Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DoraemonTheCat

Re: Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Having read the article in full, I think the comments regarding a proposed sequel to Rage are fair enough. Rage didn't set the world ID alight, and in a field being manned by the likes of COD, it was nothing really special. It wasn't a killer app, and after all the hype, it was overshadowed by the better game(s)

The comments about Doom 4 are seemingly just hyperbole. Lots of projects run into trouble during development - but the legacy of Doom means it is highly unlikely that it would get cancelled completely.

Regardless of the Ultimatum that Bethesda or it's parent company gave the team at ID (get it released within a year or else), they know that they would be shooting themselves in the foot by pulling the plug. Too many gamers WANT a Doom 4, so expectations are going to be sky-high, meaning there is a lot of stress to get the product out. However, I cannot see the Doom 4 development team pandering to the threat....these people know that Doom 3 was a mis-step and while not a sales failure, again failed to live upto the legacy of the original games. So, they will be trying to get as much right with a sequel or reboot, to ensure that the franchise can continue in the long term

A reboot would (imo) be the best way to go about the direction of the series. BUT, I'm pretty sure the devs of Doom 4 will want to try and get everything right, and this will inevitably take time. Rushed games nearly always get released with glitches/bugs or gameplay issues - and if this happened with Doom, then the series would almost certainly be finished for good.

So to summarize - there is just to much invested in the Doom IP. It won't get cancelled, and I really don't see it being rushed to release just to appease the suits with the money. I know that's how things are generally run with most game studios, but I think ID should be afforded more time - should they see fit. In the world of FPSs - they are gods for christs sake and everybody should bow to them!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Its hard to miss this story on Kotaku thanks to there new THIS IS IMPORTANT SO IT GETS A PICTURE THATS BIGGER THAN THE REST layout
(Or bloody annoying)

Going off the probably screenshots of DOOM4 its probably a good thing, it looks soooooo bland

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 pm

The "supposed" Doom 4 leaked pics could serve to do something else - gain momentum amoung the gaming community. There's no such thing as bad press, right?

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:48 pm

I like the way ID games have a similar style, I like the heavy guns and action. Rage was exciting with the RPG and vehicle elements added to the action but was drawn out like a Bethesa game.

Doom 3 is close quarters, corridor fighting with limited resources and health. You have to treat sections like a puzzle game, dieing continuously until you find the right solution to the Demon based problem. Once you get past a difficult area it's like censored Yeah I'm a Space Marine on Mars, it's going bat censored crazy and I'm shooting everything in the face.

Or I could be the Rookie in an Elite Squad of blah blah blah just like in every other FPS out there.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 pm

As others have mentioned, Doom has been left behind a bit and Rage wasn't very good.

I'm sure we will see another Doom in some form eventually as it does still have a strong fanbase but there is so much competition in the fps genre that they are unlikely to ever reach the levels of past glories.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I'd buy Doom 4 on the rage engine right now

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 pm

RUOK wrote:I like the way ID games have a similar style, I like the heavy guns and action. Rage was exciting with the RPG and vehicle elements added to the action but was drawn out like a Bethesa game.
It was also bloody short

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Doom 3 was a misstep IMO, a good game in its own right, but a poor entry in the series. Less story, more action! And better maps!
Agree, good game, but should have been called something else IMO. It wasn't Doom, to me.

But I like Rage & Dooms in general, so sad news indeed.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 am

Sorry, just a personal bugbear - it's id, not ID. They're named after the part of the psyche that is concerned with instinct and impulse in the Freudian model of psychoanalysis.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 am

No Romero no sale for me, since he left all the great design and fun of the games left with him.....couldn't care less if Doom 4 never arrives.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 am

killbot wrote:Sorry, just a personal bugbear - it's id, not ID. They're named after the part of the psyche that is concerned with instinct and impulse in the Freudian model of psychoanalysis.
I lol'd

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:43 am

koopa42 wrote:
killbot wrote:Sorry, just a personal bugbear - it's id, not ID. They're named after the part of the psyche that is concerned with instinct and impulse in the Freudian model of psychoanalysis.
I lol'd
Hey, you knpw about my penchanr fot slavisg accuravu.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 am

Yer it well bad innit bruv

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:48 pm

I am so sorry. After reading my post, you probably wanted to kill me to death.

id not ID.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:49 pm

That's OK, I thought it was ID for years ..... and years