and there really isn't much else outside of the totally crazy Nippon Ichi and Gust stuff that makes me want to see the plot through to the end. Xillia + Xillia 2 had stories and characters that I really enjoyed.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:53 pm

Played a bit of 007: Nightfire the other day for the first time in a long time, in some ways the game is a tad clunky compared to smoother modern FPSs, but it's still very playable.

Still addicted to Resident Evil Relations 2 Raid Mode, so easy to pick up and play for a mindless action fix.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 am
^^^ Sounds great. The Tales series has probably become my top JRPG series in recent years. Final Fantasy has disappeared up it's own arse as far as I'm concerned and there really isn't much else outside of the totally crazy Nippon Ichi and Gust stuff that makes me want to see the plot through to the end. Xillia + Xillia 2 had stories and characters that I really enjoyed.
You should track down YS Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, takes about 20 to 25 hours to complete everything but brilliant story and combat is like the tales games.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Now sunk 500 hours into Rocket League and still only semi good at it. The hardcore player base are now insane and regularly doing mechanics even the developers would not have forseen.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:05 pm

After a lot of hassle and rage I got several emulators up and running including Atari Lynx, 7800 and C64 games working on Snes Mini as well as Mame and a really awesome full screen Out Run.

Ninja Golf is pretty good and the Lynx stuff is really good best version of Shadow of the Beast.

Game and watch emulation is very good Panarama Screen Snoopy and Donkey Jnr running on the Snes Mini, Bmx Flyer the game I wanted to play most is proving difficult to get working.

At least all the Nes and Snes stuff is now running on the mini even Rendering Ranger

Still can't get Amstrad and Intelivision to work
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Currently playing Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak. This game is great for someone like me whose favorite RTS series's of all time is Command and Conquer, Warcraft and Dawn of War (not counting the 3rd game). So if you ever wanted a C&C game to have you keep your units from mission to mission with them leveling up over the course of the game, then this is the game for you (as it is for me).

Highly enjoyable game. Story / plot is good, music - background stuff you don't notice but it does the job, camera is wonky but is alright. Love the alternate scanning screen view that you can switch to. It combined with the background ambient voiced stuff which gives that screen a very distinct NASA-type vibe. Quite a few missions in the game by the look of it as I've been playing this game for a few days now and am still going. I really like that you can play this game how you like. Want to take your time and get all the resources and artifacts before going for the mission objective? Go for it. Want to rush to the end? Go for it.

So very much enjoying this game so far.

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:41 am

I realised today that I popped Skyrim into my Nintendo Switch a while back to check it out and have 'just a quick look at it' and I've been playing it in small doses daily ever since. And 'a while back' turns out to have been about a month ago!

I was pretty much completely new to this game when I started. I'm still finding new things, and I'm impressed at how different the various dungeons and crypts you end up investigating have been so far.

Had a lot of fun buying a house and settling in there with my female sidekick. I've adopted a couple of kids. And I have a bookshelf. And a room FILLED with cheese!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Speccy Saturday!!

The Living Daylights
Flying Shark
Auf Wiedersehen Monty
Rick Dangerous 2

8) :D 8)
Press Play On Tape

HdE

Post by HdE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I've got LOTS of fond memories of playing Auf Weidersehen Monty on my Spectrum Plus. It blew my mind when I got to the flying bits.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:50 am
dste wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Resident Evil 5 on the 360.

Currently on chapter 3 and it just seems to be a bit dull and laboured. Cannot quite put my finger on it but while it has been playable it hasn't quite been enjoyable.
Are you playing it on your own or co-op? I tried it on my own and found it clunky, boring and I was constantly getting annoyed with the AI partner (Shiva?) In co-op it really comes into it's own.
Played it on my own. Ended up liking it but it was the controls that annoyed me, could have been a lot smoother especially when trying to escape. Didn't really have any problems with Sheva apart from at the beginning where she was using herbs that I didn't want her to use but I just kept them myself and gave her ammo. Might give it another play through with a mate at some point.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:04 pm

dste wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am
The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:50 am
dste wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Resident Evil 5 on the 360.

Currently on chapter 3 and it just seems to be a bit dull and laboured. Cannot quite put my finger on it but while it has been playable it hasn't quite been enjoyable.
Are you playing it on your own or co-op? I tried it on my own and found it clunky, boring and I was constantly getting annoyed with the AI partner (Shiva?) In co-op it really comes into it's own.
Played it on my own. Ended up liking it but it was the controls that annoyed me, could have been a lot smoother especially when trying to escape. Didn't really have any problems with Sheva apart from at the beginning where she was using herbs that I didn't want her to use but I just kept them myself and gave her ammo. Might give it another play through with a mate at some point.
Resi 5 gets a bad rap. I recently played through it all again on the PS4 and it still holds up. Definitely better in co-op though!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:19 am

RE5 rocks. Never understood how some people could have such contrasting runs with the AI though, some found it terrible, while I had the AI rock and help me beat the tag team boss on the hardest difficulty (which was a tough fight indeed).

Anyway, had a few days off last week, and basically spent my entire time playing Yakuza 3 on my PS4. The remaster is so good, between the story and large amount of optional content I was glued to my PS4 for days. Spent a couple of hours alone playing Golf, which while being a tad frustrating at times is a really solid game. Then there was Darts, Pool, managing hostesses, dating hostesses and pulling off all manor of painful looking heat moves on enemies. Good solid Yakuza fun.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HdE

Post by HdE » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:05 am

My latest diversion during ccoffee breaks has been Fast RMX on the Nintendo Switch.

Some of the reviews I saw for this were a bit mealy mouthed. It's not a perfectly designed game by any stretch, but its a REALLY good little racer. The phase shifting mechanic makes it stand out from F Zero and Wipeout just enough that it doesn't feel like a derivative rip off. And the time attack mode is VERY challenging.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:17 am

Testing two new C64 games...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Gamer Guy

Post by Gamer Guy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:18 pm

im not only testing my gamecube handheld portable but my arcade cabinet i made. 10k games but some rnt working properly