What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Still plugging away at the first Halo in the Master Chief collection. I finished it last night in co-op but we played with the Bandana skull which negates completion. So now I'm re-playing the missions on Legendary mode solo. Every time I re-visit this game it seems to get more and more difficult :lol:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Just started Liberty City Stories on the PSP - wasn't expecting things to get so tricky so soon!

That Smash & Grab mission... How the blue blazes are you supposed to do that one???
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:01 am

Put a few hours into DC Universe Online - it's a really fun action-RPG, been playing solo but online so far.

Very pleasantly surprised, and it's free to download (on PS4 at least, dunno about other formats).

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:22 pm

My friend and I played co-op through 8 out of the 15 missions in Halo 2 in one sitting. The remastered visuals on the MCC look great but it's the cutscenes that take the cake! WOW. Man I'd have paid the full price tag just for those cutscenes on a disc, they're incredible! Sadly though, all the nice visuals in the world can't disguise the fact that Halo 2's campaign was...well...crap. The last few missions (library/icon) were a REAL slog. Hopefully the pace picks up toward the end.

I also started Shadow of Mordor. Not sure what to make of it right now...I love the idea of the nemesis system - and on occasions it works brilliantly. One bastard archer shot me and got promoted, the next time we met was as I was fleeing from another battle so he shot me again, by the third meeting he was mocking me and I was dead set on taking him out. My main complaint is the overworld seems extremely small (unless it expands later?) and there are too many enemies! I'm almost always in stealth mode and I'm continually bumping into captains/rivals from the nemesis system by mistake.

I thought it'd be structured a little clearer with more open space and obvious forts/caves where I could plan a take-down. As it is I tend to wander somewhere only to suddenly be set upon by 2 or 3 captains and a horde of enemies. Hopefully it gets better!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:49 am

Still trudging through The Last of Us. I think I'm getting close to the end now... I'm warming to the characters, but the gameplay is still annoying more than anything. The puzzle sections are ok, but the combat is terrible. At one point I was out in the forest trying to pick off bandits I could barely see and I died over and over. The next I was in a house and I just parked on the stairs and waited for each idiot NPC to climb them before I cracked them in the head with an axe. And remember - these aren't zombies, they're mercenaries/raiders. They would have to step over the mutilated corpse of their buddies to climb the stairs, but they just kept coming.

I laughed when Wolfenstein 3D did that, but when a game that sacrifices playability on the altar of realism does it...I'm less amused.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 am

Legend of Black Kat on the PS2 which is Assassins Creed but with a girl even down to the sailing missions and attacking the forts in the ship.. Looks like UBI copied everything about this game for the Assassins Creeds

Onimusha 3 the first Onimusha to me was far better than Onimusha 2 and 4 never bother with 3 before but this is a return to form, still quite annoying you don't fight Guildinstern as he always runs from you, and the forcing you to refight bosses you already killed
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Finally got Yatagarasu now that its on Steam. Played that a bit today and did a quick video of some arcade mode gameplay

https://youtu.be/H4c9FeaqyaQ

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:48 pm

I've been playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the 3DS the past couple of weeks, good stuff. Also 3D Out Run which was finally released here in Australia.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:24 am

Got back to playing my import copy of Yakuza 0. Currently working on the side missions, mini games and the Money Island section of the game (get lots of money fairly quickly) so that I can upgrade Kiryu with more moves/heat moves.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 am

shadowrun dragonfall again. got stuck on apex rising mission. i'm so looking forward to the new game! :D

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:41 am

ALMOST done with Dragon Age Inquisition, which is a solid 7/10 game for me, after this is done, i'll commit some serious time with The Elder Scrolls Online

have also downloaded Rocket League with PS Plus, which is, frankly, a game where 'the internet' was right, it's amazingly fun, especially yesterday evening after returning from a friend after a load of beers and flying through the air and scoring goals :lol:

i've also been enjoying Yoshi's Woolly World, which looks lovely

David

Post by David » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:45 pm

had a quick go on wrestlefest before work.

not played it for a few years.

still awesome. love the sound effects and music in it

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Starflight 1/2 on PC
Wow, the Megadrive version is a lot more fun than these,

I also tried playing SSX3 on this the results wernt to pleasing

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Just started A Link Between Worlds. Its been in my backlog for some time (December 2014!!!)

Great game so far! I lost most of last night playing it. Loving the Link to The Past era feel to it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Elder Scrolls Online on Xbox One and I'm really enjoying it. No need to bother with the PvP rubbish at all, the game's single player content is enormous! Because of this the MMO stuff just boils down to co-op and trading with mates, which is most excellent. The only game that has a chance of taking my Game Of The Year award off this is Fallout 4.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.