What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 am

djcarlos wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:
djcarlos wrote:XCOM 2

Wow! Incredible. Highly, highly recommended.
Does it play well on the PS4? On my shopping list but waiting for a price drop.
I think it plays brilliantly on the PS4. I'm around 8 or 9 hours in now, I also bought all the DLC (which is discounted to £7.99 for the lot at the moment on PSN) and it integrates perfectly into the storyline. I didn't even realise which bits were DLC until I read some reviews afterwards.

I am a long-time fan of the XCOM games, and this really is the pinnacle.
Awesome, sounds really good!!

Next question, what did you make of Terror From Deep after the original game was so good? :D

SneakingSuit

Post by SneakingSuit » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:27 pm

PGR3

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 am

Ssf2 turbo HD remix
Rayman legends
Pro evo 2016
Under defeat HD
Modern warfare 3
Need for speed most wanted

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 am

Playing through the latest Doom on the PS4. I'm really loving the simplicity of it all - just shoot stuff. No cinematic story crap, no stupid two weapon limit, just pure shooting action against loads of different enemies. Feels like the Doom sequel I've wanted for a while, and one of my favourite FPS games in recent memory. Nice huge, open levels as well, plenty to explore and find (and that's worth doing so your leveled up, ready for later areas). Plenty of levels as well, fairly decent length so far from what I played (though I'm guessing I'm quite close to the end now. I'm tempted to try doing all the level challenges if I can... Not sure if I'll get all the collectables though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:03 am

ShadowMan wrote:Playing through the latest Doom on the PS4. I'm really loving the simplicity of it all - just shoot stuff. No cinematic story crap, no stupid two weapon limit, just pure shooting action against loads of different enemies. Feels like the Doom sequel I've wanted for a while, and one of my favourite FPS games in recent memory. Nice huge, open levels as well, plenty to explore and find (and that's worth doing so your leveled up, ready for later areas). Plenty of levels as well, fairly decent length so far from what I played (though I'm guessing I'm quite close to the end now. I'm tempted to try doing all the level challenges if I can... Not sure if I'll get all the collectables though.
No weapons reloading... I can't tell you how annoying reloading is to me now in other shooters. It just gets in the way. Especially when your character has to take the bloody gun apart and put it back together again like censored Mike from Spaced. Gets old really quickly.

You should try and do the challenges, they're mostly loads of fun. The rewards for them aren't really worthwhile, mind you. I didn't find the runes all that helpful. But, for me, the best part of the game was trying to find the collectables and the classic Doom levels.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm

theantmeister wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Playing through the latest Doom on the PS4. I'm really loving the simplicity of it all - just shoot stuff. No cinematic story crap, no stupid two weapon limit, just pure shooting action against loads of different enemies. Feels like the Doom sequel I've wanted for a while, and one of my favourite FPS games in recent memory. Nice huge, open levels as well, plenty to explore and find (and that's worth doing so your leveled up, ready for later areas). Plenty of levels as well, fairly decent length so far from what I played (though I'm guessing I'm quite close to the end now. I'm tempted to try doing all the level challenges if I can... Not sure if I'll get all the collectables though.
No weapons reloading... I can't tell you how annoying reloading is to me now in other shooters. It just gets in the way. Especially when your character has to take the bloody gun apart and put it back together again like censored Mike from Spaced. Gets old really quickly.

You should try and do the challenges, they're mostly loads of fun. The rewards for them aren't really worthwhile, mind you. I didn't find the runes all that helpful. But, for me, the best part of the game was trying to find the collectables and the classic Doom levels.
Yeah, no reloading is a blessing indeed in this game. It would completely kill the flow of the gameplay. I've been doing the challenges as I go (well, most of them) but I've only found one classic Doom level so far. I'll have to grab those on another playthrough I think.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 am

Still playing Battlefield 1, the new Back to Basics mode has injected some sanity into the game, everybody just has a bolt action rifle and the heavy tanks/aeroplanes have been removed! Great way to level up the classes quickly.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:53 am

ShadowMan wrote:
theantmeister wrote:

Yeah, no reloading is a blessing indeed in this game. It would completely kill the flow of the gameplay. I've been doing the challenges as I go (well, most of them) but I've only found one classic Doom level so far. I'll have to grab those on another playthrough I think.

For me the classic levels didn't really work because the way the enemies act is completely different, the Pinkeys being a prime example. Can't knock a game for a hidden extra though, and what I love is there is actually a rather deep story and lore in the game, it's just optional.

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:44 am

Really enjoying playing through the ps3 stuff I've missed out on over the past few years

Rayman legends and street fighter HD are stunning

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 am

I'm about halfway through Codemane Steam, enjoying it a lot in short bursts. Just started Typoman, pretty fun and quirky game, my missus gets the puzzles way quicker than me. Also started Darksiders 2, its ok so far but not really grabbing me.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:38 am

Negative Creep wrote:
For me the classic levels didn't really work because the way the enemies act is completely different, the Pinkeys being a prime example. Can't knock a game for a hidden extra though, and what I love is there is actually a rather deep story and lore in the game, it's just optional.
I'll have to give them a try anyway just for the novelty of it. At the moment though I'm polishing off the last couple of Rune Upgrades and Level Challenges now I have the game completed. Gotta hand it to the game, really fun to replay it to do these challenges etc. Its one of those rare games that just feels really good to replay even after the game is complete.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am

Currently playing through 'Mafia 2' - 360, enjoying it so far; I love the old style gangster games- wish there it was more open world to do more in but can't argue, picked it up last year for about £2.99 at Oxfam.

Had been meaning to sit down and play through it since. Here's the really weird bit; I actually bought this game brand new for the PS3 in 2010, just on release for my Nephew's Birthday. Never did I thought, I would buy it a few years later, second hand and think it's a good game (Have got Mafia 1 for the original XBox). Planning now to go through the old 'Pile' of Shame' games, that have bought and not played or finished, start with 360 first as I can see achievements stopping soon - I think I read 2018 somewhere and right now got a fair few to play. At the minute, just aiming for complete run through and then see how many achievements I can get along the way. Plus, no PS3 and can't get hold of the PS4 at the minute.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Playing Hotline Miami 2 on vita for a while now and have just deleted it. Got quite far in but have been stuck on a level now for days, managed to clear it and got stuck on the mext floor, days later i got to the next floor this afternoon. I paused the game to make a brew, went back to it and the pause menu says play, rewind, exit and something else...for some reason rewind was highlighted which i didnt notice till i pressed it, sending me to the start of the level again. I deleted it now in temper.

no warning of are you sure?

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Bit of Athlete Kings and Sonic Jam's TT mode on Saturn.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Started Yakuza 0, enjoying it so far, I'm reminded of Akibas Trip with how the map is divided into segments. Tried to visit the SEGA arcade, but couldn't do anything. It must unlock later I guess.