Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

koopa42

Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I am disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed rage and Doom for is just the most wanted game behind fallout and TES for me

theantmeister

Re: Rage 2 dead, Doom 4 in bad shape

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Wait, what?! Link?

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Links??

Why is Doom IV in bad shape? Who said dat!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm

yes linkage!!!!!!!

dodgy (ps3) texture pop and dud ending aside rage is an excellent game so that's a crapper and i don't get how doom 4 can be in bad shape.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Its on my forum, last time I linked I got reported for spam, click on my sig OR check kiriogmatsu or some site like that

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I must also confess that I was on my Nexus at the time and don't know how to cut and paste links :lol:

info here:

http://www.rp2mp.com/forums/5/1532

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:39 pm

koopa42 wrote:I must also confess that I was on my Nexus at the time and don't know how to cut and paste links :lol:

info here:

http://www.rp2mp.com/forums/5/1532
Oh, so you weren't just being an arse then? :wink:

That's not good news. I really liked Rage and I've been looking forward to Doom 4 for ages. All this talk of them using the Rage engine at half the frame rate to deliver loads of things to shoot at.

That's all we want id, we want to shoot lots of things in the face. Preferably with a great big double barrelled shotgun. What is this talk of set pieces? The only set piece I want is stuff like a wall collapsing and being jumped by a censored tonne of Imps.

Still, its not dead. And it sounds like they'll have another go at it. Hopefully they play some of Doom 1 and 2 and get the right idea this time!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 pm

ouch! that doesn't look good at all,from that it looks like id will be given the chance with doom 4 but if it doesn't do well then another developer bites the dust.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Yeah I agree, looks to be mismanagement rather than the company being in trouble? Well I hope that's the case because no id would make me proper sad

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Doom 3 was a misstep IMO, a good game in its own right, but a poor entry in the series. Less story, more action! And better maps!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:yes linkage!!!!!!!

dodgy (ps3) texture pop and dud ending aside rage is an excellent game so that's a crapper and i don't get how doom 4 can be in bad shape.

Certainly wasn't a bad game, but did feel as if it was treading water somewhat and not moving the genre forward as Doom or Quake did. Surely name alone would ensure Doom 4 sells well and as such developing it should be a priority?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't think Doom 3 can be blamed for this

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:yes linkage!!!!!!!

Certainly wasn't a bad game, but did feel as if it was treading water somewhat and not moving the genre forward as Doom or Quake did. Surely name alone would ensure Doom 4 sells well and as such developing it should be a priority?
yeah it didn't do anything different but what it did do it did very well,at first after reading the article i wasn't sure if you were referring to rage or the first build of doom 4 since it looks like it could easily be used for that as well :lol:

as for name alone,that's why i bought rage at release in the first place.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Rage was always a day one buy for me even before I knew it was id ..... this single TV spot sold it instantly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOllv49nnjs

Possibly the best game advert I've seen

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Reading the article on Kotaku it sounds to me like Zenimax and Bethesda expect too much from the Doom franchise.
This isn't the nineties, the FPS genre has been thoroughly mined by now. Good FPS games are the norm, to the point where a solidly decent game like Rage can be considered mediocre. In a market saturated with all sorts of quality FPS experiences Doom 4 is never going to have the same sort of "cultural impact" as the original Doom games. Probably the best ID can hope for is to produce a game that we can definitely say is "not crap", even if it doesn't exactly set the world alight, and appeases the fans enough to trade on the Doom brand for acceptable profits.
Going next gen early doors would probably be a good idea tbh. Quake 4 sold a lot more copies on the 360 than it deserved simply because there wasn't much else out there to buy at that early stage in the console's life. Although it looks like that might be too big an ask for a Doom sequel if the development has gone pear shaped.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.