What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 07, 2017 5:33 am

Rayne wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:36 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 pm
Been playing a nice variety of games this week:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: I never got the Wii U version since I wasn't impressed by it at the time but so far I'm really liking the Switch version. First off it looks nice and seems to have plenty of content, so at least I'll get a decent amount of playtime out of the game. The time trial ghosts especially seem fun.

Secondly I really love how perfect it is for handheld/portable play. It looks great and being able to take it anywhere to do some time trials is very convenient. Only issue I had was that on 100cc the AI was laughably easy. I'll give 150cc a try next.
Yup! Lots of this for me too. Absolutely love the re-vamped battle mode, brilliant fun.

Aside from Mario Kart I've spent some time with Destiny - now level 15 with a squad of three. Great game, funny how much of it I remember. Also doing regular Overwatch sessions, I'm always staggered by the ranks I see. I'm level 215 (2 x prestige) and that's taken somewhere in the region of 180 hours. Last night I was competing a group of level 1500 (gold 5* prestige) :shock: even playing OW every night since release, I wouldn't have thought you'd rank up that much. Insane.
I've not even touched battle mode yet. I've mainly just being playing wireless GP's with a friend and the ghost time trial mode (racing staff ghosts) which is really fun. The TT's have really helped me learn courses, which in turn really helped in the GP's when you know how to tackle the shortcuts properly. 150cc is pretty much perfect for me as well, trying to go after 3 star gold cups for each GP if possible.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Sun May 07, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm finally getting near the end of Resident Evil 7. Where i utterly loved that decrepit, decaying house that was crammed with a life times junk and those crazy hillbillies, the move to the ship has really killed a lot of the atmosphere for me. I don't know whether it's because the setting now seems too familiar to other games or it's playing the "scary little girl" card too often, but it's really gone downhill in the enjoyment stakes. It also might have to do with the "here comes the science" part where the story gets explained - whereas i'm not sure i really wanted to have everything neatly laid out. Somethings are just scary because you don't know why they're happening. At least i'm confident bloody Wesker won't show up and do his pantomime villain part.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 am

Fired up Diablo 3 on PS4 after a long break, and it seems I now have Mercy wings in my Stash? I thought you had to link to a Battle.Net account for that. :?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed May 10, 2017 9:16 am

I've reached the Helicopter Gunship boss in Ninja Gaiden and I've decided I'm bored of it. The camera pisses me off no end, along with the boss' ability to effortlessly drain huge chunks of your health bar (making me spam health kits, which I've now ran out of).

I bought God of War: Ascension and a Tomb Raider game (PS3)- would have stated God but it took ages to update. Fancied some Halo Reach while I waited and the One demanded an update too. 3.8 Gig, censored hell.......

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 pm

The way on steam, if you like another world or flashback then this is right up your street
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 11, 2017 6:10 am

Ended up playing through the Spectre Knight DLC (for Shovel Knight) 3-4 times this week as I couldn't put it down! Finally completed all the feats in the game, just have a few optional challenges left now for overall completeness while I wait for the King Knight DLC to be released. I love the amount of support this game gets with free DLC, and excellent DLC at that! The Spectre Knight content felt like a brand new game, not just a reskin of the original game with all the new enemies, level design, moves, boss patterns changing significantly etc.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 11, 2017 11:37 am

Lego Lord of the Rings - all the standard features of the Lego games but to be honest this is the weakest one I've played. The cartoony feel is at odds with the dialogue and tone of the film, it's filled with bugs and the jumping controls are awful.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Testing for someone
Im not to good at it, could be because I dont have the feel for where the buttons are

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Gradius V (PS2) - reminding me that I'm utterly sh*t at shmups. Very pretty game though and I like the power-up system too. Lasers and the 'multiple' power-up are an absolute must.

Also gave 1945 1 & 2 a re-visit. Again, I'm crap at these games but I managed to get near the end on both games relatively easily so I look forward to trying to beat them. The blend of WWII-themed enemies and massive mechs is a weird one but I like it really.

Trying to get my PS2 collection more arcade-orientated to fit better with my current available gaming time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Sat May 13, 2017 4:12 am

Picked up Dreamfall Chapters the physical release on Xbox One. Def worth the wait for the price, and it comes with a soundtrack CD too.

Loved Dreamfall on the original Xbox and it's great to finally get back into it after all those years. I can't believe how much of the story and characters I can recall!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat May 13, 2017 9:43 am

God of War: Ascension, PS3.

I'm enjoying the more elaborate presentation that PS3 can manage over the original GoW but I feel it doesn't play as well. The enemies seem less iconic and it's irritating when the camera pulls right back for a dramatic reveal while I'm busting fighting a pack of evil-doers. Overall, not at all bad and worth the few quid Cex will charge you for it nowadays. Was probably underwhelming as a full price retail release.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 am

Megamixer wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 pm
Gradius V (PS2) - reminding me that I'm utterly sh*t at shmups. Very pretty game though and I like the power-up system too. Lasers and the 'multiple' power-up are an absolute must.
That's kind of why I sold it. The presentation is fantastic, the first two stages have my favourite music, but I didn't really like playing it. I think one cc-ing it would actually be easier than trying to recover from a death and loss of power-ups.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam closed beta. I think I'll try out Quake Champions beta too.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Sega touring car championship
Back in the day there was a load of build up hype about this in SSM, then it came out

C**p frame rate, to the point where it makes it almost unplayable,

Sonic R
If the levels were a bit less of a open world this might of been good, enjoyed it a lot when it came out, but that was quiet times for the SS and I got my £40 out of it

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun May 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I've been playing Paladins on both XboxOne and PS4. Poor man's Overwatch (though I think it came out before on PC, I'm not sure).

Good fun if you like Team Fortress, Overwatch etc. Might grab the founders pack at some point as it is only £15.99.