No more updated versions of Capcom fighters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jay

Re: No more updated versions of Capcom fighters

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 am

samhain81 wrote:
Joey wrote:You have to remember the only way you could play that game online up to that point was on GGPO which, although great, isn't always the most elegant/smoothest way of executing it.
Actually, your forgetting the street fighter anniversary edition for the original xbox, which was bundled with third strike and street fighter 2 Champtionship Edition for £20 retail. Both games were online for the original XBL, and had a good netcode which I was playing 8 years ago. So technically, capcom had already made that game available to play online for the previous generations. And it was backwards compatible for the 360, why the need to charge 1200ms?

£12 for a game that I technically owned already from MS and capcom in physical form, is alot to ask for.
The netcode on those games was garbage.

1200 points=£10.20 at the official MSP/GBP rate. Cheaper if you buy your points anywhere other than direct from MS via your 360.

For an updated version with some nice filters, challenges, trials and very good netcode, I think a tenner is a bargain, personally, but of course not everybody gets the same amount of replay value out of fighters so the perceived value is different for different folks.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 am

Black Ridge wrote: on another note... I love a bit of Capcum but i would like to see new fruits from their loins instead of crusty old stuff. :wink:
Wouldn't we all? Having some of their best fighters easily accessible on my console of choice with excellent online support is not to be sniffed at though.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 am

I agree, I mean I would pay as much as 1600 points for an online Powerstone, where as others might not, so different strokes for all.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 am

On the subject of the price of Capcom digital fighters - Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Marvel vs Capcom Origins are both half price (600 points) from today until the 15th.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 am

DPrinny wrote:
Don't expect more updated versions of classic Capcom fighting games, the publisher has said.

Following high definition reworks of the likes of Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel Super Heroes, Darkstalkers and Puzzle Fighter, Capcom will "slow down" on development of similar projects.

Why? Because of a drop-off in sales.

"Sadly, I think we've probably run the course of feasible titles here given the drop-off we've seen in sales with each new introduction," Capcom USA boss Christian Svensson wrote on the Capcom Unity website.

"It seems the novelty of such projects is wearing off even within just the fighting game community based upon the sales data of our last two launches. That said, we have been quite prolific in these areas (despite the assertion above that we haven't) and it's probably time for us to slow down anyway."

Svensson was responding to a thread titled "Capcom should talk to SNK, Sega, and EA", in which "gohan16ken" complained about the apparent struggles Capcom has experienced with the digital re-release of its back catalogue of games in comparison to the likes of Sega and SNK, which have re-released several of their old games on the Virtual Console, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade.

Svensson explained the complicated process Capcom must go through to re-release PlayStation 1, PS2 and PSP games on the PSN.

"There are three filters that must be passed in order for this to happen," he said. "First, Sony has to verify that the title in question works in their emulators (not all do). Second, all IP clearances must be had. That is to say, we must have digital distribution rights in the original agreements with middleware, voice actors, musical score, etc. Third, there must be an existing licence in force in the case of something that uses non-Capcom IP (e.g. SNK, Marvel, Xmen) and also no legacy IP issues.

"At times in the past teams have infringed upon other third party IP and new IP sweeps must be conducted to ensure that this is not the case in a given version. Once all three points are met, Sony takes control and it is up to them when and how it releases (though they do coordinate with us)."

More likely is the digital release of games that were previously disc-based - say Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter x Tekken or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Doing this on Xbox 360 is "easy" Svensson said. On PS3 it's more difficult, "however it's being done as a matter of the planned development on all forthcoming titles".

"So in short, what we can bring to you in these forms, we are doing so," Svensson added. "That doesn't mean EVERYTHING will show up and to set expectations, I think you should prepare yourself that not every fighting game we've made will receive even one of these treatments.

"I do not believe that conversations with SNK, EA, Sega or anyone else is going to alter these issues."

That's that then.
Another Capcom official was allegedly believed to have given the following statement to an undercover games journalist who was posing as a reporter for the Financial Times :

"It would appear to be too much like hard work for us to continue porting our back catalogue of classic games. We would like too, as we know are fans get wet at the prospect of playing X, Y, Z game every time a new console is released. Sadly, we have realised that there are several obstacles that would hinder the process, and with these obstacles in place - we just can't be arsed. If we could port our cherished IPs everytime there was an opportunity to do so, then we would as we just love cashing in. There's nothing more satisfying than re-releasing a game for the hundredth time and then seeing the money just roll in. Sadly the days of being a lazy ass-hat appear to be over. What we thought was a licence to print money (cough..Street Fighter..cough) just isn't worth the time and effort anymore.

We may continue to use the Street Fighter licence in other ways. We have looked at the prospect of creating a new Street Fighter clothing fashion line. We expect Sakura and Chun-Li branded knickers to be top sellers".

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote: We may continue to use the Street Fighter licence in other ways. We have looked at the prospect of creating a new Street Fighter clothing fashion line. We expect Sakura and Chun-Li branded knickers to be top sellers".
Only if they are used...........

Oh wait, not real girls

Damn

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 am

So what you guys are saying is that Capcom should stop releasing these classic fighting games with online play because it's already been done to death? I had no idea. Can you tell me where I can buy these please? Ta.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 am

Jay wrote:
samhain81 wrote:
Joey wrote:You have to remember the only way you could play that game online up to that point was on GGPO which, although great, isn't always the most elegant/smoothest way of executing it.
Actually, your forgetting the street fighter anniversary edition for the original xbox, which was bundled with third strike and street fighter 2 Champtionship Edition for £20 retail. Both games were online for the original XBL, and had a good netcode which I was playing 8 years ago. So technically, capcom had already made that game available to play online for the previous generations. And it was backwards compatible for the 360, why the need to charge 1200ms?

£12 for a game that I technically owned already from MS and capcom in physical form, is alot to ask for.
The netcode on those games was garbage.
That Xbox version also instantly alienated the people who played on stick (ie. the majority) and so as a platform for that game, never took off.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Jay wrote:On the subject of the price of Capcom digital fighters - Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Marvel vs Capcom Origins are both half price (600 points) from today until the 15th.
Don't suppose there are any plans for a reduction on HD Remix? So badly want to play that game but not at £11.99 that PSN wants for it.

Sega prices are definitely better. I downloaded Fighting Vipers (one of my favourites) for a paltry £3.49. I think I paid £6-something for Daytona but that was definitely worth it and in the area of my £6-7 digital price preference/limit.

As for the topic in question, I hope this doesn't kill off a potential Darkstalkers revival! I do think all the companies involved have saturated the fighting game market in recent years but it's a good thing as much as a bad thing. At least we will have a healthy glut of fighters to fall back on if new releases do indeed slow down. I know I have plenty on my shelves (such as Blazblue, Arcana Heart 3, Battle Fantasia etc.) that I haven't even played yet so I don't need any new ones yet. I'd still think it was a shame if the fighting genre fell back into a slump though.

Still, it's not all Capcom; we still have SNK and the others to keep making fighters :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 pm

I bought the Marvel Vs Capcom Origins on XBLA today as I think 600msp is a little more reasonable. Like I said, i dont like paying much more than a fiver. enjoyed playing it until I got to Onslaught on MvC. Effin ridiculous! Both games play well still although its hard to find get back into 'the feel' after playing MvC3.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... successful

Capcom: Darkstalkers Resurrection hasn't sold well enough to be considered successful

Problem is, it is a tad expensive

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:52 pm

DPrinny wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... successful

Capcom: Darkstalkers Resurrection hasn't sold well enough to be considered successful

I thought it was only 1200pts on the 360? Not exactly a bank breaker. Does it cost a lot more on the PS3 then?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 pm

DPrinny wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... successful

I don't think it's got anything to do with the price tbh but simply that its an old school fighter with limited appeal. That's not to say Darkstalkers isn't a good series because it is, however, it was fairly niche back in the day let alone in modern times. It was only ever going to appeal to hardcore fans which would represent a very small segment of the gaming public.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:41 pm

The fans were screaming for CVS2 and Alpha 3.

What they got was Darkstalkers...

Of course it didn't sell well.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Fans were screaming for a new DS game not more tarted up ports