Is DOS based MAME emulation bettter?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GarryG

Is DOS based MAME emulation bettter?

Post by GarryG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I've been cleaning out the loft and I've come across an old P3 computer, a VGA to TV (S-Video) converter, and a couple of old (S-Video enable) 14" portibles up there... I also found an old PS2 arcade stick, would this convert for PC use?

Anyway, naturally I was thinking about dedicating the PC (733Mhz, 128Mb RAM, currently running NT 4 Server no less!) into a dedicated MAME machine using one of the tv's (or I also found my old CUB monitor that I should be able to use, as the converter box can also do analogue RGB).

Would a DOS based MAME run better on this machine, or would it be ok with MAME through XP?
I won't be using the machine for anything else, although I may network it for easy access.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Antiriad2097

Re: Is DOS based MAME emulation bettter?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:17 pm

For a 733Mhz system, I'd be more inclined to run a DOS MAME if you have all the drivers to support that. If not, then I'd be looking at a Win98 installation (or possibly Linux) and one of the older MAME versions from that period.

The old PC I used for years was an 850Mhz CPU and worked pretty well with DOS MAME and a front end (MAME Classic). Played most stuff up to the early 90s ok, which is all I've ever asked of MAME.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:45 pm

I should still have all my old MAME stuff on CD, assuming it still works.
I've run Puppy Linix on this machine before and that worked fine, so I can put a bare Linux back on, if the DOS stuff dosn't run anymore.

Would Linux be the better option betwean that and 98?

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Windows XP won't run too well on only 128MB RAM, you'll need at least 256MB, even for a MAME machine. Perhaps an old version of Linux can run on only 128MB of RAM?

Processor speed won't be a major issue. I've been running a version of MAME on all of the PC's I've had since 1997, back in those days I only had a 486 100MHz system.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 am

a machine that old would most likley have pc 100 or ddr 1 ram
neither of which are that expensive to get a hold off

for xp 512 mb is best because its xp
2000 can trundle along with 256 mb
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

You wouldn't want to run XP on that system anyway, there's no point. None of the features would make MAME run any better, so much better to have Win98SE or a Linux install to save the resources for emulation instead of wasting them on a largely redundant OS.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:17 pm

GarryG wrote:I should still have all my old MAME stuff on CD, assuming it still works.
I've run Puppy Linix on this machine before and that worked fine, so I can put a bare Linux back on, if the DOS stuff dosn't run anymore.

Would Linux be the better option betwean that and 98?
I would go for Linux, as it's not as memory intensive as Windows and I'm sure the games will run perfectly. Think of it like an OpenPandora unit (even though it will be more optimised).
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

MattyC64c

Re: Is DOS based MAME emulation better?

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 pm

I would agree. For running a Mame only machine, Linux would be by far the best option.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 am

unless you plan to play other games on it then mame xp would help then :wink:
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:05 am

For that machine I would go for an old build of mame. I seem to recall v0.34 had very good speed on pc's at the time.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Up to about 0.86 worked well, it was something around that point I ran. If you go back as far as 0.34 the rom set is much more limited (though still extensive tbh).

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks, this machine has limped along with XP on it before, but I think I'll try giving the Linux route a go.

I should have old MAME ROMS around somewhare, but I generally only play a handfull of mid eighties to early ninties games anyway!

I'm just looking for something to justify not throwing the stuff I've unearthed ;)