The best year for Videogames

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SonicTheHedgehog

The best year for Videogames

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 pm

I was just sat here wondering what the best year ever for videogames was and then remembered the insane amount of quality that came out in 1998. games that were released in the 12 months of 1998:

Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears
Parasite Eve
Starcraft
Unreal
F-Zero X
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tekken 3
Star Ocean: The Second Story (JAP)
Pokemon Red/Blue
1080 Snowboarding
Banzo-Kazooie
Grim Fandango
Half Life
Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Tomb Raider III
Sonic Adventure
Baldurs gate
Shining Force III (US/EU)
Gran Turismo (US/EU)
Ridge Racer Type 4 (JAP)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

I really can't think of any year that comes close to this for sheer quality and variety and i have probably missed quite a few top titles released that year. I know it's subjective but everyone must surely see how much quality this year offered. Nothing in the 00's has come even remotely close i.m.o.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

snowkatt

Re: The best year for Videogames

Post by snowkatt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:28 am

2004 and me disagree
2004 was a monumentous year as well

2004 saw
half life 2
counter strike source
steam
gta san andreas ( a game i utterly utterly hate )
doom 3
the DS
fallout brotherhood of steel
metroid zero missions
world of warcraft
metal gear solid twin snakes
farcry
unreal tournament 2004
thief deadly shadows
silent hill 4
burnout 3
everquest
fable
star wars battlefront
the sims 2
outrun 2
everquest 2
halo 2
vampire bloodlines
star wars kotor 2
spiderman 2
and the psp in japan

2004 was an absolutley glorious year for gaming and probably one of the strongest if not the strongest in the 2000's

and 1994 were also monumental years with top quality all around
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:43 am

2006. BF2:MC and Oblivion.

Those 2 title in the same year pretty much ended retro gaming and dragged me back to being a proper, current gamer. They are both outstanding games and BF2 still rates as the best online PvP experience so far.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:48 am

koopa42 wrote:2006. BF2:MC and Oblivion.

Those 2 title in the same year pretty much ended retro gaming and dragged me back to being a proper, current gamer. They are both outstanding games and BF2 still rates as the best online PvP experience so far.

just oblivion for me

but oblivion sims 2 and vampire bloodlines and you got the 3 pc games i can play endlessly
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:I was just sat here wondering what the best year ever for videogames was and then remembered the insane amount of quality that came out in 1998. games that were released in the 12 months of 1998:

I really can't think of any year that comes close to this for sheer quality and variety and i have probably missed quite a few top titles released that year. I know it's subjective but everyone must surely see how much quality this year offered. Nothing in the 00's has come even remotely close i.m.o.
I would have said 1998 myself!Perfect year.

But yeah, you missed the greatest game of all time. Thief - The Dark Project!
And you can throw Commandos - behind enemy lines, Sanitarium and Abe's Exoddus in the mix as well.

I think at least 5 games in my top 20 would be from 1998.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm

1991 easy for me

Arcade- Streetfighter 2, indy heat, Simpsons, splatter house 2, baseball stars,
megadrive - Road Rash, Sonic the hedgehog, John madden, rolling thunder 2, streets of rage, Wonderboy in mw IV
Snes jap- super Mario world, fzero, Pilotwings, super Castlevania 4, super tennis
amiga - lemmings, monkey island, f1gp, Turrican 2, lotus 2, populous 2, hunter, Supercars 2, xenon 2, ik+, alien breed, jimmy whites snooker, midwinter 2, vroom.
PC engine - parasol stars, PC kid 2,

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Snes jap- super Mario world, fzero, Pilotwings, super Castlevania 4, super tennis
1990 waves hello to the first three in your list there (in terms of release date in Japan).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:14 pm

For me it was probably 1997, the year I discovered RPGs:

Suikoden
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fallout
Castlevania: SOTN
Gran Turismo
Crash Bandicoot 2
Tomb Raider 2
Quake 2
Riven
Abe's Oddysee
Grand Theft Auto
Tekken 3
Parappa The Rapper
Age of Empires
Colony Wars

Though I have to admit that 1996 and 1998 are also favourites - just loved that PS1 :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Mayhem wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:Snes jap- super Mario world, fzero, Pilotwings, super Castlevania 4, super tennis
1990 waves hello to the first three in your list there (in terms of release date in Japan).
Yep my mistake, ill take the 91 us releases then!

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 pm

'94 was the first year that sprang to mind. '94-'99 were revolutionary times. What an era!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Combo-Breaker wrote:'94 was the first year that sprang to mind. '94-'99 were revolutionary times. What an era!
I don't think that era was revolutionary more than any other era, changes have been happening since the 60s, but I did enjoy the early 90s probably the most, mainly because the amount of new hardware out every year was amazing, some say it saturated the market...I say bullocks! It was a golden era of gaming, more choice for the consumer, change is great and competition thrived, nowadays we have to wait 5-7 years for new hardware, which means boring, tired rehashes of the same games, same styles, we want more hardware! At least the android revolution is coming with the Ouya, Shield and who knows what else this year to bring good new ways to play games instead of on dodgy tablets and touch screen phones.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 pm

AmigaJay wrote:
Combo-Breaker wrote:'94 was the first year that sprang to mind. '94-'99 were revolutionary times. What an era!
I don't think that era was revolutionary more than any other era, changes have been happening since the 60s, but I did enjoy the early 90s probably the most, mainly because the amount of new hardware out every year was amazing, some say it saturated the market...I say bullocks! It was a golden era of gaming, more choice for the consumer, change is great and competition thrived, nowadays we have to wait 5-7 years for new hardware, which means boring, tired rehashes of the same games, same styles, we want more hardware! At least the android revolution is coming with the Ouya, Shield and who knows what else this year to bring good new ways to play games instead of on dodgy tablets and touch screen phones.
Look at the difference in things like graphics...

SF II - MK - Tekken

Mario World - Earthworm Jim - Donkey Kong Country

3-D blew my (and many others) minds at the time.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 am

Combo-Breaker wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:
Look at the difference in things like graphics...

SF II - MK - Tekken

Mario World - Earthworm Jim - Donkey Kong Country

3-D blew my (and many others) minds at the time.
By the same standard you could say 84-89 from line graphics and space invaders to 3d sprite rotation blowing people's minds...there was 3d games in 1989 too....every era has big leaps.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:29 am

2013 so far has been amazing actually, so many good releases as the current gen has fully matured.
Tomb Raider
Crysis 3
Bio shock Infinite and many others

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Jeez some of you guys have amazing memories of what games came out what year! :lol:

I remember favourite moments from my 'gaming life' which I guess would equate to specific years, I guess my fave overall would be when I got the PS1 and had some awesome current games and great arcade compilations from my youth combined. Doom, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Silent hill, Namco, Williams, and Atari compilation packs...

Such a young industry though. So many leaps in tech advancement in 30-40 short years.