What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Mario 3D World - Incredible visuals, the game looks wonderful in HD! Really enjoying the new power-ups and differences between each character.

Smash Bros - FINALLY using Shulk to a point where I'm frequently winning. Really want to get better with Rosalina but while I can survive I rarely get the points for knock outs.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Been playing a lot of Project X Zone on my 3DS this weekend. 30 odd hours into the game and I love everything except the length. If ever there was a game that should have had chapters chopped out of it this'd be the game. Its so damn repetitive that it could be half the length and you'd not lose out on anything. I love all the characters, music, bosses etc. that show up but that kind of wears thin when your 30 missions into the game and doing the same thing you were doing 20 missions ago. I mainly just want to finish it now so that I can pick the sequel up (which may as well be more of the same, but its more of the same with Yakuza, Shenmue and more Mega Man in it!)
Both games are very repetitive with pretty naff stories but the fanservice is second to none in my opinion - easily the best crossovers in recent memory with a ridiculous number of real gamers' franchises mixed together. I hope you persevere to the end with the original but from memory, some of the later battles involve ridiculous numbers of enemies and stages with multiple bosses all at once with enormous HP counts. On a related note, I couldn't wait and started the sequel yesterday! Quite a way in already and I'm enjoying it more than the original (despite the loss of one of my favourites, Bahn...). I've got Kazuma and Majima too and they are absolutely awesome. The battle theme from the original Yakuza (Funk Goes On) plays during their turn and at the end of their super move, Kazuma's final kick is styled like the Japanese cover art for the first game :D

Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Been playing a lot of Project X Zone on my 3DS this weekend. 30 odd hours into the game and I love everything except the length. If ever there was a game that should have had chapters chopped out of it this'd be the game. Its so damn repetitive that it could be half the length and you'd not lose out on anything. I love all the characters, music, bosses etc. that show up but that kind of wears thin when your 30 missions into the game and doing the same thing you were doing 20 missions ago. I mainly just want to finish it now so that I can pick the sequel up (which may as well be more of the same, but its more of the same with Yakuza, Shenmue and more Mega Man in it!)
Both games are very repetitive with pretty naff stories but the fanservice is second to none in my opinion - easily the best crossovers in recent memory with a ridiculous number of real gamers' franchises mixed together. I hope you persevere to the end with the original but from memory, some of the later battles involve ridiculous numbers of enemies and stages with multiple bosses all at once with enormous HP counts. On a related note, I couldn't wait and started the sequel yesterday! Quite a way in already and I'm enjoying it more than the original (despite the loss of one of my favourites, Bahn...). I've got Kazuma and Majima too and they are absolutely awesome. The battle theme from the original Yakuza (Funk Goes On) plays during their turn and at the end of their super move, Kazuma's final kick is styled like the Japanese cover art for the first game :D

That's awesome, those kinds of nods to the games are the reason I keep plugging away at the original. Glad to hear that the Yakuza stuff is done really well so far in the second game, which Yakuza game (if any) does X Zone 2 borrow from most? I think its Dead Souls, though I was hoping it'd be any of the series bar that game since its the worst in the series! Still, playable Kiryu + Majima was always a guaranteed sale for me!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:57 am

ShadowMan wrote:That's awesome, those kinds of nods to the games are the reason I keep plugging away at the original. Glad to hear that the Yakuza stuff is done really well so far in the second game, which Yakuza game (if any) does X Zone 2 borrow from most? I think its Dead Souls, though I was hoping it'd be any of the series bar that game since its the worst in the series! Still, playable Kiryu + Majima was always a guaranteed sale for me!
Yes, unfortunately the characters are labelled as being from Dead Souls on the back of the box and the first encounter with them takes place in a B.O.W-infested Theatre Square. Their specials have so far mainly consisted of guns from the Dead Souls games but there are also some trademark physical combos too as well as Majima's spinning knife attack. I was hoping for Kiryu to be able to bash enemies with bicycles and traffic cones but I still have some moves to unlock so maybe...

Having the first game's battle theme is a major plus for me anyway as I personally consider it to be much better than any of the later ones :)

Hammered it some more last night and added X, Zero, Leon, Captain Commando and Ulala to my party. Looking forward to using the Fire Emblem Awakening characters once they become available again...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:42 am

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:That's awesome, those kinds of nods to the games are the reason I keep plugging away at the original. Glad to hear that the Yakuza stuff is done really well so far in the second game, which Yakuza game (if any) does X Zone 2 borrow from most? I think its Dead Souls, though I was hoping it'd be any of the series bar that game since its the worst in the series! Still, playable Kiryu + Majima was always a guaranteed sale for me!
Yes, unfortunately the characters are labelled as being from Dead Souls on the back of the box and the first encounter with them takes place in a B.O.W-infested Theatre Square. Their specials have so far mainly consisted of guns from the Dead Souls games but there are also some trademark physical combos too as well as Majima's spinning knife attack. I was hoping for Kiryu to be able to bash enemies with bicycles and traffic cones but I still have some moves to unlock so maybe...

Having the first game's battle theme is a major plus for me anyway as I personally consider it to be much better than any of the later ones :)

Hammered it some more last night and added X, Zero, Leon, Captain Commando and Ulala to my party. Looking forward to using the Fire Emblem Awakening characters once they become available again...
Oh well, it can't be perfect I guess... I'm guessing then the main antagonist they use from Dead Souls is Hayashi? Which I'd not be against, I loved his character in all the games he popped up in. As for the music, Yakuza 0 uses that badass theme for Kiryu's 4th (hidden) fighting style when you unlock it, which totally makes it worth using (aside from that fighting style being insanely useful on its own!)

I totally forgot Captain Commando was even in this game at all, I assumed that he showed up in Namco X Capcom for the PS2.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Oh well, it can't be perfect I guess... I'm guessing then the main antagonist they use from Dead Souls is Hayashi? Which I'd not be against, I loved his character in all the games he popped up in. As for the music, Yakuza 0 uses that badass theme for Kiryu's 4th (hidden) fighting style when you unlock it, which totally makes it worth using (aside from that fighting style being insanely useful on its own!)

I totally forgot Captain Commando was even in this game at all, I assumed that he showed up in Namco X Capcom for the PS2.
Not sure who the antagonist is yet as it hasn't been revealed. The zombies in the Kamurocho stage are blamed on Ouma and Shadaloo anyway so who knows!

Yeah, Captain Commando was in NxC (shame we didn't get that over here) and I believe the X Zone games are directly linked to NxC since Reiji and Xiamou were the lead, original characters from that game and a lot of the crossed over Capcom/Namco characters in the first X Zone already know each other from the PS2 game.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:38 am

Still playing Quake: Scourge of Aragon. It seems to have switched themes now to a more gothic/medieval style. Also, the difficulty has gone way up. :shock: Got to a bit last night where sections of the floor gives way to a lava pool. It's a sort of invisible maze with a switch at the end. And of course hitting the switch spawns in some enemies. :evil:

Still on my second play through of Fallout 4. Level 25 and I've finally found some power armour (I've avoided the Minutemen, so I didn't get the power armour at the start). Of course, as soon as I collected it I got attacked by a great big bloody sentry bot. I was starting to get a little bored from the lack of quests, but I seem to have struck a rich seem now, so I'm right back in it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Hyrule Warriors Legends - Tried on the demo on the eShop, I haven't played the Wii u version but liked what I saw here! The on the fly character switching and special moves are all extremely cool, as are the interpretations of each LoZ character. The 3DS does seem to struggle though, playing on a New 3DS and I noticed several noticeable framerate drops and the graphics really are sub-par. Still think I'll wind up buying it though.

Pokémon Red - Just got my 6th Gym badge, trying to figure out what I want my final team of 6 to be before moving forward. Right now I'm rocking Nidoking, Snorlax, Mew, Charizard and Butterfree. I definitely want a Slowpoke...would love Chansey if I could ever bloody catch one :evil:

Mario 3D World - On to world 4 and I just cannot emphasize enough how brilliant this game is! As a jadeded 20something gamer I'm stunned at how it manages to bring the joy back to gaming. Every single level will have this one little moment or touch that makes me stop and go, 'Wow'.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Oh well, it can't be perfect I guess... I'm guessing then the main antagonist they use from Dead Souls is Hayashi? Which I'd not be against, I loved his character in all the games he popped up in. As for the music, Yakuza 0 uses that badass theme for Kiryu's 4th (hidden) fighting style when you unlock it, which totally makes it worth using (aside from that fighting style being insanely useful on its own!)

Not sure who the antagonist is yet as it hasn't been revealed. The zombies in the Kamurocho stage are blamed on Ouma and Shadaloo anyway so who knows!

Yeah, Captain Commando was in NxC (shame we didn't get that over here) and I believe the X Zone games are directly linked to NxC since Reiji and Xiamou were the lead, original characters from that game and a lot of the crossed over Capcom/Namco characters in the first X Zone already know each other from the PS2 game.
Yeah, X Zone games are sequels to Namco X Capcom, since everyone basically knows everyone at the beginning of the first X Zone game.

Played more of Project X Zone over the last few days. Getting very close to the end now (up to mission 34). I'm playing it in short bursts which is doing wonders for me, as I'm not getting bored by the battles any more so that's good news! I love the huge amount of dialogue in the game as well, so many clever nods to various game series and characters...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Rayne wrote:h.Pokémon Red - Just got my 6th Gym badge, trying to figure out what I want my final team of 6 to be before moving forward. Right now I'm rocking Nidoking, Snorlax, Mew, Charizard and Butterfree. I definitely want a Slowpoke...would love Chansey if I could ever bloody catch one :evil:
Is this the 3DS version? If so, how does the game give you access to Mew this time around?

nightydog

Post by nightydog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 pm

FFXI for free on my PC brings me back.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:26 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Rayne wrote:h.Pokémon Red - Just got my 6th Gym badge, trying to figure out what I want my final team of 6 to be before moving forward. Right now I'm rocking Nidoking, Snorlax, Mew, Charizard and Butterfree. I definitely want a Slowpoke...would love Chansey if I could ever bloody catch one :evil:
Is this the 3DS version? If so, how does the game give you access to Mew this time around?
Pixel perfect rendition, with all it's highs and lows. The only change that's been made is the ability to play locally over wireless (and future Pokemon Bank support for Sun & Moon). I really expected to find it unplayable, what with how spoiled the new games have made me :D

Mew is an easy catch with the same methods we used in the playground, if you youtube it I'm sure you'll find a walkthrough! Just ensure you do it BEFORE you enter Cerulean City (Misty's one).

All in all I'm loving it! It's a joy to see the older designs and some Pokes that have been cruelly left out of the more recent titles.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 am

Far Cry 4 (PS4) - Finding this to be a fun FPS open world game, really liking the choice to either go in stealthily or go nuts with an RPG and explosives. Decided the hunt animals with an RPG too!

andyfunstock

Post by andyfunstock » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 am

I'm mainly playing a mix of:

- EDF 4.1
- Zombies Ate My Neighbours (still an all time favourite)
- Metal Slug 2
- FIFA 16
- Dirt Rally
- Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
General Manager at http://www.funstock.co.uk

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:56 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Far Cry 4 (PS4) - Finding this to be a fun FPS open world game, really liking the choice to either go in stealthily or go nuts with an RPG and explosives. Decided the hunt animals with an RPG too!
Pro Tip. The best way to stop a Rhino before he skewers you is to use C4. Works like a charm every time :lol: