What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by LAIS » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Fallout New Vegas - Decided to revisit this game. It's good, but the soundtrack is pretty weak compared to other Fallout games. Dean Martin is all well and good. It's Vegas, but it ain't Fallout.

Superhot - If you've not played this I'd recommend you do, it's great.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Yes, New Vegas is easily my favourite Fallout game. I must really replay it sometime.

I'm still playing Super Metroid. I'm not enjoying it as much as Fusion. Too much destructible block hunting. Upgrades just don't open up enough of the levels, I seem to run into so many dead ends.

Also, I just got to the wall jumping bit. This is censored terrible. Game wrecking even.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:47 am

Continuing through my Bloodborne playthrough, made a decent amount of progress yesterday. Beat a few more bosses and managed to find my way through the lost woods (what a pain in the ass that was to navigate, I got turned around more times than I remember!). Still really enjoying the game, the bosses have been nice and varied and you get a nice sense of reward to exploring the areas - be it decent new items, new shortcuts, restart points etc. Can't wait to see where I go next in the game...

I also started playing through Brothers on the PS4. Its another indie game that I hadn't had the chance to play until now, but I'm glad I did pick it up. The twin stick mechanic of controlling the brothers (each brother is mapped to their own analogue stick) works incredibly well in practice and the puzzles have been fun as well (not too hard, but very fun). I can already tell I will really enjoy this game :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:05 am

ShadowMan wrote:Continuing through my Bloodborne playthrough, made a decent amount of progress yesterday. Beat a few more bosses and managed to find my way through the lost woods (what a pain in the ass that was to navigate, I got turned around more times than I remember!). Still really enjoying the game, the bosses have been nice and varied and you get a nice sense of reward to exploring the areas - be it decent new items, new shortcuts, restart points etc. Can't wait to see where I go next in the game...
I'm still enjoying this. The woods were a Nightmare and found myself going in circles numerous times. I'm a few bosses ahead of you though I'm struggling on one now :(

What weapons are you using? I'm still with the Saw Cleaver w/fire gem and Ludwigs Holy Blade (2Handed). I dont tend to use the firearms all that much as my timing is often awful to get the stun on enemies

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Continuing through my Bloodborne playthrough, made a decent amount of progress yesterday. Beat a few more bosses and managed to find my way through the lost woods (what a pain in the ass that was to navigate, I got turned around more times than I remember!). Still really enjoying the game, the bosses have been nice and varied and you get a nice sense of reward to exploring the areas - be it decent new items, new shortcuts, restart points etc. Can't wait to see where I go next in the game...
I'm still enjoying this. The woods were a Nightmare and found myself going in circles numerous times. I'm a few bosses ahead of you though I'm struggling on one now :(

What weapons are you using? I'm still with the Saw Cleaver w/fire gem and Ludwigs Holy Blade (2Handed). I dont tend to use the firearms all that much as my timing is often awful to get the stun on enemies
I've stuck with my starter weapon - the giant razor thingy. Works like a charm in any situation I've come across so far and its one handed so I get to use my pistol for counter attacks (a vital cornerstone of my playstyle, I'll probably do a playthrough with a 2 handed weapon at some point but for now I'm sticking with what works (very well!).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:09 pm

After finishing bad company 2 I have now started on battlefield 3.

Never interested in the multiplayer aspect just the single player campaign. For £1 it would be rude not to :lol:

osshwa

Post by osshwa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Games I'm currently playing include (by console):

PS4

Star Wars Battlefront
Rainbow Six Siege
Plague Inc.

PS3

Gran Turismo 6

Wii U

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros

PS2

Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero

PS1

Need For Speed II

NES

Blades of Steel

Admittedly I'm mostly playing my PS4, but the games mentioned above still get played a least once a week/month.
NES / SNES / Genesis / Virtual Boy / Gameboy Color / Gameboy Advance SP / R-Zone / N64 / Dreamcast / PS1 / PS2 / PS3 / 360 / PS4

PSN / Instagram - osshwa

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Focussed more of my time on my Vita this week. Managed to finish the third story in Odin Sphere. Really enjoyed the change of pace Mercedes offered, really wish there were more battles that employed the scrolling shoot em up boss fights (again, nice change of pace compared to the last two characters).

I'm now back playing Ray Gigant. The story is still somewhat so-so thanks to the rather unlikable characters, but at least the gameplay remains fun, the bosses especially are a highlight of the game.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:52 pm

So far this year I've played two games on the Xbox One that have evoked fuzzy retro feelings in me. The first was Party Hard and the second is a game I bought today called Super Mutant Alien Assault.

It feels like one of those instant faves you stumble across while idly browsing through your full MAME romset. Ever done that? Mooched through the roms and found a hidden gem you've never heard of and the more you play it the more you like it? That's this game for me. It's got that old garish arcade art style and gameplay about it. Clear the screen of enemies using a combination of gunning and jumping and then bring on the next level for more of the same and unlock weps & moves as you go. Delicious.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 pm

DoDonPachi on the Sega Saturn....getting to level 5 on 1 credit in arcade mode now......

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Overwatch, Overwatch and more Overwatch.

Well chuffed tonight as I got three POTG's as Mercy in just over an hours play. Probably should be more sociable though than just solo queuing, but hey ho. Looking forward to the new support Ana. I'm not good at sniping but it appears that you don't need to scope too much with this hero.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:25 pm

More bosses down on Bloodborne, right at the end of the game now... I just did an optional boss battle at Cainhurst Castle - loved that fight, very tightly designed with a great set of attacks. Really enjoyed fighting him, took me a couple of tries to beat his second phase though, as I forgot to try to counter his attacks... so my second fight against him went way better than the first!
Before I try to finish the game I'm going to try and hit up some more of the optional areas to fight the optional bosses, as I really love the boss battles in this game :mrgreen:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 pm

I finished the original Bioshock - and now have started on Bioshock 2. Just getting used to playing as the Big Daddy(although - that's perhaps not that different - if you know the first game).

I really liked the story of the first game. I am hoping the second one is good as well. Fingers and drill bits crossed. :lol: :D

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Enjoying Full Mojo Rampage and Dangerous Golf a lot right now.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:12 am

Nemesis wrote:Overwatch, Overwatch and more Overwatch.

Well chuffed tonight as I got three POTG's as Mercy in just over an hours play. Probably should be more sociable though than just solo queuing, but hey ho. Looking forward to the new support Ana. I'm not good at sniping but it appears that you don't need to scope too much with this hero.
I'm getting a weird issue where I'm getting kicked out of Ranked almost immediately. Looks like I'm stuck on QP for the foreseeable