No more updated versions of Capcom fighters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

No more updated versions of Capcom fighters

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:56 am

So what, no more Street fighter 2 ports?

Don't expect more updated versions of classic Capcom fighting games, the publisher has said.

Following high definition reworks of the likes of Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel Super Heroes, Darkstalkers and Puzzle Fighter, Capcom will "slow down" on development of similar projects.

Why? Because of a drop-off in sales.

"Sadly, I think we've probably run the course of feasible titles here given the drop-off we've seen in sales with each new introduction," Capcom USA boss Christian Svensson wrote on the Capcom Unity website.

"It seems the novelty of such projects is wearing off even within just the fighting game community based upon the sales data of our last two launches. That said, we have been quite prolific in these areas (despite the assertion above that we haven't) and it's probably time for us to slow down anyway."

Svensson was responding to a thread titled "Capcom should talk to SNK, Sega, and EA", in which "gohan16ken" complained about the apparent struggles Capcom has experienced with the digital re-release of its back catalogue of games in comparison to the likes of Sega and SNK, which have re-released several of their old games on the Virtual Console, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade.

Svensson explained the complicated process Capcom must go through to re-release PlayStation 1, PS2 and PSP games on the PSN.

"There are three filters that must be passed in order for this to happen," he said. "First, Sony has to verify that the title in question works in their emulators (not all do). Second, all IP clearances must be had. That is to say, we must have digital distribution rights in the original agreements with middleware, voice actors, musical score, etc. Third, there must be an existing licence in force in the case of something that uses non-Capcom IP (e.g. SNK, Marvel, Xmen) and also no legacy IP issues.

"At times in the past teams have infringed upon other third party IP and new IP sweeps must be conducted to ensure that this is not the case in a given version. Once all three points are met, Sony takes control and it is up to them when and how it releases (though they do coordinate with us)."

More likely is the digital release of games that were previously disc-based - say Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter x Tekken or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Doing this on Xbox 360 is "easy" Svensson said. On PS3 it's more difficult, "however it's being done as a matter of the planned development on all forthcoming titles".

"So in short, what we can bring to you in these forms, we are doing so," Svensson added. "That doesn't mean EVERYTHING will show up and to set expectations, I think you should prepare yourself that not every fighting game we've made will receive even one of these treatments.

"I do not believe that conversations with SNK, EA, Sega or anyone else is going to alter these issues."

That's that then.
Its not like they are gonna give us Rival Schools anyway

snowkatt

Re: No more updated versions of Capcom fighters

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:09 am

in other words people are getting tired of having to pay top money for the same old crap being trotted out ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 am

snowkatt wrote:in other words people are getting tired of having to pay top money for the same old crap being trotted out ?
its finally happening....................

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:12 am

ye gods maybe people will finally stop buying cod and Ea sports games !

as if that will happen

most likley capcom just over saturated the market with re releases and we are all feeling re release fatigue
it wil flare up again soon enough

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am

I think the price point was the biggest reason for the let down. 1600msp for a filtered port of JoJo's? No thanks. I would have gone for it for half the price despite owning the ps1 version. It would have been nice to play it online. Also, SF3 was a massive let down with all the bugs on launch.

Everyone wants a new Darkstalkers so perhaps they should focus on that instead of poor and overpriced ports of their back catalog.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 am

snowkatt wrote:in other words people are getting tired of having to pay top money for the same old crap being trotted out ?
Yes people are tired of being able to play online versions of some of the best fighting games ever created like Third Strike on current hardware which sits in their living rooms connected to their main TVS with their nice TE sticks. What a hateful experience.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 am

going for silly money no less

must have missed the part where i said something about fatigue

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 am

Jojo's, yes, but I think Capcom counted on that selling big in Japan where Jojo's is big news. Silly, I admit. 1200 for TS or DS isn't much of a stretch though IMO.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 am

Jay wrote:Jojo's, yes, but I think Capcom counted on that selling big in Japan where Jojo's is big news. Silly, I admit. 1200 for TS or DS isn't much of a stretch though IMO.
Its a bloody huge stretch! what are you smoking?

Thats like £10-12. Almost what a AAA physical title would cost a couple of weeks after release.

Being a digital release no less, which hardly ever see's a sale or discount in price, is ridiculous.

You know how much Sega's fighters like Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 cost? 400ms points. There's a little more content in the capcom fighters I admit, but not enough to warrant an £8 increase.

I know your a capcom/fighting fan, and I respect that, but seriously, stop being such a capcom cum-gurgler

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 am

All the digital Capcom fighters have been discounted. Pay attention and you could have bought all of them bar DS for half price before now.

I can't see what bearing a discounted retail game has on the matter. You can buy FIFA 09 for 99p. Should all games cost 99p?

Capcom cum-guzzler? haha. Grow up eh?

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 am

Jay wrote: Grow up eh?
ok

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 am

samhain81 wrote:
Jay wrote:Jojo's, yes, but I think Capcom counted on that selling big in Japan where Jojo's is big news. Silly, I admit. 1200 for TS or DS isn't much of a stretch though IMO.
Its a bloody huge stretch! what are you smoking?

Thats like £10-12. Almost what a AAA title would cost a couple of weeks after release.

Being a digital release no less, which hardly ever see's a sale or disocunt in price, is ridiculous.

You know how much Sega's fighters like Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 cost? 400ms points.

I know your a capcom/fighting fan, but seriously, stop being such a capcom cum-guzzler
Given the fact that Third Strike was pretty much the most requested of Capcoms fighters to be given the updated/online treatment, a tenner isn't that much for what they offered.

You have to remember the only way you could play that game online up to that point was on GGPO which, although great, isn't always the most elegant/smoothest way of executing it.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 am

Although tbf, the Capcom port also uses GGPO and it still isn't the smoothest experience. With a good connection it's ace, but the rollbacks aren't great otherwise. I wish they'd used the same netcode they use for SFIV/MvC3.

For me, 1200 points is a steal for something like Third Strike but I guess it depends how much you get out of a game like that.

I'd happily pay 1200 for a SFA collection too.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 am

Joey wrote:You have to remember the only way you could play that game online up to that point was on GGPO which, although great, isn't always the most elegant/smoothest way of executing it.
Actually, your forgetting the street fighter anniversary edition for the original xbox, which was bundled with third strike and street fighter 2 Champtionship Edition for £20 retail. Both games were online for the original XBL, and had a good netcode which I was playing 8 years ago. So technically, capcom had already made that game available to play online for the previous generations. And it was backwards compatible for the 360, why the need to charge 1200ms?

£12 for a game that I technically owned already from MS and capcom in physical form, is alot to ask for.
Last edited by samhain81 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 am

Fighting games take a long time to master and it is a little overwhelming going between so many. For example, i play SSFIV A LOT, and the transition between that and Blazblue is difficult for me to adjust to. Therefore i need to put time back in to BB to enjoy it. Not only that, as someone that likes to play online a lot its often worthless if there is no community behind a game. I loved Arcana Heart 3 but there was little to no online lobbies to be found, therefore putting any serious time into it was pointless to me.

I just cant justify spending over a fiver on digital purchases now. at least if i stop playing a game i might be able to pass it on or sell it. having a hdd full of hundreds of pounds worth of games is a waste to me. especially if i have some of these games on other consoles. Had they have had physical releases here i would have probably jumped though.....

on another note... I love a bit of Capcum but i would like to see new fruits from their loins instead of crusty old stuff. :wink:

shame every page thread ends up in name calling... jus sayin :roll: