Thoughts on Disney Closing LucasArts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Morkin

Thoughts on Disney Closing LucasArts

Post by Morkin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Game Informer has learned that Disney is closing its LucasArts game publishing subsidiary. We received an email from a LucasArts representative confirming the news.

The official statement from Disney (which recently acquired LucasFilm and LucasArts) reads as follows:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

In some ways, the news is not a surprise. LucasArts had seemed directionless in recent years. The company's core business of games based on the Star Wars license have been largely disappointing in both quality and sales. While the company had some success with games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the Battlefront series, both of those franchises seemed to have died on the vine. The cancellation of Star Wars Battlefront III was particularly ugly, which led to nasty public fingerpointing between LucasArts and developer Free Radical. The BioWare developed MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic (which was co-published with EA) won strong reviews but failed to maintain subscribers, and was eventually forced into instituting a free-to-play business model.

LucasArt's other big franchise, Indiana Jones, has failed to make much of a dent in games in recent years, with the exception of Traveller's Tales LEGO Indiana Jones series that, once again, was not developed by LucasArts. Meanwhile, series like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, which are both heavily influenced by the Indiana Jones films, have thrived.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... sarts.aspx

FatTrucker

Re: Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Like a lot of old publishers, all that really remained of the original creative dev/publisher was the name. Lucasarts hasn't really done anything good or creative for years apart from manage Star Wars IP (badly).
Shame to see another once great name go down the pipe but its not going to have any real impact on todays industry for gamers, apart from the possible sale and/or licensing of some of their older IP that was all abandoned to concentrate on Star Wars in recent years.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:45 pm

It was a mercy killing. The shambling corpse of a once great games developer is finally laid to rest. Its just a pity it managed to censored out The Force Unleashed before the executioner got to it.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Surely this just means that Star Wars tie-in games are just published by Disney themselves. Considering the quality of some of Disney's previous games, that might not actually be a bad thing.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Even though the company hasn't produced anything I wanted to play since the days of Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island (it's licencing of the Monkey franchise to Telltale for Tales aside) it's still very sad for anyone who liked adventure games in the early 90s to see them go. The only good news is that franchises like Monkey Island and GF are now (presumably) in the hands of Disney, who might decide to actually do something with them. Wouldn't that be a novelty?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Its really sad to see them go :( Monkey Island, The Dig etc. Also Star Wars 1313 has been caned really not happy about that
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 pm

There's a little dash of serendipity there too, since Monkey Island was inspired by the Disney Pirates of the Carribean attraction.
Also all the IP still belongs to Disney, so in light of Lucasarts being responsible for canning all non Star Wars IP the door is now open for all that old IP to be revived.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:53 pm

End of the day, its more jobs laid off, which is never a nice thing. :/ Hope they're able to find new jobs sooner rather then later.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Really hope Disney lets people who care about the I.P's develop new games for them, rather than doing an internal hack job on them.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:50 pm

FatTrucker wrote:There's a little dash of serendipity there too, since Monkey Island was inspired by the Disney Pirates of the Carribean attraction.
Well, that's the concern - that since they already have a much, much bigger and more profitable pirate-themed franchise on their hands they won't be interested in Monkey Island. Hopefully, though, if they don't want to do anything with it they'll at least sell it on to someone who does (Telltale?) rather than just let it rot.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:19 pm

If anyone needs reminding of how great Lucasarts used to be, watch this.

censored man, good times. Good times...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Is Monkey Island's location defined? Could it be in the Caribbean? That would be the obvious solution to both problems, making a big brand Monkey Island game viable for mass consumption. Even if its not there, Jack Sparrow could visit it. I think he'd fit right in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is Monkey Island's location defined? Could it be in the Caribbean?
"Deep in the Caribbean... Melee Island (TM)"

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

killbot wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:There's a little dash of serendipity there too, since Monkey Island was inspired by the Disney Pirates of the Carribean attraction.
Well, that's the concern - that since they already have a much, much bigger and more profitable pirate-themed franchise on their hands they won't be interested in Monkey Island. Hopefully, though, if they don't want to do anything with it they'll at least sell it on to someone who does (Telltale?) rather than just let it rot.
Lucasarts weren't interested in any of it other than Star Wars, there's a better chance that Disney will either directly develop some of that old IP or at least licence it to someone who will. Under LA all non Star Wars stuff was dead.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 pm

I was initially saddened by the news, but as others have pointed out it may not be such a bad thing tbh