What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Rayne

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:21 am

^ Interesting! Flawed in what way? Obviously I'm a little bias but I always felt that it was mechanically perfect.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 am

Rayne wrote:^ Interesting! Flawed in what way? Obviously I'm a little bias but I always felt that it was mechanically perfect.
The memory is a bit vague as I haven't played it since it was new but i do remember the camera being super annoying and also my brother had a hard time in the fiery lava bit; he couldn't backtrack but was too weak to beat that Dragon-thing boss so he gave-up on it. I do have some fond memories; I was the first person in my circle to beat the Helicopter gunship boss. I think God of War has less issues with the camera but a slower, less athletic character helps.

I've just ordered PS3 Gaiden Sigma as I want to play it again.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 am

Rayne wrote:
SJ_Sathanas wrote:God of War, ps2. I've owned it for years but never got around to trying it before. It reminds me an awful lot of Xbox Ninja Gaiden.
Except, you know, nowhere near as good :lol:

Still on the new Zelda, got 2/4 divine beasts. This might honestly just be the best video game I've ever played.

Also playing a lot of Hearthstone (the new meta rocks) and a bit of HOTS. Not a fan of MOBA but my gf loves it.
Never got on With Ninja Gaiden TBH.

The best God of War clone, and a very underrated game is Dantes Inferno. Anyone who likes God of war should play this game.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 am

Another attempt to get into Shovel Knight.

I put this on to nullify my pangs for that Wonderboy 3 remake that landed recently. I'm always tempted by the old retro stuff but then find I just can't be doing with the fussy nature of Old School Difficulty etc, especially the pattern learning boss rubbish. So a quick blast on Shovel Knight seemed in order to remind me why I should save my money.

Funnily enough, this is the furthest I've got on Shovel Knight without getting bored. I've done the mole guy and I'm about to go into the Treasure Knight place or something. I expect I'll be ditching the game before too long, I'm just not much of a retro gamer anymore, but at least I'm starting to feel like I got at least some use out of the game at last. It's cured my slight desire for Wonderboy 3 too. Nice one.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 am

The Beans wrote:Another attempt to get into Shovel Knight.

I put this on to nullify my pangs for that Wonderboy 3 remake that landed recently. I'm always tempted by the old retro stuff but then find I just can't be doing with the fussy nature of Old School Difficulty etc, especially the pattern learning boss rubbish. So a quick blast on Shovel Knight seemed in order to remind me why I should save my money.

Funnily enough, this is the furthest I've got on Shovel Knight without getting bored. I've done the mole guy and I'm about to go into the Treasure Knight place or something. I expect I'll be ditching the game before too long, I'm just not much of a retro gamer anymore, but at least I'm starting to feel like I got at least some use out of the game at last. It's cured my slight desire for Wonderboy 3 too. Nice one.
I've had a couple of goes at that. Much like Spelunky, I'm just having to accept that it is probably very good but I just don't like it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Haven't played this since the original X-Box release. I stand by my original recollections; the camera just cannot keep up with the action and it's getting to be a right pain in the arse.
Last edited by SJ_Sathanas on Fri May 05, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu May 04, 2017 6:57 am

Not got much time to play anything at the moment but when I get a few minutes I'm enjoying neo turf masters on my iPhone.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 am

silvergunner wrote:Not got much time to play anything at the moment but when I get a few minutes I'm enjoying neo turf masters on my iPhone.
Great game, amazing to think the original AES version is going for $8k+!

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 am

Enjoying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe multiplayer !

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri May 05, 2017 2:32 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 am
silvergunner wrote:Not got much time to play anything at the moment but when I get a few minutes I'm enjoying neo turf masters on my iPhone.
Great game, amazing to think the original AES version is going for $8k+!
Yeah that is one console I would be scared of collecting for. One because of the money involved. Two is that the fakes are so good also due to the money involved. I really could not be doing with the hassle of trying to verify every purchase.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Fri May 05, 2017 3:24 am

I've been flirting with the idea of getting Turf Masters for Switch but I've got a fair few golf games already. What stands out about Neo Turf?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pm

VirtuaMuser wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:24 am
I've been flirting with the idea of getting Turf Masters for Switch but I've got a fair few golf games already. What stands out about Neo Turf?
For me personally it's the presentation. It was developed by Nazca and so the visuals are fantastic as you'd expect from a company who created the Metal Slug games + art style. Also it has some really rather lovely jazzy tunes.

It's been re-released loads of times on digital services and also on SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 for PS2/Wii/PSP.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Been playing a nice variety of games this week:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: I never got the Wii U version since I wasn't impressed by it at the time but so far I'm really liking the Switch version. First off it looks nice and seems to have plenty of content, so at least I'll get a decent amount of playtime out of the game. The time trial ghosts especially seem fun.

Secondly I really love how perfect it is for handheld/portable play. It looks great and being able to take it anywhere to do some time trials is very convenient. Only issue I had was that on 100cc the AI was laughably easy. I'll give 150cc a try next.

Duck Tales 2 and Rescue Rangers 2: via the PS4 Disney collection, DT2 surprised me a lot as its probably the best game in the collection. Its like the original only more refined with better levels and boss fights. Still a bit on the easy side but otherwise its pretty much perfect. RR2 is pretty great as well, but a couple of the bosses take way too long to beat and pose little to no challenge so it makes for some really boring fights (the final boss is especially guilty of this at times).

Persona 5: Up to the third boss. Still really enjoying the mix of dungeon crawling and story progression. Fun battle system and plenty to do outside of combat so its stolen many hours from me lately.

Street Fighter V: Still plugging away at this, I'm at a great point where all my online matches have been fun. I've stuck to Zangief for now as he's a really fun character to use in this game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Sat May 06, 2017 7:56 am

Megamixer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pm

For me personally it's the presentation. It was developed by Nazca and so the visuals are fantastic as you'd expect from a company who created the Metal Slug games + art style. Also it has some really rather lovely jazzy tunes.

It's been re-released loads of times on digital services and also on SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 for PS2/Wii/PSP.
You convinced me! Ha ha

Spent most of the morning chilling out with this game, oh man the music! Germany course... that is all! Dig the look, pace, and overall presentation. Just the golf game I needed.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 06, 2017 8:36 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 pm
Been playing a nice variety of games this week:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: I never got the Wii U version since I wasn't impressed by it at the time but so far I'm really liking the Switch version. First off it looks nice and seems to have plenty of content, so at least I'll get a decent amount of playtime out of the game. The time trial ghosts especially seem fun.

Secondly I really love how perfect it is for handheld/portable play. It looks great and being able to take it anywhere to do some time trials is very convenient. Only issue I had was that on 100cc the AI was laughably easy. I'll give 150cc a try next.
Yup! Lots of this for me too. Absolutely love the re-vamped battle mode, brilliant fun.

Aside from Mario Kart I've spent some time with Destiny - now level 15 with a squad of three. Great game, funny how much of it I remember. Also doing regular Overwatch sessions, I'm always staggered by the ranks I see. I'm level 215 (2 x prestige) and that's taken somewhere in the region of 180 hours. Last night I was competing a group of level 1500 (gold 5* prestige) :shock: even playing OW every night since release, I wouldn't have thought you'd rank up that much. Insane.