Critically panned games that you enjoy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Critically panned games that you enjoy

Post by LAIS » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:02 pm

So I enjoy the PS2 game WWE Crush Hour. I bought it as it sounded like Destruction Derby, and when I played it it certainly felt similar to that game. However, critics panned it. Review scores weren't great, and averaged from middling to poor. But I still enjoy that game even now. So I'm wondering, what critically panned (or generally poorly regarded) games do you enjoy, and why...?

Mire Mare

Re: Critically panned games that you enjoy

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:49 pm

PN03, GC - I was late to the party with this game but found it fun, interesting, unusual and technically impressive.

Fist 2, c64 - Not as good as the original but took the brave step towards making Fist more of an adventure. I played it a lot, enjoyed it and still go back to it. Fist+, on the other hand, I did not like. It was a blatant attempt at mimicking IK+ a game whose lineage came from IK which itself mimicked WOTEF.

Bullet Witch, 360 - This was a lot of fun to play. I went on to complete it on all but the hardest difficulties. It didn't deserve the criticism it received - I don't think so at least.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Probably Boiling Point, I was fascinated by it, the open worldness and the jungle. That was back in 2004, and had always trouble playing the game. But everytime I came back to it. But then I played Stalker and Just Cause 2 which do have both the elements of Boiling Point. Far Cry 3 is a strong contender, even though I wish there was a more polished BP.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:48 pm

AMY wasn't as as bad as some people made out. It probably just wasn't what a lot of people wanted.

I've also been looking through my old Megardive games (cleaning out the loft) and found Shaq-Fu... ok it's not good, but it wasn't ET bad!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Pit Fighter - Arcade

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm

ET and Raiders on the 2600; nowhere near as bad they're made out to be.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 pm

A fairly recent one- Silent Hill Downpour. It wasn't a classic by any means, but a solid playable game, keeping the SH atmosphere while incorporating some fresh ideas.
It certainly did not deserve the 4/10 by IGN. Everyones entitled to an opinion, which is what reviews are when all is said and done...but that one seemed excessively harsh.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I'll second PN03. An excellent game.

Also I really loved Epic Mickey, a game the press were at best sniffy about. I have the second one but haven't played it yet. My wife has but she says it's crap.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Mission impossible on the N64. Finished it on all difficulty levels and enjoyed it even though it got panned for not turning out to be a game in the style of golden eye which everyone was expecting and got panned for it. Just silly really as it was ok

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Mire Mare wrote:PN03, GC - I was late to the party with this game but found it fun, interesting, unusual and technically impressive.

Fist 2, c64 - Not as good as the original but took the brave step towards making Fist more of an adventure. I played it a lot, enjoyed it and still go back to it. Fist+, on the other hand, I did not like. It was a blatant attempt at mimicking IK+ a game whose lineage came from IK which itself mimicked WOTEF.

Bullet Witch, 360 - This was a lot of fun to play. I went on to complete it on all but the hardest difficulties. It didn't deserve the criticism it received - I don't think so at least.
Agreed about Fist 2 - I really enjoyed that.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 am

kiwimike wrote:A fairly recent one- Silent Hill Downpour. It wasn't a classic by any means, but a solid playable game, keeping the SH atmosphere while incorporating some fresh ideas.
It certainly did not deserve the 4/10 by IGN. Everyones entitled to an opinion, which is what reviews are when all is said and done...but that one seemed excessively harsh.
I'll have to say Silent Hill Homecoming, a game I *really* enjoyed playing through, much preferred it to SH4 The Room! In my opinion, they did a very decent job with it, it has plenty of atmos and is nowhere near worthy of the slagging many gave it - for a Western-developed SH game, it could have been much, much worse.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 am

silvergunner wrote:Mission impossible on the N64. Finished it on all difficulty levels and enjoyed it even though it got panned for not turning out to be a game in the style of golden eye which everyone was expecting and got panned for it. Just silly really as it was ok
I enjoyed that too...any N64 game that didn't match Goldeneye was immediately deemed crap :lol:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 am

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Not great but not hideous either, some of the levels were brilliant others were uninspired but it was still a fun romp.

Aliens Vs Predator (360, PS3) - Another one that was mauled but I found it to be quite fun.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 am

The Bouncer :P

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Pit Fighter - Arcade
Some of the home versions were critically panned, the arcade most definitely wasn't. It got top scores across the board was raved about.

The one that springs to mind for me is Cruis'n on the Wii. The Metacritic score is about 40 but I personally think it's an excellent game.