Atari Jaguar

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: Atari Jaguar

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've got Tempest 2k for PC and never opened it yet :oops:
The DOS version published by Atari Interative or the subsequent Windows version published by Interplay?
Somehow it just doesn't seem right not playing it on the Jag.
Indeed. Especially so when using a modified rotary controller. Playing any iteration of Tempest using a d-pad is sorely missing out, imho.

I bought one immediately after first owning the console and T2K.
Negative Creep wrote:What about the Playstation's Tempest X3?
Here's a pretty definitive answer to your query from Jeff Minter himself - http://webspace.webring.com/people/bi/irata/tx3.html
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:55 pm

From that link you provided, Dreamcastrip, I can see Mr Minter has made a fair appraisal of Tempest X on the Playstation.
It is and remains to be a superb Playstation title and if you've never played the Jag version the small faults Jeff picked up on are not an issue because you never knew about them in the first place - the un powered AI droid always seemed a bit pointless and now I know why :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:11 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
The DOS version published by Atari Interative or the subsequent Windows version published by Interplay?l
This shall annoy me now as I really don't know, but a big chunk of my PC games are in boxes at the back of the loft under a pile of stuff and hard to reach. I really need to sort that out this year.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm

gman72 wrote:From that link you provided, Dreamcastrip, I can see Mr Minter has made a fair appraisal of Tempest X on the Playstation.
It is and remains to be a superb Playstation title and if you've never played the Jag version the small faults Jeff picked up on are not an issue because you never knew about them in the first place - the un powered AI droid always seemed a bit pointless and now I know why :D
Yep, a very fair and balanced appraisal of Playstation's Tempest X3 from Minter. Other than the relatively crappy AI of the AI droid I thought another key part of his critique was,
Another difference in the gameplay is in the behaviour of the Particle Laser and Spikes. In 2K, the Particle Laser makes very short work indeed of Spikes, eroding them almost instantly. In X3, it has no discernable increase in efficiency over the standard laser when shooting Spikes. This means that Pulsars over a spiked lane become a lot more dangerous. Now, I can see that maybe they wanted to deliberately make Spikes more of a bother in X3 - fair enough. But it's a big flaw that the same thing now happens in 2000 Mode - the Particle Laser does not kill Spikes like it should. I sincerely hope that they haven't made the same mistake in the other versions of the game for the Saturn and Windows, because those are being sold as straight T2K, and the fact that the Particle Laser doesn't nail Spikes properly alters the balance of the gameplay considerably. (This is the reason I wish that they had shown me the conversions prior to release - I could have trapped silly errors like this).
Overall though it's still a very worthy effort.

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
The DOS version published by Atari Interative or the subsequent Windows version published by Interplay?l
This shall annoy me now as I really don't know, but a big chunk of my PC games are in boxes at the back of the loft under a pile of stuff and hard to reach. I really need to sort that out this year.
Get yourself up those ladders and start rummaging already! :lol:

On a related note it'd be interesting to know how well or otherwise the PC versions of T2K work on a modern PC (presumably) via DOSBox.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 pm

F**K the spikes in the Saturn version

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 am

I don't like Tempest personally.
I do however like Hotel Mario. It amused me greatly when I played it :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:24 am

Mootown wrote:I don't like Tempest personally.
That was a CD-i game though, not Jaguar ;)

You enjoyed playing Zero 5, Impulse X and Ruiner Pinball on my Jag IIRC.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 am

The Laird wrote:
Mootown wrote:I don't like Tempest personally.
That was a CD-i game though, not Jaguar ;)

You enjoyed playing Zero 5, Impulse X and Ruiner Pinball on my Jag IIRC.
Oh yeahhhhhh :) oops. Yes, the Pinball game was great!

Evander

Post by Evander » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Awful awful system, games and controller. The only positive thing I can say about it personally is that I made a small profit when selling on my bundle last year.

RetroReserve

Post by RetroReserve » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:31 am

Here I my thoughts on the system and games from a similar thread last year:
Although I did not buy a Jaguar on release I did rent one out a few times from a local games shop just after release. Played Doom, AvP, Cannon Fodder and Syndicate at the time and really liked the console but knew I didn't want to buy one with the Saturn and PSOne on the horizon.

I bought mine as old/new stock from Game when they started selling them again about 10 years back. Got one for £29.99 and quite a few of the games in my collection I bought new back then as well.

With regards to the controller I actually quite like it. It feels comfortable to hold and the keypad is quite handy for alot of the games. Especially for conversions of PC/Amiga games where you would normally have a keyboard. The overlays were a nice touch. The only two issues I have with the controller are the lack of shoulder buttons, which is really evident in FPS games, and the A, B, C buttons and directional pad are a bit too stiff. It doesn't feel like you are actually pressing the buttons sometimes.

At the moment I have 28 games for the Jaguar and although I would like a complete collection I do not collect for it as intensely as I did my Sega Master System collection. Some thoughts about the games are below:

Excellent games:

Wolfenstein 3D - A solid conversion that runs very smoothly. Only stafing is an issue due to no shoulder buttons.

Theme Park - My favorite version of this game. The menus make good use of the keypad and some of the features missing from the Megadrive/SNES versions are present here.

Syndicate - Another great conversion.

Pinball Fantasies - A fun and addictive pinball game. Pinball isn't something I would normally play but I usually play this when I get the Jaguar out.

I-War - I reckon most people may find this rather average but I think it is quite a fun little shooter that could have just used a bit of variety between levels.

Iron soldier - Really excellent game. If you can get over the basic graphics this is quite atmospheric. You really feel like you're controlling a 40ft tall robot and it tremendous fun to go rampaging around the cities. Great choice of weapons, especially the remote controlled missiles, which are mapped to the keypad based on their allocated positions on your robot. Highly recommended.

Flashback - Another excellent conversion. I haven't noticed any differences between this and the SNES/Megadrive versions.

Doom - As said elsewhere in the thread this is an excellent effort. My only issue like Wolfenstein is the iffy strafing controls.

Cannon Fodder - A great conversion that benefits from having the keypad.

Alien Vs Predator - The reason I wanted to play on a Jaguar in the first place. Oddly enough when I first rented the system, even though I thought AvP was okay, I found it very slow paced and I was not sure exactly what I was meant to do. I would usually just roam the corridors until I ran out of ammo and eventually died. I liked it alot more when I got hold of a copy about 5 years back. Once I sat down and mapped out the ships on graph paper and understood the objectives for each character I was hooked. The only downside I can think of off the top of my head is in the marine campaign. Once you get the motiontracker alot of the tension is lost as enemies cannot sneak up on you anymore. As said mentioned in this thread already one of the Jaguars best games.

Average/Good games:

Zoop - An good puzzler that can get quite frantic. Could have used some more variety in game modes.

Zool 2 - Good looking platform game that I find a bit too fast paced sometimes, which would be okay if the controls weren't as loose. I do like the odd play every now and again.

Raiden - I haven't played other versions of this so I can't comment on its quality compared to the others. An average shooter but if you're a fan of the series you may like it more than I do.

Pitfall: The Maiyan Adventure - An average but good looking platformer.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - An odd fighting game. Plays at quite a sedate pace but i have found myself playing it quite a few times and coming back to it when i get the Jaguar set up.

Defender 2000 - A very average package overall with a few variations of Defender. Some better than others. I guess it depends how much you like playing Defender as to whether you'll like this.

Missile command 3-D - See Defender 2000 above.

Cybermorph - I found this quite fun in short bursts. More variations in missions would have helped this be a bit more interesting and they really needed to lose the talking head.

Terrible games:

White Men Can't Jump - I don't know much about sports games but I know an atrocious one when I see one. Terrible graphics and awful gameplay make this a game I only ended up playing to make sure the cartridge worked.

Kasumi Ninja - Pretty bad Mortal Kombat knock-off. Only slightly redeeming feature is some of the weird characters that make it a curiosity.

Double Dragon V - Another poor one on one fighter.

Club Drive - Not really much of a game here. Feels more like a tech demo with a price tag.

Trevor McFur in Crescent Galaxy - Didn't like this shooter much. Boring gameplay although I did like some of the weapon power ups.

Evolution: Dino Dudes - Very boring and painfully slow paced Lemmings style puzzle game. I can't imagine anyone making it through the full 80 levels.

Bubsy - Didn't like the Bubsy games on the SNES/Megadrive and I don't like it on the Jaguar either. A very frustrating game.

And the rest:

The following games I have played but not being a sports fan I am not sure if they are actually good examples of the genre or not. It would seem unfair to say they are bad if the games are just not a genre I enjoy playing.

Troy Aikman Football
Sensible World of Soccer

I have also got a copy of Hover Strike but I don't think i have actually played it yet.

I would like to get hold of Tempest 2000 and Power Drive Rally in the future as they seem to have been well received in this thread.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am

I've got a Jag, and only own a game for it, which is Theme Park. I've never got much into the console to be honest, and will be selling it soon. It's got some nice entries, and wouldn't criticise the console (even though the controller looks quite impractical).
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm

I only have a small Jag collection and I don't necessarily rate the console that highly, but I enjoy the quality games that are available. One nice thing about Jag stuff is that it's still pretty easy to get new/mint condition games.

Anyone else pre-order the upcoming Jaguar release of Another World? :o

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:53 pm

ironmonger wrote:I only have a small Jag collection and I don't necessarily rate the console that highly, but I enjoy the quality games that are available. One nice thing about Jag stuff is that it's still pretty easy to get new/mint condition games.

Anyone else pre-order the upcoming Jaguar release of Another World? :o
No I didn't bother. It's a lot of money for a game I can get on numerous other machines cheaply.

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm

The Laird wrote: No I didn't bother. It's a lot of money for a game I can get on numerous other machines cheaply.
Yeah fair enough, I can't remember how much it was now, but I know they are going to charge extra if you want it posted in anything other than a jiffy bag.

Why go to all the trouble of creating a new release only to potentially have them mashed to bits in the mail?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:46 pm

As much as it is good to see a new game on the Jag, I also do not feel like dropping 50 odd quid on a game I found very frustrating to play on Amiga and SNES, just to have it in 256 colours, also I felt the 'pre-order now, but might not get released at all set up' rather off putting.

Much more interested in Impulse X, that looks class, just need some money at the moment to buy it.

I enjoy the Jaguar, Battlemorph, Tempest 2000, and Super Burnout being particular favourites, there is a tendency for the internet to concentrate on the negatives like Club Drive rather than the collection of decent to excellent titles it has.