What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

007ctrl_room

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by 007ctrl_room » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:19 pm

just fired up a link the past last night on snes - it's been years since i've played it and i'm already re-hooked
LFGdating | Goldeneye, Red Alert and KOTOR are probably my Top 3 of all-time.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Fired up Trails Evolution the other day as my cousin (Who's amazing at the trials games) was finally badgered into beating my times on the tracks I made. Still can't get my first places back :(
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Red Dead Redemption......Im not a big fan of open world/sandbox games, but this is just so much fun!

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm

007ctrl_room wrote:just fired up a link the past last night on snes - it's been years since i've played it and i'm already re-hooked
I have got this on Super Famicom :) its good except of course I can't read Japanese lol!
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Tried to start playing Hokotu No Ken on the PS2 the other night but due to most of my pads being knackered and not having an arcade stick, I've had to temporarily shelve the game until I have something that I can use to pull off moves consistently. Seriously, I couldn't even make supers work most of the time so definitely time for some new controllers.

Instead I've started Persona 4 Arena Ultimax on the PS3 and thankfully my Dualshock 3 seems to be a lot better at taking a hammering as it's still sweet for 2D fighters. There are a lot of gauges, technical abilities and cancels etc. in this game but that's Arc System Works for you. It took me a while to get going but thankfully the intermediate difficulties aren't too punishing when not fully exploiting every single combat feature. I'm already a big fan of the Persona games so having the recognisable characters and a familiar OST is a real plus but the graphics are also lovely and the gameplay itself is proving fun (if not earth-shattering). I think I'll be spending some real time with this.

Also still playing through the Kudos World Series in PGR2. Only got a few classes left to go on 'easy' (Extreme and Ultimate) before I start going for the higher medals here and in Arcade. Loving the Nurburgring in this game!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Mario kart Wii

Some say Sonic Racing transformed is a B/S simulator, this one is full of more, how much s**t does the CPU need to fling at me, EVEN WHEN IM IN 8TH PLACE THE S**T DONT STOP!!

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:41 pm

DPrinny wrote:Mario kart Wii

Some say Sonic Racing transformed is a B/S simulator, this one is full of more, how much s**t does the CPU need to fling at me, EVEN WHEN IM IN 8TH PLACE THE S**T DONT STOP!!
I complain like crazy about the Wii U Mario Kart 8 online... the Item Boxes are SOOOO Unbalanced! I can get somethink like 1 Red Shell in 6th Place but the guy in 5th can get a Bullet Bill!!

Also what I don't seem to understand and hopefully someone can explain this to me, I get hit by a weapon.... it seems to take an age for me to get up to speed again. I see others get hit from Red Shells etc that I have thrown at them... they seem to stop for a split second or so and then Zoom off and overtake me again!! I have been on the verge of winning quite a few races only for the person I have hit with a Red Shell to go zooming past me..... I don't understand how they are doing it! :evil:
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:04 pm

DaveDoc1984 wrote:

I complain like crazy about the Wii U Mario Kart 8 online... the Item Boxes are SOOOO Unbalanced! I can get somethink like 1 Red Shell in 6th Place but the guy in 5th can get a Bullet Bill!!

Also what I don't seem to understand and hopefully someone can explain this to me, I get hit by a weapon.... it seems to take an age for me to get up to speed again. I see others get hit from Red Shells etc that I have thrown at them... they seem to stop for a split second or so and then Zoom off and overtake me again!! I have been on the verge of winning quite a few races only for the person I have hit with a Red Shell to go zooming past me..... I don't understand how they are doing it! :evil:
If you are talking about CPU opponents then there are plenty of videos/information out there that show how the CPU literally cheats throughout the MK series i.e. the pre-determined fastest CPU racers in a given cup will move/accelerate at impossible speed. I've also seen CPU opponents using invincibility stars out of the blue without collecting item boxes...

The insane speeds of real opponents in older games was either down to 'snaking' (a legitimate skill) or online hackers. I haven't played MK8 though so I can't comment on that game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 pm

DaveDoc1984 wrote:

Rubber bloody banding all over the place

I GOT ANOTHER COMPLAINT!!
The subspace mode in Smash Brothers Wii
A fair challenge is when a game is significantly difficult that when you loose its because you are not good enough (GOD HAND gets this)
This mode aint it, it just chucks s**t all over the place, most times while you are doing some annoying platfroming

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:32 pm

My eight year old daughter completed it no probs. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Final Fantasy 13/2 digital crack can't stop playing well into the night unusual for a game to hook me that much
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 pm

Musya - SNES - A hack and slash platformer with Japanese supernatural overtones. Great music.

King of Demons - SNES - An amazing Castlevania clone. Your character has a pistol rather than a whip. More great music.

Phantom 2040 - SNES - Excellent platform shooter with great colourful visuals

Obscure SNES gold ahoy
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Phantom 2040 is ace. Its bloody huge though AND a maze to navigate sometimes. I never did finish it for that reason, I got so far then got lost!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:14 am

Euro Truck Simulator 2! It's actually quiet therapeutic listening to the radio and trucking along.

Parking is absolutely impossible though, I spent so long trying to back into 1 spot my employer fired me :oops:

The highlight so far was the game enthusiastically notifying me that I had 'DISCOVERED MANCHESTER!'

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:29 am

gman72 wrote:My eight year old daughter completed it no probs. :D
I finished it a hour or so ago, and unlocked all the charaters

I now only need to play it in VS, but even there I know theres people that take it seriously, this horrible floaty mess of a fighting game