What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Rayne

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:42 am

Nothing but Overwatch! Rank 58 on PS4, Rank 28 on PC. Still haven't tried competitive yet, although I'll be giving it a go fairly soon now that I have a regular team. Currently jumping between all characters although I'd say I 'main' Tracer, Mei and Lucio.

Hearthstone - I managed to build an excellent hunter deck thanks to a few lucky draws from card packs. Now looking to make a murlock deck :lol:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 am

Sel Feena wrote:
Nemesis wrote:Overwatch, Overwatch and more Overwatch.

Well chuffed tonight as I got three POTG's as Mercy in just over an hours play. Probably should be more sociable though than just solo queuing, but hey ho. Looking forward to the new support Ana. I'm not good at sniping but it appears that you don't need to scope too much with this hero.
I'm getting a weird issue where I'm getting kicked out of Ranked almost immediately. Looks like I'm stuck on QP for the foreseeable
I'm still mostly quick playing atm with The odd competitive game thrown in. I'm not busting a gut on competitive though as I don't want to get that serious about it and quick play is great since it never goes on for too long. A bit like a buffet, quick tasty bites rather than a nine course meal!
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Lucha Libre heroes del ring
Its not awful as a wrestling game, its just far from great
In a lucha game all finishers are grapples
The GTS is a strong grapple move not a finisher

Enslaved joenry to the west
Enjoying it so far, even if most of it is press button now
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 am

Started Bravely Default again, going to try and 100% it. So good. Brilliant little game.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:17 am

I picked up Tales of Monkey Island on PSN when it was going for 4 quid the other week. Just got through to the start of chapter 3 and i must say it isn't too bad to be honest. Easily better then Escape but of course not as good as the first 3.

As it is the first telltale game ive played it makes me excited for their Batman one they are doing.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:36 am

Still playing Super Metroid. The controls in this game...ugh. The platforming in Doom worked better than this and that's in first person!

Still hating the wall jump, but now I also hate the swinging mechanic and the space jump. They got wall jumping right in Batman on the NES and swinging in Bionic Commando - how the hell did Nintendo get it so wrong in Metroid? There's just no weight to Samus, that's the fundamental problem.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:23 am

Now that I've gotten past all the irritating transfer/update processes that ground my gears no end in DoA5 Last Round for the PS4, I finally played the game properly yesterday. It's great to be back and even though Tecmo seem to have taken a SFII approach with all the sequels and updates, it really is worth it by this point with such a complete roster and near self-indulgent levels of graphical detail. To be fair, I was always a big fan of the basic DoA5 when it originally launched but Last Round is going to be fun to get lost in again, I think.

Tried out Phase-4 last night and I'm not really sure whether I enjoy playing as her tbh but she has some easy combo strings to memorise and I was fairly decent with her. Love her fifth unlockable outfit as well.

Had a play with the different 'motion' settings in the options too...for research purposes of course :oops: . The thing with shaking the pad is a bit too much though. The game could certainly have done without it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 am

Fausseté Amour an undiscovered gem- a PC Engine Super CD title from Naxat Soft - 2d Castlevania with a female replacing Belmont.. She attacks with a multi-directional whip, recalling shades of Castlevania, and can swing on practically any ceiling a la Bionic Commando. Also no health bar like Ghosts and Goblins 1 hit she loses her armour and is stripped to her underwear.. Awesome game does get easier when you learn patterns and how they fight..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Started playing the Bloodborne DLC which seems like more of the same so far (in the best way). New area, new enemies, new challenge! Only complaint so far is the way you access the DLC. In order to access it you have to get an item which appears in the dream area but I had no idea what it was for at the time so I just forgot about it. Then you have to go to a certain area in a certain level and wait a few seconds to be whisked away to the DLC area. Yeah, not the most user friendly method of accessing the DLC!

I've also started playing Firewatch on the PS4 which I got in the recent sale. I'm really liking this game, its mainly just exploring the national park with banter back and forth between you and the girl on the end of the intercom but its a nice world to explore and the dialog is great so I'm enjoying it so far. For added immersion I turned off the map pointer so I have to rely on a paper map and compass to navigate the game world. Its a neat little feature, and adds a nice little bit of "challenge" to the game.
Shinobi wrote:Fausseté Amour an undiscovered gem- a PC Engine Super CD title from Naxat Soft - 2d Castlevania with a female replacing Belmont.. She attacks with a multi-directional whip, recalling shades of Castlevania, and can swing on practically any ceiling a la Bionic Commando. Also no health bar like Ghosts and Goblins 1 hit she loses her armour and is stripped to her underwear.. Awesome game does get easier when you learn patterns and how they fight..
Sounds like my kind of game. Anything like Castlevania or GnG is right up my street!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Cleared all of the challenges in Yakuza 4 aside from parts of the Mini Games section so that's where I'm at now. Finally (after many thousands of Yen!) I managed to clear the massage challenges. That last one was really funny :lol: . It was stupidly hard though and real trial and error to learn when the bar at the side was going to start shooting upwards...I hate bashing buttons in any game :evil: . Trying to clear the Golf now which is enjoyable but challenging. Only managed to rank 2nd at best thus far, largely because my putting sucks. The mechanics make for a great golf game though so this could even form the basis for a standalone title I reckon - same for Pool and Darts.

Also, more adventures in downloading costume catalogues from the PSN store just to get certain costumes working in DOA5:LR :roll: . Such a rubbish DLC structure. However, I did manage to burn some more money on costumes for Ayane including the 'Aloha' costume. All I can say about that one is, "Christ". In a good way of course :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:53 am

Megamixer wrote:Cleared all of the challenges in Yakuza 4 aside from parts of the Mini Games section so that's where I'm at now. Finally (after many thousands of Yen!) I managed to clear the massage challenges. That last one was really funny :lol: . It was stupidly hard though and real trial and error to learn when the bar at the side was going to start shooting upwards...I hate bashing buttons in any game :evil: . Trying to clear the Golf now which is enjoyable but challenging. Only managed to rank 2nd at best thus far, largely because my putting sucks. The mechanics make for a great golf game though so this could even form the basis for a standalone title I reckon - same for Pool and Darts.

Also, more adventures in downloading costume catalogues from the PSN store just to get certain costumes working in DOA5:LR :roll: . Such a rubbish DLC structure. However, I did manage to burn some more money on costumes for Ayane including the 'Aloha' costume. All I can say about that one is, "Christ". In a good way of course :oops:
The massage parlor mini games were impossible to me at first back in Yakuza 2... Took me a few tries before I got it down, but its not too hard when you know what your doing, but yeah those last courses where the bar flails wildly makes things quite tricky at times. Pointless fact - among the cuts for Yakuza 3's English release was the massage parlor? Why? Either because of Sega's "people outside of Japan won't understand this" stance, or because if they bothered to translate the massage ladies side story, its revealed that she is a transsexual male. Then again they also cut the Akimoto side quests in that game because it was revealed that him and Mizuki are long lost brother and sister and they've unknowingly been committing incest all this time so it seems Sega just ran away from anything that could be deemed risque?

As for Yakuza 4's golf, I really need to retry that at some stage, as for some odd reason I never got along with that mini game in 4. I loved the Golf course in 3, I loved the tweaked course in Dead Souls, but for some reason I never got along with it on 4. I swear they messed up the putting... I do like the mini game though in other series, and as you noted most of these mini games are good enough as stand alone titles. Pool probably being the most impressive thanks to all the modes. Bowling in later games is pretty awesome as well, when they introduce (or flesh out) the splits mode. Oh, not to mention their brilliant, addictive version of Mah Jong. I'd totally buy a Yakuza mini games collection for my Vita :lol:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 am

Still on Super Mutant Alien Assault on Xbox One.
It's so easy to imagine this game in an arcade cab. It's great for quick plays. I'm really enjoying it despite the fact it's becoming increasingly obvious I'm hopelessly pisspoor at it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:25 am

Vice City (Android). I'm taking this to my coffin when I die :lol:
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 am

greenberet79 wrote:Vice City (Android). I'm taking this to my coffin when I die :lol:
Wow, you can really get games as advanced as Vice City on a smartphone now? :shock:

I recently revisited the game on PC through Wine (runs flawlessly). So addictive.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I swear they messed up the putting...
Frustrating thing is that I seem to assess the gradient of the green slightly wrong and miss my millimetres OR the ball will consistently hit the edge of the hole, roll around the edge a bit then shoot over the other side. A few instances of this happening immediately wrecks any chance of coming 1st in the tournament :(