What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13155
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 am

The Beans wrote:
nokgod wrote:Headshots...pah! Testicle shots for the win! :mrgreen:
Heh, have you ever played Bulletstorm?
I mean, if something as simple as a shot to the balls makes you happy then just about everything in Bulletstorm will have you grinning from ear to ear. It's the game of spectacular OTT kills. And that includes some brutal offings that involve testicles.
Full clip edition of bulletstorm is out now on current gen however I completed it twice on ps3. Loved it. Kicking people on to a cactus never gets old!
Image

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by The Beans » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 am

sscott wrote:
The Beans wrote:
nokgod wrote:Headshots...pah! Testicle shots for the win! :mrgreen:
Heh, have you ever played Bulletstorm?
I mean, if something as simple as a shot to the balls makes you happy then just about everything in Bulletstorm will have you grinning from ear to ear. It's the game of spectacular OTT kills. And that includes some brutal offings that involve testicles.
Full clip edition of bulletstorm is out now on current gen however I completed it twice on ps3. Loved it. Kicking people on to a cactus never gets old!
Yeah I'm currently enjoying the Full Clip edition on Xbox One. I played it on 360 originally. It's a lot of fun which is why I'm loving it all over again.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

VirtuaMuser
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by VirtuaMuser » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Really enjoying Persona 3 Portable while I wait for the PS3 version Persona 5 in the mail.

The PSP version of Persona 3 may come across as being stripped down, but honestly it isn't. I would say that's it's streamlined in a way that the experience actually flows a whole lot better.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:01 am

VirtuaMuser wrote:Really enjoying Persona 3 Portable while I wait for the PS3 version Persona 5 in the mail.

The PSP version of Persona 3 may come across as being stripped down, but honestly it isn't. I would say that's it's streamlined in a way that the experience actually flows a whole lot better.
I'm looking forward to giving 3 a try in the future. I'm working my way through 5 at the moment and am having a great time with it. Never played a Persona game before but I'm definitely hooked now!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13155
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by sscott » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:43 am

Started Mafia III. Love Mafia II despite its flaws and despite average reviews I'm already into the story of this one. Got a bit further on horizon zero dawn and it just keeps getting better!
Image

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:29 am

ShadowMan wrote:
VirtuaMuser wrote:Really enjoying Persona 3 Portable while I wait for the PS3 version Persona 5 in the mail.

The PSP version of Persona 3 may come across as being stripped down, but honestly it isn't. I would say that's it's streamlined in a way that the experience actually flows a whole lot better.
I'm looking forward to giving 3 a try in the future. I'm working my way through 5 at the moment and am having a great time with it. Never played a Persona game before but I'm definitely hooked now!
The greatest step up in P5 is the hand-crafted dungeons, Tartarus is gonna feel like a slog in comparison.
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am

VirtuaMuser wrote:Really enjoying Persona 3 Portable while I wait for the PS3 version Persona 5 in the mail.

The PSP version of Persona 3 may come across as being stripped down, but honestly it isn't. I would say that's it's streamlined in a way that the experience actually flows a whole lot better.
Agreed. I actually preferred instant travel rather than walking around. On the downside, it doesn't include any of the extra stuff that was in the FES edition on PS2 but it does let you play as a female protagonist so I'd say it's worth owning both versions. I completed P3, P3: FES and P3 Portable and must have spent 300-400hours across all three I reckon :shock:

Haven't bought P5 yet as I still haven't played Persona 4 despite having had the PS2 version on my shelf ever since I got brand-new on release :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11118
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
VirtuaMuser wrote:Really enjoying Persona 3 Portable while I wait for the PS3 version Persona 5 in the mail.

The PSP version of Persona 3 may come across as being stripped down, but honestly it isn't. I would say that's it's streamlined in a way that the experience actually flows a whole lot better.
I'm looking forward to giving 3 a try in the future. I'm working my way through 5 at the moment and am having a great time with it. Never played a Persona game before but I'm definitely hooked now!
The greatest step up in P5 is the hand-crafted dungeons, Tartarus is gonna feel like a slog in comparison.
The dungeons (well the two I've played so far) in 5 are definitely excellent. I love how stylish they are and how they fit perfectly with the bosses messed up personalities...
I've been playing more Persona 5 today, managed to beat the second boss. Could have handled the second boss way better that's for sure but still managed to hang on just long enough to launch a decent counter attack :lol: Makes me wonder what the third dungeon will be like...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

VirtuaMuser
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by VirtuaMuser » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 pm

@MegaMixer: Between Persona 3 and Persona 4 I have to say 3 is a MUCH better game. Persona 4 has one of the slowest starts in any RPG and the setting and characters just didn't ooze the same charisma. I will say Kanji is the highlight of the whole experience, with his coming of age story being quite a meaningful commentary on contemporary social identities. Persona 4 did "fix" a lot of gameplay aspects, such being able to control all your party members. But honestly,as frustrating as AI party members were at times in Persona 3, I felt it made the experience a little special as you befriended these guys outside of battle and trusted their battle performance.

@Sel Feena: I thought my time with Persona 3 Portable wouldn't last very long given the nature of Tartarus but I have to say the experience is practically painless in a portable setting!

@ShadowMan: I've heard such great things about the dungeon design. I still think Persona 4 Golden (Vita) and Persona 3 Portable (PSP) are worth getting hold of if you planned on playing a portable RPG.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 am

VirtuaMuser wrote:@MegaMixer: Between Persona 3 and Persona 4 I have to say 3 is a MUCH better game. Persona 4 has one of the slowest starts in any RPG and the setting and characters just didn't ooze the same charisma. I will say Kanji is the highlight of the whole experience, with his coming of age story being quite a meaningful commentary on contemporary social identities. Persona 4 did "fix" a lot of gameplay aspects, such being able to control all your party members. But honestly,as frustrating as AI party members were at times in Persona 3, I felt it made the experience a little special as you befriended these guys outside of battle and trusted their battle performance.
Pretty sure I had full control over the whole party in all of the P3 games? You can definitely do it in the PSP version as I've just checked the manual of my copy and confirmed that there is a "direct command" option in the Tactics menu when in battle. Pretty sure this was in the PS2 versions as well since I seem to remember getting annoyed with the CPU decisions and immediately switching to direct command.

I will hopefully get around to P4 eventually. I know of the characters and the basic plotline after playing the hell out of the P4 Arena Ultimax fighting game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

VirtuaMuser
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by VirtuaMuser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:46 am

Direct Command was most certainly added in FES and Persona 3 PSP. But AFAIK it wasn't in the original Persona 3 I played in 2007.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:07 am

VirtuaMuser wrote:Direct Command was most certainly added in FES and Persona 3 PSP. But AFAIK it wasn't in the original Persona 3 I played in 2007.
Ah, ok. I must admit that I was a little unsure (I just couldn't imagine somebody like me putting up with not being in control but I guess I must have!) and since I don't have the original version anymore, I wasn't able to have a quick check :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24668
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Alien breed trilogy on 360

Its not perfect, but im enjoying it

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:32 pm

DPrinny wrote:Alien breed trilogy on 360

Its not perfect, but im enjoying it
100 times better than hell divers on ps4 but better still is the old alien breed
This guy are sick

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:50 am

Asura's Wrath on PS3 a.k.a QTE: The Game. Powered all the way through to the final boss yesterday in one sitting so just have that to do. I started off not really enjoying it but the boss battles are ridiculously epic (and the QTE's really lenient to be fair) and I have to say that I love it right now. It seems like the sort of game/experiment that we might not get again.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests