What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Shinobi wrote:Valkyria Chronicles HD what a brilliant game but difficult I'm stuck on Chapter 7 fight The trick is actually getting the Eidelweiss past the blue walls so the batomys keeps moving and shooting at the blue walls instead of stopping to shoot at your tank. I found this works until Selvaria turns up with her Legendary lance and shield... censored is an absolute tank she 1 shot kills all my characters and can not be damaged even with the Edelweiss as well as sniper + range.. I can't damage Maximillions tank or expose the third radiator
Also stuck at the same point, feels like I can't get the combination of troops right.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:04 pm

N++ for the PS4. I'm really loving this game the more I play it. Its gotten pretty hard, so I'm not sure how long its going to take for me to clear the remaining levels but I can't stop playing it so hopefully I'll finish them all eventually. Its one of the best platformers I've played in recent memory - the aesthetics are minimalistic, but the level design and controls are spot on which are the two most important things to me when playing a platformer which is why I've stuck to playing this for 25+ hours (can't believe its been that long). Its got a ton of content as well, which probably explains the long time I've spent on the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:26 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Valkyria Chronicles HD what a brilliant game but difficult I'm stuck on Chapter 7 fight The trick is actually getting the Eidelweiss past the blue walls so the batomys keeps moving and shooting at the blue walls instead of stopping to shoot at your tank. I found this works until Selvaria turns up with her Legendary lance and shield... censored is an absolute tank she 1 shot kills all my characters and can not be damaged even with the Edelweiss as well as sniper + range.. I can't damage Maximillions tank or expose the third radiator
Also stuck at the same point, feels like I can't get the combination of troops right.
This was a hard chapter that caught everybody out in the original version as well. The stage is tough enough without Selvaria showing up but one thing you should remember is that she can't be damaged so don't even bother trying to KO her.

I remember destroying all of the machinegun turrets on the tank early on before things get really serious (even if you have use up all of your CP on lancers).

Also, you can have troops climb the ladders on the sides of the tank and aim a grenade inside the radiator...it destroys it in one hit and won't injure your soldier. Perhaps have scouts positioned from a safe distance where they can sprint up to the Batomys tank at the right moment and climb the ladder. Destroying all of the gun turrets earlier on the battle makes this easier to accomplish as you won't take interception fire.

Finally, don't forget that you can save mid-battle at any time and reload the save should you die :) . I wouldn't feel guilty about spamming it on a stage like this. Saves having to start the entire thing from scratch when something goes disastrously wrong.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:
This was a hard chapter that caught everybody out in the original version as well. The stage is tough enough without Selvaria showing up but one thing you should remember is that she can't be damaged so don't even bother trying to KO her.

I remember destroying all of the machinegun turrets on the tank early on before things get really serious (even if you have use up all of your CP on lancers).

Also, you can have troops climb the ladders on the sides of the tank and aim a grenade inside the radiator...it destroys it in one hit and won't injure your soldier. Perhaps have scouts positioned from a safe distance where they can sprint up to the Batomys tank at the right moment and climb the ladder. Destroying all of the gun turrets earlier on the battle makes this easier to accomplish as you won't take interception fire.

Finally, don't forget that you can save mid-battle at any time and reload the save should you die :) . I wouldn't feel guilty about spamming it on a stage like this. Saves having to start the entire thing from scratch when something goes disastrously wrong.
I actually did it now I used Jann(the crafty Butcher "Hello Boys - feel ma muscles" does double damage, Elysse as she also does double damage and Theold put them up the top.. Then choose Alicia, Rosie and Largo for the other team as they all get extra Movement and Alica's a tank she's probably best character in the game well as Anya and a Engineer..

Run Alicia up the hill killed the Sniper ran over the building and killed the lancer.. Used Eidelweiss to destroy front gun and Jan and Elysse to destroy both left guns takes 3 shots each if your lucky.. Used Largo to destroy the 3 ruins turn ends then Maxamillion reveals his weak point when he destroys the rubble... Next turn used Alicia grenade on the right and top exhaust ports as Megamixer says instant kill hid Alica behind the wall..

Maxamillion won't destroy your bases if there's anybody hiding behind the wall so I drove the Eidelweiss into Selvaria as she can't damage the front of the Eidelweiss even though she can 1 shot kill it from behind.. Anyway Selvaria keeps attacking the Eldelweiss and moves to protect Maxamillion when he moves.. When all 3 generators are destroy you can attack Maxamillions Tank anywhere but Selvaria still can't be damaged she does kill an entire army in the following cut and deflect tank shells with her Lance which makes me think she can't be damaged..

The following fight in the wood at night where you can only use 2 characters and they handicap Alicia is far easier
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 pm

^^^ Yes, she definitely can't be damaged in this chapter.

There are some tricky chapters later on in the game but nothing as unexpectedly hard as Chapter 7.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:^^^ Yes, she definitely can't be damaged in this chapter.

There are some tricky chapters later on in the game but nothing as unexpectedly hard as Chapter 7.
That's good to know she is unbeatable on chapter 7, I even had Rosie equipped with the gun you get for finish still couldn't damage her.. Other than Chapter & and the Edy's dlc mission is there anything else off that difficulty? I see Selvaria is playable on the dlc as she still that overpowered or been toned down..

I hear there's a hidden Character called Audrey and she is also insanely overpowered and can kill Heavy Tanks in 1 hit but the requirements for getting her are quite strict 10 medals whatever they are?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Shinobi wrote:That's good to know she is unbeatable on chapter 7, I even had Rosie equipped with the gun you get for finish still couldn't damage her.. Other than Chapter & and the Edy's dlc mission is there anything else off that difficulty? I see Selvaria is playable on the dlc as she still that overpowered or been toned down..
Basically, you can't use her Valkyria state in the DLC so while she is still very powerful, you don't get the same sort of power as she displays when fighting against you :( . Her default weapon is still awesome though - a sniper rifle/heavy machinegun hybrid called 'Ruhm' which is a monster. The story in the DLC shows you why you can't use Selvaria's true power. It's a bit cheap and disappointing but I highly recommend playing 'Behind her Blue Flame' anyway. You see a different side of Selvarai since you are playing as the enemy.

The player wasn't able to use a 'proper' Valkyria until VCIII on the PSP.
Shinobi wrote: I hear there's a hidden Character called Audrey and she is also insanely overpowered and can kill Heavy Tanks in 1 hit but the requirements for getting her are quite strict 10 medals whatever they are?
From the VC Wikia:
Audrey has the highest potential for anti-tank damage of any Lancer in Valkyria Chronicles. Good Buddy gives +40% damage vsArmour (along with +40% accuracy), Tank Slayer +60% (along with +60% accuracy) and Ultimate Anti-Armour +90%, for a total of 290% of her weapon's base damage, with her Accuracy increased to 61.4. This means that with the top-level Lance, Audrey could theoretically destroy Batomys with one shot.
Medals are presented to your squad for certain, exceptional feats:
http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Medals_%28VC1%29

You don't really start earning the majority until mid-way through the game at least.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Trying out Rocket League for the first time and having a blast. Still completely chaotic at the moment, especially 4vs4, but have already managed a few memorable goals. Looks like it will be a great one to play in short bursts

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:19 am

Negative Creep wrote:Trying out Rocket League for the first time and having a blast. Still completely chaotic at the moment, especially 4vs4, but have already managed a few memorable goals. Looks like it will be a great one to play in short bursts
Yeah, I'm giving it a go while it's free. It's not a game I've ever fancied but it's playable enough. There's not enough there to make me buy it though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:37 am

Doom. Only a short way in but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Score Rush Extended. Lots of fun but a tad too easy and the scoring mechanics are too basic to make it a good leaderboard shooter. Good for a hassle free bit of bullet hell though.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:04 am

More Overwatch. For better or worse I am now completely addicted.

Junkrat can go f*ck himself, Lucio needs a hard nerf and Mcree is a d!ck. Mei is Bae. Mei is the best.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Rayne wrote:More Overwatch. For better or worse I am now completely addicted.

Junkrat can go f*ck himself, Lucio needs a hard nerf and Mcree is a d!ck. Mei is Bae. Mei is the best.
Yeah, me too. As a Mercy player I find Genji, Mcree, Reaver and Tracer a pain. I can deal with Junkrat though for the main part :)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Nemesis wrote:

Yeah, me too. As a Mercy player I find Genji, Mcree, Reaver and Tracer a pain. I can deal with Junkrat though for the main part :)
Just watching my son play this! Some lovely varied gameplay. Will dip in at some point!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Mae is fantastic to play as, terrible to play against! You can just troll the enemy with her :D

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Sel Feena wrote:

Mae is fantastic to play as, terrible to play against! You can just troll the enemy with her :D
She is brilliant, you can just feel the groans from the enemy team when they catch sight of you! :lol: she's so versatile too! Solid long-range damage, freeze abilities up close, ice walls for blocking/trapping enemies and the self-recover/defence move. Her ult can be a real life-saver when trying to capture an objective too. I'll regularly hit 6 or 7 kills before being eliminated when playing as her.

I'm also enjoying Winston a lot, love that jump move. D.Va is far and away my fave character, just wish I was better as her! Soldier 76 is okay, if somewhat boring. I like Tracer but so many people choose her I wind up not playing as her to save unbalancing the team :( .

Think I might have chanced into a game against you at somepoint! 2 x Winston led to a very, very quick loss for us :lol: we should team up sometime!