Page 1 of 3

Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 am
by lavalyte
I've always been a fan of arcade conversions... it is one of the reasons I got into computers.

Here's my list of the best arcade conversions for the Amiga, in terms of both accuracy and gameplay

Space Harrier
New Zealand Story
Super Hang-On
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Pang
R-Type
Silkworm
Midnight Resistance
Arkanoid

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:09 am
by lavalyte
Oh, and Marble Madness.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:10 am
by psj3809
Nice list

New Zealand Story, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Silkworm were superb on the Amiga.

My dad never played on my computers much but we played a TON on Silkworm doing 2 player co-op, a great game

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 am
by joefish
Atari ST - same list.
Though maybe I wasn't such a fan of Silkworm.

Space Harrier with the mouse is great fun.
New Zealand Story was the first 16-bit game I bought, and loved it.
Super Hang-On was excellent and took up a lot of my time. Still play it loads on the GBA.
Midnight Resistance was a great game. I don't know if the conversions were easier than the arcade, but I could certainly get quite a way in it.

One I think is missing is Strider. It wasn't exactly a perfect conversion, but in my opinion the smaller sprites of the home conversions didn't overlap the scenery so much and made it all a lot more playable.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:25 am
by lavalyte
joefish wrote:Atari ST - same list.
Though maybe I wasn't such a fan of Silkworm.

Space Harrier with the mouse is great fun.
New Zealand Story was the first 16-bit game I bought, and loved it.
Super Hang-On was excellent and took up a lot of my time. Still play it loads on the GBA.
Midnight Resistance was a great game. I don't know if the conversions were easier than the arcade, but I could certainly get quite a way in it.

One I think is missing is Strider. It wasn't exactly a perfect conversion, but in my opinion the smaller sprites of the home conversions didn't overlap the scenery so much and made it all a lot more playable.
Space Harrier was particularly impressive on the Amiga because they overscanned it... made it look really arcadey.
God knows I played enough Amiga Strider and it was good, but just wasn't good enough. Like Forgotten Worlds. Very powerful hardware for a computer to emulate.
I really liked Midnight Resistance in the arcade and on Amiga. They did a good job converting the dial controller from arcade.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:31 am
by lavalyte
psj3809 wrote:Nice list

New Zealand Story, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Silkworm were superb on the Amiga.

My dad never played on my computers much but we played a TON on Silkworm doing 2 player co-op, a great game
In my case it was my brother and I... we never quite finished it but we came quite close. That last section as you enter the tunnel is tough.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:16 pm
by Lord Innit
Pacmania was a very good conversion and it was full screen too.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:34 pm
by Hiro
Ninja Warriors was almost perfect, brilliant conversion.

Operation Wolf and Operation Thunderbolt were also good.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 am
by lavalyte
Hiro wrote:Ninja Warriors was almost perfect, brilliant conversion.

Operation Wolf and Operation Thunderbolt were also good.
I was impressed with any Amiga game that did a good smooth sprite scaling game. Operation Thunderbolt was great for that. So was the Batman game.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 am
by JazzFunk
Toki, Ghosts N' Goblins and Paperboy were all very decent on Amiga. I never played the arcade versions of St. Dragon or Dragon Breed, but the former was pretty cool, don't know how close it was though.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:05 pm
by Doddsy
In my opinion I found these to be good conversions;

Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters.
Strider.
Ghouls And Ghosts.
Gauntlet
and
Commando from Elite.
Dragon Ninja.
Slyspy Secret Agent.
Mortal Kombat


The poor ones that I really wanted them to be good are;
Rolling Thunder
Outrun
Renegade
Shinobi

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:30 pm
by paranoid marvin
The problem with most arcade conversions for the Amiga was that with only 1 fire button, any game that required 2 or more was really struggling.

Some great games mentioned, certainly graphically speaking although not anywhere near as accurate as most console versions. Tbh I bought my Amiga more for games like Wings, ICFTD, Hunter, Wings of Fury, Pirates! etc; if I'd wanted to play arcade conversions I'd have bought a SNES or MD.

Operation Thunderbolt worked very well with a mouse, Pang was good fun and New Zealand Story was far superior on Amiga than the consoles.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm
by Hiro
The only fire button was a disadvantage no doubt, but this does not excuse the terrible programming for many of them... for example racers like Out Run, Chase HQ, Special Criminal Investigations, Turbo Outrun were terrible.
Power Drift (programmed by ZZKJ, the same guy that converted Super Hang-On) was a behemoth to convert and was quite "choppy" on the Amy, but it probably wasn't easy to do better.

Golden Axe was another good conversion, instead.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 pm
by AmigaJay
The Amiga was best known for its original games rather than arcade conversions, though one that did impress me back in the day was Toki, IMO the best port outside the arcade.
A lot of ports were sadly ST ports that didnt take full advantage of the hardware, but some of the above that's been mentioned are pretty decent.
Nowadays I just play the original games on each format and leave it to MAME for my arcade fix.

Re: Best Amiga Arcade Conversions

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:15 pm
by resident paul
Robocop!

Which was done first?

It is the same question for Marble Madness as well!

But anyway it is a great walking shoot em up part platform game.