My Day At The Arcades.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

My Day At The Arcades.

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:29 pm

I thought I might as well make a thread of this because I wanted to see how much interest there still is in arcade games in their natural environment and my post was getting buried in the What are You Playing thread.

I went to the local arcades today (Great Yarmouth) for the first time in a couple of years to see what if any interesting cabinets were about. A couple of interesting games were in residence that i'd never seen before.
Lost On The Island Of Spice from Sega was a huge two player cab that looked like the back of a safari jeep. The game was a kind of jungle exploration on rails shooter with giant animals and insects. Very cool.

A silent Hill Arcade game from Konami was a welcome sight. Another two player cab with massive stereo speakers above your head and a double gun mounting much like House Of the Dead. We got about 10 minutes of play on one 50P credit so it represented quite good value for money as some of the on rails shooters seem to kill you in seconds. Atmospheric and foggy the game was much as you might expect for an on-rails shooter based on the Silent Hill universe I really enjoyed the sound though. At several points during the first level a ships foghorn blasts out from above your head and shakes the whole cab... brilliant. We died at the end of the first level because we could not kill Pyramid head. The wiki page for this games states a late 2013 network release for current gen consoles so that will be very cool if it happens. Also the game had no attract mode so the title page had screen burned its image permanently into the visuals.

Another surprising game was a 2 player cab of the console racing game Grid from Codemasters. Yeah that took me by surprise also... Grid... really?

Finally, and I no idea this had been converted to arcades, was a Sonic and Sega all stars racing arcade machine. The cab looked fantastic and the game had a drift and accelerator pedal. The music from the Saturn game Sonic R was blaring out at high volume which was very cool. Weirdly, the game also featured a ticket payout for high scores.

Sega seemed to be by far the most prolific creator of arcade cabs on the whole. With several other cabs that i can't recall too many details of. There was a big Rambo cab that looked nice and a Sega dinosaur hunting game that had a small much higher res second screen on the front of the cab where spectators could see it and a huge Pteranodon hovering over a nest in the attract mode.

In general though it was sad to see fruit machines and prize penny pushers dominating where rows of gaming cabs used to stand but I suppose thats life and evolution, I'm told the Sega arcade in London has closed and the arcade industry in Japan is not what it was.

Anyway, that was my day at the arcades. :D
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

dste

Re: My Day At The Arcardes.

Post by dste » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Last July I attended the Sunderland Airshow and spotted some arcades which included Mario Kart and Terminator Salvation.

Didn't play Mario Kart but did try out Salvation, a racing game and another shooting game (unfortunately the names escape me) and it was good playing them, though Salvation was a bit dodgy on the aim.

We went into a couple of arcade places and their was a fair amount of them, though they were crammed in the back unfortunately.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Yeah, I saw a Salvation cab also but didn't play. I did wonder if it was the same game as the console movie tie in.
Last edited by gman72 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 pm

gman72 wrote:Yeah, I saw a Salvation can also but didn't play. I did wonder if it was the same game as the console movie tie in.
No it's completely different (made by Play Mechanix and Raw Thrills) and bloody awesome. Hard though. The machine guns 'reload' by smacking the spring-loaded ammo clip on the bottom and there's a button for launching grenades too. I always play this whenever I see it but it's usually a £1 a go and since it's a bit tough, it eats the money.

There's also an awesome Alien one out there called Aliens Extermination which I have only seen once but it's great.

Sadly, I only saw the Rambo one once and it was broken so I've never actually played it :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm

That's the oddest thing. The Rambo cab attracted me immediately but when I went over to look the game had an error message on a blank screen, weird, eh?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 pm

gman72 wrote:That's the oddest thing. The Rambo cab attracted me immediately but when I went over to look the game had an error message on a blank screen, weird, eh?
The screen was just black when I saw it :lol: . HotD 4 next to it was dead as well which also sucked. Luckily the latter was working when I visited the same arcade next time but Rambo was gone.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 pm

y'didnt look hard enough gman.

There's Point blank, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer, Ninja Assault, Galaxian, and Soul Calibur cabinets. :D

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Ah, gutted. I would have loved a play on Galaxians and Tekken3... we were a little rushed. :oops:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Rambo is good fun. Made on older cheaper arcade board technology to keep costs low, but boy is it a good daft laugh :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 am

I haven't been to the 'cades for a long time, I should make a pilgrimage! I was interested to hear of a Silent Hill Arcade game.

I really miss the old '80s arcades. The dark, dingy rooms with many little corners of fascination. The new ones are family friendly, well lit with many impressive cabinets and ticket spewing novelty games...and they are cool in their own way. But I cry for those old arcades of my youth :(

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Only ever visit the arcades once a year now, whilst on my holiday. Akihabara, Tokyo. Choice of games is second to none. Many, many retro classics sit alongside more modern warfare. Got plenty of pics, so will upload some shortly (not brilliant quality, mind!) - maybe you'll salivate enough to fund a trip. :D Almost all games are 100Y, though in most Sega zones you'll get two games for your money. 8)

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm

My best arcade memory is playing the Simpsons scrolling beat em up in 1990 or so on holiday. We all got into it, even my mum and dad.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:38 pm

been the Isle of Wight last couple of years and visited Arcadia in Ryde

Posted em before but here' pics of what was there retro wise last time I went -

Last edited by thebear on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Wow, I think i'm in love with the Mr Do cab :D
Nice pics thanks for posting. Does anyone have any cabs in their house?