Thoughts on Disney Closing LucasArts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Thoughts on Disney Closing LucasArts

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Did I miss any?
THQ? Oh wait...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: Yeah, Namco suck too. :wink: :lol:

Oh wait Soulcalibur 5

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm

ALK wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:looking back through their catalogue I don't think I really played many of their games. I suspect the LucasArts name will die but the games will continue

Would love to know Star Wars 1313 is still in works?
Canceled apparently, unless a 3rd party developer takes over the project.

Which is a shame, as that makes Kinect Star War their last ever Star Wars game... :/
*shudder*

How did they go from making TIE Fighter, one of the best space flight sims ever made, to Kinect *sob* Star Wars?! :(

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:looking back through their catalogue I don't think I really played many of their games. I suspect the LucasArts name will die but the games will continue
In that case you are one lucky sum'censored. Start with The Secret of Monkey Island, then the Indiana Jones games, then... just go through the entire back catalog. You will not be sorry. Unless you hate well written, hilariously funny adventure games, epic space flight sims and immersive FPSs.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:10 pm

They were a great software company... up until about 15 years ago.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm

I liked The Force Unleashed, the Wii version is a lot of fun up until the final battle.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm

So we won'tget the Boba Fett game Star Wars thirteen thirteen very annoying
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I liked The Force Unleashed...
Ditto. Rather pathetic though that that game was probably the last truly decent game LucasArts released... four and a half years ago now. :?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Shinobi wrote:So we won'tget the Boba Fett game Star Wars thirteen thirteen very annoying
Has there been that meany Star Wars games?

And here's me thinking EA is bad

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 am

I never really was a fan of the company but I know there are tons of people out there that loved them for the games they put out in the past. I like it to the way Square Enix is now. Yeah, the company was a lot better before they merged, putting out much better games, but for all their faults, I can't bring myself to despise them. I think the real bummer here is all those people that lost their jobs. 150+ layoffs in one fell swoop? Ouch.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 pm

They were a shadow of their former selves in recent times. Like other people here, I have fond memories of their early games(Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Ballblazer, etc.). Their last couple of games have just seen them milk their licenses(Indy and Star Wars), plus I suppose that the market for their old point and click adventure games has gone now. The only games of theirs that I liked recently were the KOTOR games. However, they were outsourced under license(Bioware and Obisidan respectively).

englebert3rd

Re: Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:52 pm

kiwimike wrote:I was initially saddened by the news, but as others have pointed out it may not be such a bad thing tbh
Have to agree.
The name is what is nostalgic for me, of course after growing up with Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, The Dig, Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. Recently it didn't do anything other than Star Wars games, with the occasional produced "external" game.
I'm sad and glad in a way.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

LucasArts will forever have my thanks for giving me Rescue on Fractalus, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Star Wars: Battlefront and Day Of The Tentacle. I've had much in the way of enjoyment from that quartet of games.

Sadly, LucasArts became minor players in more recent times and I won't miss them now they're gone.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm

The funny thing about Star Wars is that in the early 90s I think a lot of people wondered why they didn't do any Star Wars-related games. There were a lot of letters in mags asking when there would be a Star Wars graphic adventure. Then when they finally did start making games based on the licence they quickly went too far the other way and stopped making anything else!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 pm

killbot wrote:The funny thing about Star Wars is that in the early 90s I think a lot of people wondered why they didn't do any Star Wars-related games. There were a lot of letters in mags asking when there would be a Star Wars graphic adventure. Then when they finally did start making games based on the licence they quickly went too far the other way and stopped making anything else!
Heh, I wished they did a Star Wars point and click adventure (forget Rebel Assault)!
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev