Pre-32 bit Horror (and indie horror in that style)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Pre-32 bit Horror (and indie horror in that style)

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm

So no Silent Hill or Resi - though if you're being anal, I guess Resident Evil Gaiden on Gameboy counts! :o

I suppose the first game I played that qualifies is Haunted House on the 2600 - not exactly the stuff of nightmares, but back then it did feel rather tense. I really want to play Clock Tower on the SNES after watching the GameCenter CX episode. There are a lot of creepy freeware games out there in a retro style too, such as Yume Nikki and The Witch's House.

What are your favourites? The first one you encountered, and the first one that actually creeped you out?

gman72

Re: Pre-32 bit Horror (and indie horror in that style)

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Nosferatu from Seta on the SNES.
A very cool horror version of Prince of Persia. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 pm

I always felt that the Forest of Doom was pretty nerve wracking as a kid, not sure it counts as horror these days though. But to me, back then, it was.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Zombi was a good game for the 8 buts and ST/Amiga - if you could figure out what you were doing! An unofficial game version of Dawn of the Dead
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

llj

Post by llj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm

I think low-tech horror games can be a lot creepier in some ways than modern horror games. Modern horror games often are too "cinematic", with all the pulse-pounding orchestra music and visual pyrotechnics, they end up more "exciting" than creepy.

Anyway, pre-32 bit/indie games that creep me out

Trilby's Notes--Still the scariest game I've ever played. The Tall Man is nightmarish. The mansion is creepy. The constant whispering sound effects in the later stages of the game are seriously hair raising if you're playing the game in an apartment or house by yourself.

I also find Laura Bow: The Colonel's Bequest to be a pretty creepy game, and certainly much more effective overall than its sequel, Dagger of Amon Ra. The minimalist sound effects add a lot to its atmosphere.

For horror, I find that less is more.

Indie games are really great for horror. There are a lot of sick, sick, sick independent game makers out there! :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Dracula: The Undead on the Lynx

Mystery Mansion on the Mega CD

7th Guest on the CD-i and PC

Friday 13th on the Spectrum

Midnight Mutants on the Atari 7800

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 am

Do the Splatterhouse games count? Used to enjoy #2 on the MD.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 am

Aliens US.

"Beep......beep.......beep....beep...beep...beep..beep.beepbeepbeepbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!"
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:13 am

The original and best - 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81 - with a huge T-Rex stalking you through a first-person view maze.
UK Aliens was pretty frantic too, though maybe a little artificial, forcing you to (all too slowly) turn on the spot to try and catch the alien circling you. A brave attempt at an FPS on an 8-bit though, even if you were just restricted to standing in the centre of each room.

Otherwise, I think it's hard for any tiddly sprite-based game to give you any shocks. Splatterhouse was wonderfully gruesome but not especially scary. About the only shock bit was where you walked past a series of mirrors, and at random as you passed one your mirror image would smash his way out and attack you.

The Elvira games and some Japanese adventures had some horror-movie style imagery, but again no movie-style shocks. The only adventure I remember with a genuine surprise was the Spectrum text-adventure adaptation of James Herbert's The Rats. If you were killed in the game, a load of (crude by todays standards) rats would appear tearing through the on-screen page of text to get to you.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 am

That giant skeleton boss in Super Probotector was pretty scary as a kid

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

never heard of trilby's notes what system is it for ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 pm

The original Alien game is fairly intense at times.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

llj

Post by llj » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm

snowkatt wrote:never heard of trilby's notes what system is it for ?
It's an indie game. It's free, so just find it and download it. It's smack in the middle part of a quadrilogy, though, so it helps to know what comes before it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chzo_Mythos

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:31 pm

First game that came to mind as soon as i read the title was Ghost House for the Master System. I had it as a kid and played the heck out of it. I loved that game so much, Its one of those games looking back on it, that I have no idea why it was picked. At the time of owning the MS, I think the MD was out and popular, so MS games were being sold rather cheaply, so my Parents would likely of picked up any title they could find. Which lead to having classics i loved such as Ghost House, Scrambled Spirits, Time Warriors, Pyshco Fox.

Anyway back to Ghost House, I played it so much, and i had really no idea what i was supposed to do, i just remember playing it until my health had been completely gone. I had no idea what the point of the game was until i watched a youtube lets play video of it a few years back. I had no idea that you were supposed to collect this or that, in a certain order and then face Dracula in the Basement. I just remember playing it as kid just hoping from house to house, floor to floor, until I died.

I looked it up on ebay last year and it goes for some high prices. Such a much loved game from my child hood.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Its not an actual horror game, but when I was 11 (in 1988) we got our first PC and got Zork 1 with it. For a kid, playing that game with the atmosphere it created with the Thief sneaking around waiting to knife you and the Grues, it was pretty scary stuff at times - kind of heart thudding in your chest and extremely tense-type atmosphere. I have awesome memories of that game - which you could say had a sprinkling of the elements of horror in it.