Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

theantmeister

Re: Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Post by theantmeister » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 pm

killbot wrote:Sorry, just a personal bugbear - it's id, not ID. They're named after the part of the psyche that is concerned with instinct and impulse in the Freudian model of psychoanalysis.
Where do you stand on DooM?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:06 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:There's no such thing as bad press, right?

Tell that to EA and Gearbox :P

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:I am so sorry. After reading my post, you probably wanted to kill me to death.
Yes, that's a not-at-all-overdramatic reading of the situation.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 am

No surprise re Rage - it wasn't that good (the vehicle sections I found horrible) and it didn't sell - It was dirt cheap inside a few weeks.

Doom 4 is more surprising.... maybe some old franchises are best left in the past though.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 am

To be honest Doom 4 needs to be something like Serious Sam, it can be cinematic and gives you a bit of freedom and not many scripted sequences. Now take the map design and make it like the old times, and you're pretty much sorted.
Shame though about Rage 2 as it could've been improved, especially the ending! C'mon, it needed a huge ass boss at the end, not an army of "monkeys" with a gun that you don't even need to use (BFG? - Not that impressive of a gun). The textures were completely rubbish even for console releases (I've played it on PC).
Hopefully some company like Raven picks it up, or make Quake 5.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm

englebert3rd wrote:To be honest Doom 4 needs to be something like Serious Sam, it can be cinematic and gives you a bit of freedom and not many scripted sequences. Now take the map design and make it like the old times, and you're pretty much sorted.
Shame though about Rage 2 as it could've been improved, especially the ending! C'mon, it needed a huge ass boss at the end, not an army of "monkeys" with a gun that you don't even need to use (BFG? - Not that impressive of a gun). The textures were completely rubbish even for console releases (I've played it on PC).
Agreed about the maps. But the problem with that is the mostly younger adults + teen scrotes that are the bigger majority of recent FPSs would really NOT like maps that require using the grey matter a little! A a funny design in another recent post (I think it was chiptune's Doom blog feature and related thread in this very forum) showed the differences between maps back in the 90's and what we have nowadays - the now being pretty much a straight line.

Something else that I know alot of people really didn't like in the original Doom games were the searching for key-cards, but I never had an issue with it personally. Then again, I cheated and looked up solutions on youtube :D
And adding "cinematic sequences" should either be a big NO, or used very sparingly. It's like CGI in modern movies - usually overused and can actually look really poor/un-necessary.
But, breaking from the norm - I'd love to see some killer robots in at some point. Killer robots are so 8)

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:48 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
englebert3rd wrote:To be honest Doom 4 needs to be something like Serious Sam, it can be cinematic and gives you a bit of freedom and not many scripted sequences. Now take the map design and make it like the old times, and you're pretty much sorted.
Agreed about the maps. But the problem with that is the mostly younger adults + teen scrotes that are the bigger majority of recent FPSs would really NOT like maps that require using the grey matter a little! A a funny design in another recent post (I think it was chiptune's Doom blog feature and related thread in this very forum) showed the differences between maps back in the 90's and what we have nowadays - the now being pretty much a straight line.

Something else that I know alot of people really didn't like in the original Doom games were the searching for key-cards, but I never had an issue with it personally. Then again, I cheated and looked up solutions on youtube :D
And adding "cinematic sequences" should either be a big NO, or used very sparingly. It's like CGI in modern movies - usually overused and can actually look really poor/un-necessary.
But, breaking from the norm - I'd love to see some killer robots in at some point. Killer robots are so 8)
Indeed, that what I was referring to about the maps. That design is quite true to be honest, I don't mind it for Third Person shooters, sometimes linear works on FPSes. But as you said people don't like finding for keys, and that was what increased the longevity of the games as the technology was limited back then. I might be biased on this point as I like Point and Click adventures.
And it's so true about the CGI, and games do suffer from this. One game that I liked being linear and CGI intensive was Bulletstorm, I pretty much enjoyed it for what it was and to be honest deserves another sequel.
I think if Doom 4 is going to be released, then it will be linear and there won't be a lot of monsters on the screen, as I think the game's engine won't be optimized at all and it will be "cinematic".
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 pm

AmigaJay wrote:No Romero no sale for me, since he left all the great design and fun of the games left with him.....couldn't care less if Doom 4 never arrives.
Yeah i agree that idSoftware hasn't produced anything that special since Romero got screwed over. Q3A was ok, but i've always preferred the UT games.
I still can't get over the fact that Tim Willits was given Romero's job, i mean wtf!

Anyways Romero! wheres my Daikatana II :wink: :lol:
englebert3rd wrote:Hopefully some company like Raven picks it up, or make Quake 5.

I hope that RAVEN aren't allowed anywhere near it, considering what they did with Quake 4 and Wolf (2009).

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:38 pm

What about Heretic :D They need to bring that back asap. No, I'm just kidding!

Will there ever be another Quake though? I thought it was one of the more revered shooters, especially where online deathmatch is concerned.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:12 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:Will there ever be another Quake though? I thought it was one of the more revered shooters, especially where online deathmatch is concerned.

Carmack's brought up Quake at QuakeCon a couple of years ago and in a few interviews since. Apparently in the next game he's thinking about returning to the medieval theme of the original Quake :D

If it does happen though, it won't be for a good few years yet considering the state that DOOM 4's development is in :(

Here's a short article from Eurogamer if you fancy a read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... next-quake

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Dreamer wrote:
englebert3rd wrote:Hopefully some company like Raven picks it up, or make Quake 5.

I hope that RAVEN aren't allowed anywhere near it, considering what they did with Quake 4 and Wolf (2009).
Forgot about Wolf 2009, but I liked Quake 4 really. So forget Raven, then I'd give Quake 4 to some indie developer like Flying Wild Hog (Hard Reset developers) or Croteam.
Still I wish for a Hexen or Heretic comeback too.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:35 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote: Something else that I know alot of people really didn't like in the original Doom games were the searching for key-cards, but I never had an issue with it personally. Then again, I cheated and looked up solutions on youtube :D
The buffering time on those videos must have been terrible, considering YouTube wouldn't be invented for another 10 years :mrgreen:
englebert3rd wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Forgot about Wolf 2009, but I liked Quake 4 really. So forget Raven, then I'd give Quake 4 to some indie developer like Flying Wild Hog (Hard Reset developers) or Croteam.
Still I wish for a Hexen or Heretic comeback too.
Quake 2 is probably my favourite FPS of all time. Agreed, Quake 4 was ok, not great, but certainly not terrible. I thought Raven had gone bust after Wolfenstein?

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 pm

theantmeister wrote: Quake 2 is probably my favourite FPS of all time. Agreed, Quake 4 was ok, not great, but certainly not terrible. I thought Raven had gone bust after Wolfenstein?
That's what I thought too, but apparently they are making some Maps Packs for Call Of Duty, so no games on the horizon. Quite low key they are now.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 pm

theantmeister wrote:
DoraemonTheCat wrote: Something else that I know alot of people really didn't like in the original Doom games were the searching for key-cards, but I never had an issue with it personally. Then again, I cheated and looked up solutions on youtube :D
The buffering time on those videos must have been terrible, considering YouTube wouldn't be invented for another 10 years :mrgreen:

Still I wish for a Hexen or Heretic comeback too.[/quote]
Quake 2 is probably my favourite FPS of all time. Agreed, Quake 4 was ok, not great, but certainly not terrible. I thought Raven had gone bust after Wolfenstein?[/quote]

As I stated in chiptunes AWESOME Doom retrospective - I missed the boat on the game when it was first out, and only managed to get into it when I got my Xbox modded. I am and have been playing Doom and Doom II that are present on Coi-ops 5