Atari Jaguar

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SpykeXD

Atari Jaguar

Post by SpykeXD » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Ever since I picked up Retro Gamer's Atari Book (a very good read by the way) I've been wanting more Atari consoles. The problem is, no matter which one I grab, I'm going to run into trouble. Any of the computers would be a hassle since I'd most likely have to find someone who could repair them if something goes wrong (and the chance that I wind up buying a non-working one on eBay), and the Atari Lynx I'd have to wait until I get rechargeable batteries because otherwise I'd be spending more on batteries than games. The computers (specifically the ST) I can wait on, and the Lynx I'm working on getting the batteries I need, but it's the Jaguar that's giving me trouble right now. I kinda want one, and I do have the money to get one, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. Everything I've read has told me that it either is a terrible console or a console with potential but still not that great.

Typically when I pick out a new console I see if Retro Gamer or Classic Game Room have any information on it, and while Retro Gamer said a lot about the console, Classic Game Room has no information on it. Plus, from what I know Jaguar emulation is far from perfect, so if I tried to emulate games to see if It'd be worth it it wouldn't be any helpful. The few people I've told I want one tell me it's a bad idea, and I'm starting to think they're right. So far I've only found 3 games I would play (Rayman, Raiden, and AvP), and usually I try to find at least 10. So my question is, for those who do have a Jaguar, is it worth it? I don't want to waste my money.
If you can read this, you're too close to the screen

This is not the greatest and best signature in the world, this is only a tribute.

Like emulators? Join my Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retro4life

will2097

Re: Atari Jaguar

Post by will2097 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm

I enjoyed my Jaguar.

It's not got all that many great games, depends what you are into. In addition to what you mention:

Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier 1 & 2
Pinball Fantasies
Missile Command 3D
Zero 5
Battlemorph (if you a CD)

Depends on your expectations to be honest.

The next post along will no doubt lament the controller. Don't listen to them. It is despite the number of buttons, actually okay.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Seems you are not the only person on here Spyke. I know of 3 regulars on this forum who have just picked up a Jaguar but they were all afraid to post about it because the usual people turn up and pretty much ruin any threads about the Jaguar (just do a search for Jaguar threads and you will see). I was talking to them and helping via PM as the resident Jag expert here :D

Anyway here are a few useful links for you first of all:

Virtual Jaguar emulator: http://icculus.org/virtualjaguar/

This is probably the best Jaguar emulator out there but you will need a beefy PC to run it and there are still quite a lot of games that won't work with it.

Atari Jaguar review guide: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?page=atari1

Here you will find pretty much every Jaguar game released on cartridge and CD so hopefully you can find some more that pique your interest.

Here are a couple of decent You Tube videos about the Jaguar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2oyAaocX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhdntnNeb9g

Any more questions just ask! I can tell you what to pay, what you want, places to buy etc.

Feel free to PM me any time with any questions!

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 pm

If you grew up with an Amiga it might be worthwhile as the Jag has very good versions of Miggy titles like Sensi, Cannon Fodder, Zool 2, Pinball Fantasies and the (very underrated) Brutal Sports Football.

Besides that it has excellent versions of Doom and Wolfenstein (the former tied with the PS1 version for the definitive contemporary console port) as well as the excellent AvP. Outside of the FPS genre there's Raiden and Rayman (as you say) and of course Tempest 2000 which is generally regarded as the Jag's real killer app. I've not played Iron Soldier but I understand it's excellent.

Depends on what genres you like but I don't think it would be too hard to scrape together a list of 10 good Jag games.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Laird has definitely been a great help to me as a relatively new Jaguar owner so take that man's advice!

I'll also agree that the pad isn't bad at all. Ugly to look at but not uncomfortable to hold which is the main thing to consider.

Strangely enough it was The Atari Book that finally pushed me into buying a Jag too!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:12 pm

I bought my Jaguar for just one game (Tempest 2000), so your three needn't be a bad idea.

Given you can pick up a Jag and your three games for roughly the price of 3 new at retail games, that doesn't seem to bad.

On the upside, if you decide its not for you then Jags have at least been holding, if not increasing, their value so you can sell it on again easily enough.

I've had mine for a few years, still only have four games for it, but tbh I rarely remove Tempest 2k from its slot. Well worth my money imo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've had mine for a few years, still only have four games for it, but tbh I rarely remove Tempest 2k from its slot. Well worth my money imo.
Yeah it was the first game I bought for mine (outside of the ones that came with the console) and I haven't really had enough of it yet to want more games :lol:

I want to get Doom next though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:15 pm

My obligatory mentions of Zoop and Power Drive Rally every time I post in a Jag thread. :wink:

Now that's out the way, one thing I would say is upgrade the lead that connects the Jag to the TV as the picture quality through RF is horrible. You're in the USA so RGB Scart may not be an option but anything - even AV - is a noticeable improvement.

SpykeXD

Post by SpykeXD » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:28 pm

That review site is incredibly helpful. Thanks Laird! Hoverstrike looks very interesting and that site has finally answered my questions about the Jag version of Myst. The only other question I have is about the CD add-on. I've heard somewhere (it might have been Retro Gamer) that the add-on was poorly designed in such a way that the lid when closed could prevent the CD from spinning properly. Is this true? If so, is there a fan-made equivalent that I could get? I hear there's a lot of fan stuff for the console.
If you can read this, you're too close to the screen

This is not the greatest and best signature in the world, this is only a tribute.

Like emulators? Join my Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retro4life

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

SpykeXD wrote:That review site is incredibly helpful. Thanks Laird! Hoverstrike looks very interesting and that site has finally answered my questions about the Jag version of Myst. The only other question I have is about the CD add-on. I've heard somewhere (it might have been Retro Gamer) that the add-on was poorly designed in such a way that the lid when closed could prevent the CD from spinning properly. Is this true? If so, is there a fan-made equivalent that I could get? I hear there's a lot of fan stuff for the console.
That's a frankly ridiculous lie that I have heard a few times now.

Philips build the Jaguar CD and they don't make tat, they are actually very well made and not anywhere near as unreliable as people say they are. There are 2 common problems with them: the laser (as with all old CD consoles) and this is a common part being that Philips made it so its easy to replace. Spindle - this is often stuck where people have pushed down the CD when they have put it in. Easy fix, just pop it back up with a butter knife!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Wish I could afford a CD drive :( . I think the reliability rumours mostly come from the AVGN videos he did. I like watching AVGN vids but they aren't intended to be wholly serious.

Laird, I assume you mean that old Phillips stuff was good? Just saying because everything Phillips-made that I have had (mobile phone, DVD recorder and oven to name three) has broken really quickly or just been crap! Might just be coincidence I suppose.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Megamixer wrote:Wish I could afford a CD drive :( . I think the reliability rumours mostly come from the AVGN videos he did. I like watching AVGN vids but they aren't intended to be wholly serious.

Laird, I assume you mean that old Phillips stuff was good? Just saying because everything Phillips-made that I have had (mobile phone, DVD recorder and oven to name three) has broken really quickly or just been crap! Might just be coincidence I suppose.
Yeah old Philips stuff, I heard they are a bit sh1tty these days.

The AVGN vid did it no favours, I can't believe people actually take what he says as gospel.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:55 pm

KASUMI NINJA!!!

OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS FREAKIN AWESOME. I THINK I JUST DIED!!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Power Drive Rally is a must buy.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:56 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:KASUMI NINJA!!!

OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS FREAKIN AWESOME. I THINK I JUST DIED!!
Another won over by the majesty of Angus McGregor's MS Paint beard and fiery genitalia! :D