What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bluce_Ree

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Nah it's great.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:33 pm

theantmeister wrote:
The Beans wrote:Geometry Wars thingy doodah on the Xbox One. Not a patch on Geo Wars thingy wotsit on 360. Absolutely hate the new art style. What a mess. No wonder it's sold next to sod all compared to the earlier games. How can such an awesome game morph into this unlovely turd? It defies belief. Thank god for game sharing. If I'd paid money for this I'd be gutted.
Two words: Bizarre Creations

:(
microsoft are idiots. for people such as me, racing games are sysytem sellers.

MS had the perfect Trio

Forza for serious, PGR for arcade, and Rallisport challenge for rally.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Inspired by Shinobi's thread the other week, I've unsealed Fragile Dreams for the Wii and started it at last after it being buried on the shelves for more years that I can remember. Seems alright so far and definitely intriguing enough to keep me playing. So far I've made it to the fairground and just met 'Crow'.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 pm

The Beans wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:
The Beans wrote:Geometry Wars thingy doodah on the Xbox One. Not a patch on Geo Wars thingy wotsit on 360. Absolutely hate the new art style. What a mess. No wonder it's sold next to sod all compared to the earlier games. How can such an awesome game morph into this unlovely turd? It defies belief. Thank god for game sharing. If I'd paid money for this I'd be gutted.
Geometry Wars 3? I thought it was excellent. The score targets are really well judged and it takes more than just shooting skills to beat them. The different levels and modes are good and there's a reason to use the various power ups on certain levels. In gameplay terms it's the best one for me.
Yeah whatever. The game looks pish. The franchise has gone from rainbow gravy for the eyes to can't-be-arsed indie blandness and throw in 2.5D level gimmicky crapness for good measure. There's a campaign. With bosses apparently. That's a whole world of turd right there. I also saw multiplayer available in the start menu. It's like everything that was good and right in the previous games has been stained with everything that's stale and mouldy in every other game. A game that once stood out has become just another twinstick. It's like something off XBLIG but without the enthusiasm. I frickin hated it after only five minutes. It's probably left a slime trail on my HD.
I absolutely love it too, play it all the time!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Infamous: First Light. At first I was a little bit wary of this - the main game didn't leave much backstory for Fetch and after playing with three powers, how would it feel being stuck with one? Luckily my concerns were for naught, the story is serviceable, Fetch remains a really compelling character and the Neon power has seen several tweaks and improvements that makes it fantastic fun!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Batman Arkham Knight for the PS4. I nabbed the Season Pass cheap before Xmas so I'm working my way through the content. Not that great content wise to be honest. Lots of characters but some aren't fun to use (Nightwing), Batmobile maps aren't all that awesome bar the Adam West and '89 movie tracks/cars and predator maps are hit and miss depending on how fun/frustrating the challenges on them are. I do like the Red Hood though, his playstyle and challenges force you to clear missions faster, which ended up being really fun. I'm leaving the two most substantial pieces of DLC to last, heard that they are still fairly so-so and short though. Still, I really enjoy the core game and am enjoying revisiting the game, even if the DLC could have been better.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Having just invested in a PS3, 10 years after it came out (nothing like being current) I've got a lot of catching up to do. First game I've begun indulging in is Fallout New Vegas; this is mainly to see if it's worthy of the criticism it seems to get these days - thoroughly enjoying it so far, but only a couple of hours in. It's that weird satisfaction of roaming around then finding something of value or use.

Also early doors into Toejam & Earl's Panic on Planet Funkotron, feels like it's going to be a belter - never played it in my youth, so completely new experience for me.

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Hameln violin no hiki

Its pretty good i like the different animals the girl can turn into and her facial expressions, and its nice and slow paced with awesome classical music

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:59 pm

That new DOOM level Romero released

Quite good fun
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:57 pm

More Burnout Paradise , though now ive discovered custom soundtracks I cant concentrate on driving with my music. Its the future.

Streetfighter Ex + @ - after a recent purchase via this very forum I have now rediscovered how much I loved this game. Oddly not put off by the terrible resolution , I can live with it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:52 am

shiftytigger wrote: Streetfighter Ex + @ - after a recent purchase via this very forum I have now rediscovered how much I loved this game. Oddly not put off by the terrible resolution , I can live with it.
EX+@ is one of my personal favourites in the series - especially some of the exclusive characters in the series - Skullomania & Garuda especially. Pity that Capcom fell out with the studio that made the game (Arika) so the chances of those characters ever getting used again is slim to none :(
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:19 am

Had another local multiplayer sesh with my brother the other night. Mario Kart Wii, Mario Footy, Kirby wii and Super Power Tennis were all in effect.

For some reason I love playing as Wiggler on the tennis. Though I can't believe I haven't unlocked Petey Pihrana yet, the shame of it.

Going to a mates today so will hopefully get some multiplayer in with him and his daughters.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Campaign mode on Black Ops 3, really been enjoying this, half decent story and quite a long play through too.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 am

After becoming really bad at DOOM I decided to GIT GOOD

Its a controller problem, its turning is iffy

Now im playing half mouse half pad
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:44 am

Tengami. It's a sort of popup book based puzzle game. So far the puzzles haven't been too taxing and it is very pretty to look at.

I suspect it is better on tablets though. Playing it with a mouse feels a bit strange.